• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Liver health - *Mega-merged*

Ive heard artichokes are really good for liver health and rebuilding. I know some people who eat a lot of them and take pills after a liver flush. I eat them cuz I like them but they seem healthy too. Might be worth a try, they wont hurt you. I cant take milk thistle, it made me have a bad psoriasis flare before. Maybe Im allergic.

lazyvegan said:
having been consuming way too much alchohol for way too many years, i've been wondering what getting your liver checked involved? is it just going to a doctor for a blood test, or something more?
They draw blood, then look for certain enzymes in it. Levels of these enzymes indicate your liver health. It is a simple blood chemistry test. If they detect a large deviation in any of the enzymes, then they will investigate further with an ultrasound, or other methods.

God, I <3 my doctor. She keeps me in such good health, no matter how much I abuse my body.

Don't get any form of viral hepatitis (A, B, C, D...).
Don't drink ethyl alcohol or GBL/GHB to excess.
Do not combine Tylenol (APAP) with alcohol.
Eat a balanced diet and drink only clean liquids.

That pretty much sums it up.

Can milk thistle capsules go bad?

I have a bottle of it sitting in my room and I haven't touched it in forever and the cork on the top has a little hole in it so it hasn't been sealed tightly.

what does your pee look like? is it thick? is it white or yellow? and reddish in thier, or other colors?

are your eyes starting to turn yellow at all? around or in the eyeball?

yelloe eyes are a sign of jaundice, and should be investigated immediately!!!

I also swear by Milk Thistle, been using it after nights out drinking for years.

Milk Thistle (Sylmarin) is good, NAC (N-Acetyl-Cysteine)500mg 2x/day might be even better and act as a glutathione precursor, increasing natural Antioxydant defense.

Combine with 3x VitC (1.5g, or with fruits) to avoid possible pro-oxydant effects when not taking in combination.

NAC is good for toxic metal protection and chelation too.

And, people will call quackery, but 3 consecutive liver flushes ( http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=447) forum and recipe have improved my skin in a permanent way, and I metabolise alcohol faster now, hard to get drunk anymore??? Haha.

The problem I have is this : if you goto a doctor (being the 21st century) they should have some homeopathic (sp?) medicine and plant training essentials, don't you guys agree?? I mean they are so quick to promote the big top 5 or whatever pharmaceutical companies , i guess I just am happy that every year we start to realize (doctors mostly) that NATURAL herbal remedies do actually exisit...they should start to catch up. you wouldn't need Lipitor or whatever if you had of been properly brought up on mostly natural diets consisiting of less chemically produced food...that being said I guess I should take my own advice ;) off to mcdonalds now.....haha.....

LONG LIVE THE LIVER!

egor said:
Buy new Milk Thistle, it is not all that expensive. Why risk it??

It's expensive where I get it. And that's even the cheaper brand!

Try to sleep between the hours of 11 pm - 3 am supposedly when the liver regenerates itself.

Step 1: Don't freak out. Your liver is the most resilient organ in your body. Its job is to take impurities and filter them out; in our evolution as a species, chances are it was getting a lot more nasties than a bit of alcohol and meth (or whatever kind of damage you are doing to it). So long as your eyes aren't yellow and you aren't noticing any other textbook signs of liver damage, you are probably fine.

Step 2: If you are still worried about the health of your liver (and it's good to have a healthy amount of concern), drink a lot of water, cut back on the substance intake, take multivitamins, eat vegetables/fruits, and go ahead and get some of that milk thistle (I've never heard of it, but if so many people here think it's good, I trust them).

Step 3: If after all of that, you are still afraid of damage, go to your general practitioner. Get some bloodwork done. It is a really easy blood draw that can determine how well your liver is functioning. If there is concern of damage, they will do an ultrasound. One time I went to my doctor after a binge, and she took some blood, and later informed me that I had a high level of xxx enzyme (whatever it's called). She wanted to do an ultrasound, so I agreed, and went clean for a few days (3 max). When I went to the ultrasound, all was fine, no damage noted.

If you're below 40 and don't have any of the signs of liver damage, I would wager large amounts of money that you are fine. Don't freak out, and talk to a doctor if you do freak out.

crystalcallas said:
Try to sleep between the hours of 11 pm - 3 am supposedly when the liver regenerates itself.
i wonder how that works?
is that base on your body clock
or how many hours since sunset
please explain
try liver tablets like milk thistle
search google

/\ bodies have natural cycles... I think CC is right, I've heard this before. No studies at hand to back it up though.

I am cursed (or blessed) with a sluggish liver, and I've just done 3 full days of cleansing by just eating one thing.... brown rice (the round short grains, not the long grains) with nothing else ... no salt, no oil, nothing except for a bit of cayenne pepper and occasionally a splash of apple cider vinegar (both of which are also cleansing). And today I feel great - it feels like there's a load off my liver :) I should really go on and do it a few more days, but I think I'll start eating normally again tomorrow. I shall be doing this again soon though, it just feels great after the first day has passed.

My mood has cleared dramatically (irritation threshold way up!) and I just know it's because my liver is better.

I don't think milk thistle alone does all that much - not in my case anyway. I also throw in artichoke extract and dandelion ... there's product by a company called renewLife ... "Liver Detox" ... google it, I really can't be bothered to list all of the ingredients. Am trying it right now, just started yesterday- but I have used other products from thsi company and I feel that they're very good.

And there's something called Liv.52 from India, an ayurvedic herbal remedy that I have tried in the past and that made me feel good.
Check http://www.liversupport.com/ for more info. I found it really cheap on Ebay from people who brought it back from India / Sri Lanka themselves... the site also lists some Japanese remedy that's tried and tested, haven't tried that one yet though.

One more thing I have used - some people I know swear by it - is XIAO YAO WAN... Chinese herbal remedy. google it for ingredients and stuff.