European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Legality of poppies in the UK

kaosisallwesee

Bluelighter
So there's a massive patch (easily a small van load) of poppies growing on the side of a main A road near me. Would it be legal for me to go and harvest the stems to sell/use for flower arrangement and crafts on Etsy for example? The only thing I can find is an out of date news article stating that picking them was technically classed as processing, but also see countless companies and individuals selling them openly online.
Anyone got any idea? I don't want to get charged with possession of a class A, when I really do just want to sell them on Etsy! Lost my job because of the 'rona and think about it every time I drive past...

don't know about fresh/live ones, but it must be legal to sell dried Somniferums because there are online florists who sell them by the kilo, and these are legit florists who sell a whole range of other stuff

still, if you actually are planning on picking and selling them, don't quote me on that, because who the fuck knows with our crazy cops and laws. Sorry about you losing your job

So there's a massive patch (easily a small van load) of poppies growing on the side of a main A road near me. Would it be legal for me to go and harvest the stems to sell/use for flower arrangement and crafts on Etsy for example? The only thing I can find is an out of date news article stating that picking them was technically classed as processing, but also see countless companies and individuals selling them openly online.
Anyone got any idea? I don't want to get charged with possession of a class A, when I really do just want to sell them on Etsy! Lost my job because of the 'rona and think about it every time I drive past...
Look like you're meant to be there, wear a hi vis take a couple of traffic cones.
Noone will even look twice

I just went early this morning, filled 2 black bin bags to the brim (I'd say +500 pods) and only got about 1/20th of what was there. Going to make it a weekly trip until they're all gone! It'd be easy enough to pull up countless websites selling them if the police ever did wonder what I was doing.

Wow there must be a huge number - do you know what strain of poppies they are?

Here's a site I buy them from: **************

Last edited by a moderator:
I just went early this morning, filled 2 black bin bags to the brim (I'd say +500 pods) and only got about 1/20th of what was there. Going to make it a weekly trip until they're all gone! It'd be easy enough to pull up countless websites selling them if the police ever did wonder what I was doing.

Are you just harvesting the pods or the whole plant? If you're looking to sell them for dried flower displays you'd be best waiting until they've fully matured and the pods have opened - they look their best at this stage. Then chop the stem just above the top set of leaves so you've got the pod and 8 - 10 inches of stem. Then dry them out - preferably in the sun if we ever get any. Watch out for mould...

Forever changes: I'd estimate around 2-3,000 individual plants, they're growing out of mounds of excess earth from some kind of building project in the fields behind them. No idea on the strain some were purple and some where pink. I never took somniferum strains too seriously and assume they were the same under the different coloured petals. They were all the standard 4 round petals, rather than the frilly pom-pom type flowers.
F.U.B.A.R: I'm harvesting the whole plant, or at least ~40 cm of stem with each pod, then removing all the leaves and any flower pods/immature pods before hanging up to dry. The vast majority are pretty much mature. the crowns have started to raise up, pods are as big as they're going to get, but they haven't opened their seed hole bits fully yet (you can see where they're starting to, but not quite). The next harvest I attempt will be the following weekend, so I'm hoping most are dropping seed by then. Thanks for the advice.

"The California poppy, Eschscholzia californica, is the state flower of California"
i am just saying
different strains though. thought i just saw one.
my eyes are straining.
That's a different species of poppy. I think Forever changes was asking about the variety/cultivar, as the species is definitiely papaver somniferum :) Somiferum is unmistakable once you know what to look for and can often spot them a mile off due to their blue-grey tones and distinctive seed pod compared to other poppy species.

if you're selling them it doesn't matter but if you're going to make tea/eat them like I do you need Papaver Somniferums.

That said, I just noticed in the link I posted that the ones I buy don't say the strain name - I just assume from their look that they're Somniferums

That's a different species of poppy. I think Forever changes was asking about the variety/cultivar, as the species is definitiely papaver somniferum :) Somiferum is unmistakable once you know what to look for and can often spot them a mile off due to their blue-grey tones and distinctive seed pod compared to other poppy species.

do the ones from Martins look like P. Somniferums to you?

do the ones from Martins look like P. Somniferums to you?
Somniferum pods look fairly distinct even when dried, no other species of poppy are the same shape or size, making identification easy once you've seen a positively ID'd one :)
Just out of interest, how big are the pods from that place? And how many per kilo? Just so I can try and compare what I have.

Somniferum pods look fairly distinct even when dried, no other species of poppy are the same shape or size, making identification easy once you've seen a positively ID'd one :)
Just out of interest, how big are the pods from that place? And how many per kilo? Just so I can try and compare what I have.

they range in size from a couple of inches to ones the size of a tennis ball, so I can't really say how many you get, you just get a kilo's worth of varying sizes.

they range in size from a couple of inches to ones the size of a tennis ball, so I can't really say how many you get, you just get a kilo's worth of varying sizes.

How many grammes do you brew up to catch a buzz? Just wondering as when I've grown them myself I needed about 10 - 12g of bone dry pods with no tolerance.

How many grammes do you brew up to catch a buzz? Just wondering as when I've grown them myself I needed about 10 - 12g of bone dry pods with no tolerance.

I've never really 'caught a buzz' yet from poppy pod tea - just some very nasty side effects the next day. I have persisted with it, and I normally use 2-3x more gramme matter than you.

It's possible that I'm expecting too much from it and/or I miss any high, if it works as a subtle kind of drug. On the other hand I don't grow my own, I have to buy them - and I hear that there are strains of P. Somniferum's which have had their opium content more or less bred out of them. So I could just be cooking up dud pods with barely any opium in them. I just don't know

I've never really 'caught a buzz' yet from poppy pod tea - just some very nasty side effects the next day. I have persisted with it, and I normally use 2-3x more gramme matter than you.

It's possible that I'm expecting too much from it and/or I miss any high, if it works as a subtle kind of drug. On the other hand I don't grow my own, I have to buy them - and I hear that there are strains of P. Somniferum's which have had their opium content more or less bred out of them. So I could just be cooking up dud pods with barely any opium in them. I just don't know

This is why I asked. The site you linked charges around £22/kilo. If they were potent, then that works out to be bloody cheap. There are many cultivars of P. Somniferum that have been bred for decorative effect to the detriment of their opium content. I've grown many different types of P. soms over the years and I've found out that if the seeds come in a packet, they're generally shit. It wasn't until my dad gave me a bag of seeds from some he'd grown that I started getting results.

I've not grown any this year because I don't want to risk slipping back into a habit, but 10 - 12g of dried material would usually have me nodding out most of the night. It's not what you'd call subtle, but probably not as enjoyable as you would expect. It lacks the warmth of heroin or even opium - possibly due to the multitude of other active alkaloids in the mix.

Thanks for that, its still useful to know that size does vary amongst other sellers and its not just me with a mash up of all shapes and sizes :LOL:
Poppy tea has actually lead to a number of overdose deaths, after all it is just a solution of primarily morphine. If you want my advice, don't fuck with poppy tea! The is no way of knowing the potency, it can take a very long time to feel the full effects, it can produce nasty side effects (as you have experienced) likely due to a high % of secondary alkaloids. And can cause extremely strong effects.

This is why I asked. The site you linked charges around £22/kilo. If they were potent, then that works out to be bloody cheap. There are many cultivars of P. Somniferum that have been bred for decorative effect to the detriment of their opium content. I've grown many different types of P. soms over the years and I've found out that if the seeds come in a packet, they're generally shit. It wasn't until my dad gave me a bag of seeds from some he'd grown that I started getting results.

Heres a good study on the alkaloid content of different somniferum cultivars.

Jump to the table if you just want the basic stats. Its important to note that all the samples came from ornamental cultivars, albeit in Estonia. What I'm saying is that I've seen it vary hugely, as I'm sure you have, fubar. Be extra careful FC, an ounce of weak pods may not do much, but the same dose of potent ones could be lethal. Thats why I don't recommend people mess with pods, its a dangerous game and you never know if you'll win or lose until its happened.
I know it may seem hypocritical of me to advise this, but I don't intend for any of mine to end up in the tea pot.

Last edited: