• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

LDN for reducing opioid tolerance

So I was worried I was gaining too much tolerance bc I wasn't getting that intensely high of 20 mg doses. The pills are a popular Mexican brand and I wonder if Mexican manufacturing has different standards than American for pharmaceuticals and if they could be underdosed.

So I gave 10 mg, half of a 20, to my mom. My thoughts were if I give this to an opioid naive lightweight they should feel it pretty intensely. She said all her back pain isn't even gone and she feels sort of happy and spacy but she is not seeming like that different than normal or reporting intense euphoria. My thoughts are that what she is describing sounds like what an opioid naive person would experience with 5 mg not ten. So I am wondering if I got ripped off a bit and the pills are underdosed. That would be both good and bad news. Good in that my tolerance isn't totally fucked and bad in that I got sort of ripped off. Anyway ...

Well I could not tolerate. I just could not sleep at ALL. An odd but known side effect. It looks like the ONLY replacements in use are bup & juice. No more DF118s!

"too high a dose of LDN (I believe it was 1.5 mg) " wtf man, i got prescribed 50mg tablets which i havent used yet, but i guess im way way overboard with this. and after reading it interferes with dopamine production in some masochistic way to deter you from alcohol and opiates (my two addictions) im freaking out to ever even bother trying this shit!
man, hello no if this shit puts me into dopamine coma. i already have a genetical issue with producing less dopamine, this stuff might put me into suicide risk. i would probably donate that crap. damn, im lucky i had to read this before doing them and i was about to as im really really suffering with my addictions taking severe toll on my health. but rather be dead than being alive and suffering, right?

Trying memantine soon

what are you trying to use memantine for? i quit that shit FOR LIFE after i mixed it with suboxone. it caused me some of the biggest nightmares a human brain can handle. but to this day going back i assume its based on the fact i have been drinking alcohol all night until i sobered up and took them together. which both are known to severely alter and affect NMDA and glutamate.
GUYS, please never make the same mistake. this was HELL!

I have a connective tissue disorder! Ehlers-danios syndrome hypermobility type. I don’t have POTS but I do have orthostatic hypotension. I have UC as well so I can’t take nsaids which sucks. Don’t think I’d manage well getting prescribed ketamine! It was too amazing to me in the past recreationally! Lol I don’t abuse my opioids at all thankfully.
But yea, this is an interesting topic you brought up.
I have Ehler Danlos as well. Totally suxs

Well I could not tolerate. I just could not sleep at ALL. An odd but known side effect. It looks like the ONLY replacements in use are bup & juice. No more DF118s!

If you're talking about it as a full dose of naltrexone , not low dose naltrexone, so it's a totally different thing
"too high a dose of LDN (I believe it was 1.5 mg) " wtf man, i got prescribed 50mg tablets which i havent used yet, but i guess im way way overboard with this. and after reading it interferes with dopamine production in some masochistic way to deter you from alcohol and opiates (my two addictions) im freaking out to ever even bother trying this shit!
man, hello no if this shit puts me into dopamine coma. i already have a genetical issue with producing less dopamine, this stuff might put me into suicide risk. i would probably donate that crap. damn, im lucky i had to read this before doing them and i was about to as im really really suffering with my addictions taking severe toll on my health. but rather be dead than being alive and suffering, right?

Low dose naltrexone probably has very different effects, qualitatively. than full dose. Its whole different thing
what are you trying to use memantine for? i quit that shit FOR LIFE after i mixed it with suboxone. it caused me some of the biggest nightmares a human brain can handle. but to this day going back i assume its based on the fact i have been drinking alcohol all night until i sobered up and took them together. which both are known to severely alter and affect NMDA and glutamate.
Memantine is known to lower opioid tolerance and also to help with glutamate excitotoxicity due to traumatic brain injury which I have

Oh it causes some insomnia but no nightmares at all for me.. guess it's an individual side effect? :unsure:

ok so i still have those 50mg naltrexone pills how do i low dose them? if i cut em in half, i assume its 25mg in theory, but pharmaceuticals usually stock up the active chemical in the middle not at the ends so even cutting it in half im not sure im getting 25mg. what does one do with 50mg pills? if i cannot use them, whats the point of them going to waste eh

Last edited by a moderator:
ok so i still have those 50mg naltrexone pills how do i low dose them? if i cut em in half, i assume its 25mg in theory, but pharmaceuticals usually stock up the active chemical in the middle not at the ends so even cutting it in half im not sure im getting 25mg. what does one do with 50mg pills? does anyone want them? if i cannot use them, whats the point of them going to waste eh
Volumetric solutions? That would be easier than trying to cut into fifty pieces lol

It was getting blown up that had long-term effects.
What kind of long term effects that blew up? I know it's a D2 agonist and has the potential to cause or worsen PAWS, as well as insomnia (but that was mostly either with top much of it or when I had acute underlying mu withdrawal -> excess of NE). Besides these, it is along with DXM the only medicine which really helps me... But of course people are different and YMMV.

Let's see if I manage finding a decent doc to script me ULN. Pretty curious about.

So guys, Im still very curious about memantine and now i have some!! however, I dont have a pcp so im trying to be safe with new drugs. I have slightly high blood pressure. Ive heard hypertension is a side effect of memantine and can get really intense, however I have no idea if this is a common side effect or very rare, and how overblown it is? I may make a whole thread about this

@debored13 What is a PCP, guess you aren't referring to phencyclidine?

Hypertension shouldn't be a problem with memantine in the recommended dosages, as long as you don't have overly high pressure before and it's certainly more manageable than e.g. amphetamine. I was using over 100mg of memantine at some occasions, notice that while the recommended doses are benign and safe, when going much higher it becomes a full on dopaminergic that leads to compulsive re-dose and hypomania - still remarkably safe physically though (people without permatolerance to dissociatives might experience confusion at such levels, don't do it).

I really can't give any dosage recommendations besides that it has a very long half life of 70h+ and builds up in your system, so the initial doses might feel like nothing. You might experience initial mental fog from the alpha-7 nicotinic antagonism that will fade off with time and higher doses, maybe take 5mg first, wait for some hours and if you feel nothing bad, you could add 15 more mg and stick with 20mg for some days to see how you react.

It is a very under-estimated medicine if you ask me, can do very good for some things and individuals which are hard to treat with the other things available and it's much more safe than DXM which also tends to have a good profile as it's even prescribed for some rare diseases like pseudobulbar affect.

Good luck!

I can't really answer this but I guess adamantane has poor ability to penetrate the brain; all of the medicinal derivates have that nitrogen rest on it like amantadine, memantine, etc.. and when comparing amantadine and memantine, the former is a much weaker NMDA antagonist that will have more side effects and less specific activity. I remember one trip report of an "overdose" of amantadine around 2g I believe, that consisted of weird visuals and sounded more anticholinergic than anything else so I wouldn't spend much hope there ...

... but, as there appears to be next to no data about in-vivo use of adamantane, and maybe there's a reason for it to be sold, I am still interested in it. Wouldn't guinea pig it myself though unless more info.

Memantine is a weird one. Yeah, it takes almost every symptom of opioid withdrawal, you don't feel like shit, no depression, no loneliness, no anxiety, no sweats, no puking, but you're still withdrawing - for me, I feel how much energy my body needs to do all these changes, today I slept most of the day and felt heavy tiredness.. but compared to cold w/d it's really a walk in the park. Guess together with low-dose amphetamine and/or some lope it would catch all.
Also the potentiation is real shit. 10mg of morphine felt yesterday almost like 200mg before, not exactly, in that it's more clear but the strength is there...

Papers tell 10mg memantine is enough to do a some 5x potentiation of opioids or more but that is in opioid naive rats. Start slow, as said the potentiation is real and heavy - you won't die of it though, I guess it doesn't affect the respiratory depression as I did other, more potent dissociatives before while continuing on the same dose of morphine without physically ill effects. For w/d be prepared to require way more than 20mg. Even with 80mg I don't feel the slightest hint of dissociation now.
So do you feel like memantine reduces tolerance fairly quickly, like if I take it with my dose one day will it make the next dose hit a little harder?

I acquired some suboxone. Since it's way cheaper than oxy I figured why not. Anyway, wondering if it's TRUE it builds tolerance less than oxy and full agonist opioids in general. Ans that its safer respiratory depression wise.

I'm also going to try my memantine soon. I'm just still worried about inducing a hypertensive crisis but I finally have some bp meds

Morphine tolerance appears to be mostly(?)/completely(??) peripherally mediated, with peripherally selective NMDA antagonists able to block tolerance development. That's remarkable and given the age of the paper, once more weird that we don't see this used. Source
In your experience how much memantine for how many doses does it take to 100 percent reset tolerance

my calculation says that 1 mg bupe would equal about 20 mg oxy but probably with less euphoria but longer lasting. so to be cautious since im basically opioid naive and dose calculations can be wrong i took about .5 mg... hope that the bupe in these 8 mg films is distributed equally

buprenorphine should have less chance of respiratory depression relative to therapeutic effect and less chance of building tolerance quickly than other opioids, right?