• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Law Around importing/possesion of Dextromethorphan Hbr (New Zealand)

Hamster1221

Greenlighter
Title says it the most after searching around im finding it hard to find any answers on what the consequences or laws around The importing of Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide or the laws around getting caught with a bunch of it?

donno about NZ laws, but i'm prettttttttttty sure DXM is ok to import here in aus. (pretty sure)

If I'm wrong I'm sure Mr.Blondey will be on here whips out his modstick and slap me once or twice. ;D

^ User was perma-banned for this post.

Technically you aren't supposed to import here without a permit from the Dept. of Health, like any other therapeutic drugs or equipment, in reality nothing will probably come of it... in Australia.

I do know that under Australian law, a DXM product with more then 600mg of DXM contained therein is a S4 substance; so importing a gram of powder would be importing a prescription only drug. This is Australian law however, NZ may be different but I assume their scheduling of DXM is probably similar. I am also not too familiar with NZ Customs requirements, you may want to check out their website and do some reading on importing therapeutic substances.

perma-banned??????

harsh muchly :(((((((((((((((((((((.

but but but, if user was perma-banned, how am I able to make this reply?
huh??????

I WIN!

You're so knowledgeable.
I also think getting caught with DXM would be quite different to getting caught importing it in terms of legal consequences.

back to topic sorta,

To the OP:

Do you have a nasty dry caugh that you can't get rid of or sometor hing is that why you want to import grams and grams of DXM???

or are ya a fellow psychonaught and love ze Robotussin'in' aka tripping deep balls on DXM ? :D

^ OP, it might be easier to look into doing extractions on DXM containing cough syrups perhaps?

You're so knowledgeable.
I also think getting caught with DXM would be quite different to getting caught importing it in terms of legal consequences.

In both cases I'd probably be trying pretty quickly to get it tested to show what it is. I'd also be curious if it might give a false positive for PCP on those kind of field tests (not lab tests), as it triggers PCP on urine drug tests.

Fair guess he'd be turning it into round things.

Perma-ban doing kiwi's a big favour. +1 Blondey

Last edited:

Technically you aren't supposed to import here without a permit from the Dept. of Health, like any other therapeutic drugs or equipment, in reality nothing will probably come of it... in Australia.

I do know that under Australian law, a DXM product with more then 600mg of DXM contained therein is a S4 substance; so importing a gram of powder would be importing a prescription only drug. This is Australian law however, NZ may be different but I assume their scheduling of DXM is probably similar. I am also not too familiar with NZ Customs requirements, you may want to check out their website and do some reading on importing therapeutic substances.

Would that mean two shachets containing 500mg of DXM each is alright? I am pretty sure you could find a pharmacy that would sell more than one bottle of Robitussin DX (most pharmacy I have purchased it from it isn't even behind the counter) and technically if it is in two different packets then there would not be a single DXM product containing over 600mg. I suppose it would likely come down to discretion of customs officer and then a magistrate if it got that far, to me though it seems a bit bullshit that you can buy as much DXM OT as you want but if you got it pure thats somehow not allowed, it isn't like the cough syrup DXM comes in is much of a deterrant to its misuse...

^ Yeah the actual listing for DXM in S2 reads this:

DEXTROMETHORPHAN (excluding its stereoisomers) when supplied in a pack containing 600 mg
or less of dextromethorphan and with a recommended daily dose of 120 mg or less of
dextromethorphan.

And then it has an entry in S4 saying that every other DXM preparation is S4. Like you said it would most likely come down to the Customs officer, and like with anything else they pick up like that (a powder that may or may not be labeled), it's most likely that you will simply get a love letter requesting identification of the powder and the appropriate permits within 120 days or they will consider it abandoned and destroy it. Unless you were importing a large quantity then I doubt they will take any kind of real action, I don't want to say never though.

I have been looking for this information for SO long!
I think I just never actually got to googling it.

This is still an unknown subject surrounding New Zealand?
I know in australia is comes under the whole 600mg limit

i found out in New Zealand under our misuse of drugs act it states

Schedule 2
Class B controlled drugs

"Levomethorphan ((−)-3-methoxy-N-methylmorphinan) but not including dextromethorphan ((+)-3-methoxy-N-methylmorphinan) and dextrorphan ((+)-3-hydroxy-N-methylmorphinan)"
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1975/0116/latest/whole.html

the only other mention about dxm the govt has is with medsafe new zealand who only refer to the sale of dxm saying a product containing anymore than 600mg can only be sold at pharmacys anything under can be sold anywhere.

but this is refering to the sale side once its New Zealand not the importation
the customs nz website also does not contain any mention of dextromethorphan

Is it safe to assume there is no legal consiquence to the importation of any amount into New Zealand?

P.S to headdah, fellow psychonaught reporting in
i would like to say that beautiful cherry vanilla flavour of the old dry cough forte tastes good, but i cant lie like that especially when you want 1200mg and have to slam 2 bottles hahaha

Last edited:
If you can't find the information directly pertaining to DXM online you could always email customs under the guise of a 'medi-pop' company wanting to make cough lollipops and get all the info straight from them.

that beautiful cherry vanilla flavour

I hate whoever thought Cherry Vanilla was a good idea. Extractions are pretty easy though so I don't have to taste that evil again.

ive been thinking about the idea of emailing them ill just come up with some shitty med name i supose like you said

and extractions are to much hassle unless your doing like 5+ bottles, over here you have to go to a chemical store and get ammonia all while they get all your details and id you.

all the supermarkets and stores sell cloudy ammonia which is no good to use.

Ill pop an email off in the morning and post the results here when i get a reply