Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Last 'good' movie you watched that was horrible versus. Last 'sucky' movie = good.

Dark-Shadows-651x434.jpg

I didn't say it was my 'favorite'. Or, that I haven't seen his previous films.
Shit, I remember him from 21 Jump Street. the original. probably when your nuts hadn't dropped yet.
lol.

Just one I thought would be lame ...and was better than expected.
i.e. 'Good'. imo.
i.e. the point of this thread.

:)

Last edited:
Well when you say that you usually hate Johnny Depp movies 'out of principle', it implies that Dark Shadows is a rare exception...hence the 'favorite' part.

In the 200 or so feature films that I've watched in my time, Drive was probably the most surprising in terms of quality. I went into the movie (which I figured would just be another 4Fast3Furious feature starring a recently prolific A-list actor) with an internal smirk of condescension and emerged utterly shocked as to how wrong I was.

1- the dark knight rises (yes i rated it highly, and it has a lot of great stuff in it, but the total is far less than the sum of its parts. now it just angers and saddens me)
2- dredd 3d (wasn't even gonna see it, but it blew me the hell away).

In the 200 or so feature films that I've watched in my time, Drive was probably the most surprising in terms of quality. I went into the movie (which I figured would just be another 4Fast3Furious feature starring a recently prolific A-list actor) with an internal smirk of condescension and emerged utterly shocked as to how wrong I was.

That's because it was marketed in the dumbest way possible. A few people even filed suits for "false advertising" because they were expecting 5Fast6Furious 2 - obviously they lost, but it shows how confused most people were about the film. As a result, it didn't do as well as it should have.

Again, you misquote me. I said I 'usually' hate Johnny Depp movies, but, whatever...tired of arguing.Zzzzz......

2009_funny_people_wallpaper_003.jpg

Funny People...was much better than I thought it would be.
I usually don't like Adam Sandler movies, but...

Last edited:
Movie that was supposed to be good yet after watching sucked - 300

I wasn't quite sure why so many people I knew when that movie came out thought it was good. There were some 'epic' moments but it was over shadowed by everything else going on in the movie (the screen play, cinematography, historical inaccuracies, etc.) I waited till it's release on DVD before I watched it, and watched it alone to prevent any outside influence on my opinion of it during/after.

^ My excuse for liking that movie initially was that I was a Freshman in high school and managed to sneak into an R rated movie. I saw it again about 5 years later and couldn't believe that I was actually entertained by it at one point.

How did you sneak in? Was the old, 'someone hold the back door routine'?

you guys know it was based on a frank miller comic book, right?

I actually snuck into that movie multiple times (like I said, I was really into it) and did it a few different ways. One time we did the "hold the back door" thing, another time we bought tickets for a different movie and just went to 300 instead, and I think the third time my friends and I just ducked under the rope while the theater was busy.

As a middle class suburban kid, this was probably my first foray into illicit activities. I then graduated to shoplifting candy bars at gas stations and later smoking marijuana and doing ecstasy - yeah, I'm pretty hardcore.

you guys know it was based on a frank miller comic book, right?

Frank Miller is cool and all, but he has his weak moments. 300 is one of his weak moments (imo). Pair that with Zack Snyder's overindulgent stylization and you've got a recipe for a cheesy movie.

I always went to rated R movies when I was under 18. I think around when I was 15 I started to often not be question in many movies theaters about my age. Maybe it was because a few of the theaters I went to were surprisingly lax, one of them only for a few years before they really tightened it up.

Even before I was 15 I was sneaking into movies to see them for free using the back door method, as well as just movie hopping after the movies get out (soo easy to do if they don't check tickets at the individual screen entrances, either just walk straight to another movie through the crowd of people, or walk to the bathroom only to leave and walk into another movie). I'd often by tickets for other movies, knowing full well I wasn't going to see the movie on the ticket I bought if I didn't want to bother trying to see if they are checking IDs/will check mine. When one of the theaters put in machine ticket vendors, you didn't even have to worry about being 18 unless you clearly looked to young when the ticket ripper took your ticket, you'd just buy the ticket you wanted and walk in. Just as often I wouldn't be carded until I guess the movie theater that I mainly went to got more strict (right when I was 18), so I was usually able to buy the ticket I wanted.

I did realize it was based on the comic book, but still doesn't stop me from disliking the film.

Just watched Bubba Ho-Tep. Met my (low) expectations....
It was different than what I imagined (Army of Darkness 3) ...but still.
A yawn that lasted 2 hours, for me. It had it's moments, but damn, talk about a slow pace....

Suppose to be good, I thought was bad:
1. The Hidden Fortress. I usually LOVE Kurosawa so I guess I expected this one to live up to many of the others I've seen. Nope. Hated the overt annoying sexism, hated Toshiro Mifune's character, I didn't even care about the plot at all. Waste of an evening for me.
2. Heat. That movie is so boring and I felt like the actors never really found their characters.
3. Panic in Needle Park. Ugh. The only movie I enjoy that sort of talk-over casual but it's serious type of acting/dialogue is Woody Allen's work.

Suppose to be bad (or mediocre) and I thought was good:
1. The Others
2. What Lies Beneath. NO clue why.

Last edited:
I liked The Others. She's done some good work lately.
Never knew it to be considered a 'bad' movie. but...
What do I know?

Just watched Barbershop for the GD 10th time.
For some reason 'black' comedies always tickle my funny bone.
Death at a Funeral, for instance...I found quite amusing.
I dunno, maybe I was just drunk. on pills. lol.
Then again, it does have 7 stars on imdb.

Suppose to be good, I thought was bad:
1. The Hidden Fortress. I usually LOVE Kurosawa so I guess I expected this one to live up to many of the others I've seen. Nope. Hated the overt annoying sexism, hated Toshiro Mifune's character, I didn't even care about the plot at all. Waste of an evening for me.

you know this is what lucas was copying with the original star wars, right?

Just watched Barbershop 2....what a shit movie...yet somehow, it fit the mood.
Also, Jim Jarmusch, yes, I'll say it....loads of crap.

Night on Earth and that one where they escape prison.
Also, that weirdo documentary of them staying outdoors.
Other than that ....total crap.

'Escape from Alcatraz' was way more entertaining than I thought it would be....
Not even a big 'Eastwood' guy...at all.

Although I hear Gran Torino was pretty good.