• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Large stools

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
I have been constipated on opiates for years and as a result my colon has enlarged, making my shit large and bulky. As a result the turds won't flush down any toilet and I have to shit in garbage bags. I've been throwing them in the same garbage can as it's the only one in my area and because of the smell I am worried about getting into trouble.

Does anyone have any serious suggestions to help? The laxatives I take just do not help (if I didn't take them God knows how big my shits would be!). Can you get special toilets that can cope? Any other advice?

if you have some spare cash you could invest in an industrial strength or commercial toilet. i took a look at a website (americanstandard) and most are in the 500-1k range. i am not speaking from personal experience on this matter; after a quick google search i found r/shittingadvice and the poopreport.

Last edited:
i can vouch for american standard being top notch. used in many restaurants and industrial settings.

:\ AE...My sincerest sympathy for your poor butthole! How have you averted hemorrhoids?

My GI/Disease/CP issues result in CONSTIPATION, with or without use of pain meds. The opiates put me in the hospital for partial obstructions.

My problem is not the size of the stool, but the inability to move waste through my damaged GI tract.

I often feel as though I've passed a bowling ball wrapped in barbed wire. Inspection reveals tiny, miniscule...more the size of a "Craisin"!

Tell that to my poor butt hole! TMI, but I've endured 2 hemorrhoid surgeries already.

PLEASE TRY softeners daily, if you've not already. Drink MUCH water throughout the day. HYDRATION is key. Fiber is not always your friend!?!

Oh, and for toilets...No matter how powerful the toilet, if your plumbing/water pressure can't handle the load. Check that situation (waste pipes & water supply) before you purchase. I agree with above suggestions for industrial grade toilet for home use.

I remember (back in the day) we joked that our toilets' flush at Ole Miss were so powerful, it could remove your tampon! Nowadays, with environmental issues/water preservation, many toilets need multiple flushing for just pee and paper.

Good luck, though.

Last edited:
I remember (back in the day) we joked that our toilets' flush at Ole Miss were so powerful, it could remove your tampon!
Ha, never heard that before but i know what you mean. the flush of some toilets can be a shock to the system, as if a train had just passed a little too close.

i was thinking the OP could request a custom toilet to be made for him. if you're having trouble with a name for it id recommend "The Black Hole"

Have you tried figs, prunes?

What about a generous dose of magnesium supplement? Maybe a few tablespoons of some coconut oil, chia or flax seeds?

And plenty, I mean lots and lots of water.

Sorry to hear you are suffering so much man. Maybe some medical help is needed <3

I was thinking of trying one of those composting toilets because there's just a hole that allows the shit to collect at the bottom rather than a u-bend like in regular toilets. Other than that I'll look into industrial toilets but I won't be able to afford one for some time! I like the idea of a custom toilet but that sounds expensive.

I have to be honest, I probably could drink more water so thanks, I'll definitely try drinking more.

Fibre is definitely not my friend, I found that out years ago after getting prescribed those sachets from my doctor for my opioid-induced constipation. I take lactulose, lubiprostone and I take senokot each evening although I worry about the long term use of this. I know the lactulose is an osmotic so perhaps with the amount I take (15ml three times a day), more water might help.

I have tried figs but it's an anatomical issue rather than a problem of diet so these things only work up to a point. I might try figs or syrup of figs anyway as well as the extra water though to see if it helps.

And yes, I do get internal and external hemorrhoids and when I shit, it is incredibly painful! Sometimes it feels as if my asshole might split open it's so bad. My doctor doesn't seem to think it's a problem because I shit daily but it's definitely a big problem for me. It's really awkward when I stay over at peoples' houses because explaining why I carry bags of shit outside after going to the bathroom is difficult!

Last edited:
Sometimes when I'm in mild withdrawal or sick and I can't face the long walk to the public garbage can I have to leave several bags of shit laying on my bathroom floor. Because of the piss, sometimes even when quadruple bagged they still leak shitty piss through onto the bathroom floor. It's disgusting!

Get the kind of toilet that you would have in a boat they are fairly cheap maybe a couple hundred bucks they have what basically amounts to a blender in the bottom mascerstor is what it's called tho my spelling is wrong. We use them at my work I've had opiate shits that were a foot long and once I get it started grinding and the work is done for u.

Theres medication souly for the constipation connected to opiates. I see it in tv all the time, I forget what its called but I vividly remember images from it and hearing "opioid induced constipation". Ask your docter about a prescription

FWIW, the new OIC med is called Movantik. I'm told it can interfere with opiates. I know for a fact that it's EXTREMELY expensive per month.

My constipation is not opiate induced. Thankfully, I pass "pellets" not pontoons!

My insides are riddled with disease and surgical trauma. After hospitalization last October for partial bowel obstruction, I was prescribed Linzess 290. It's expensive, too, but my options are limited.

I asked the doctor about that drug and it's so expensive it's not an option except for emergencies in a hospital setting from what the GP said.

Lubiprostone is licensed to treat opioid induced constipation except they haven't studied it for methadone so they can't recommend it for use with this drug. I take this and it does make a difference, plus it's not massively expensive like the other drug.

water intake? do you get enough fibre? are there foods your eating that are blocking you up?

enema.

Why not to take naloxone orally? Atleast here you can get naloxone tablets for constipation if you need opioids daily and they cost ~6 euros per month.

Sometimes when I'm in mild withdrawal or sick and I can't face the long walk to the public garbage can I have to leave several bags of shit laying on my bathroom floor. Because of the piss, sometimes even when quadruple bagged they still leak shitty piss through onto the bathroom floor. It's disgusting!

Is the toilet completely nonfunctioning? Can you urinate in sink or shower? What you describe sounds horribly unsanitary and it seems like there may be better alternatives than urinating in a bag, that way you are not having to deal with leakage from the bag.

Regarding your constipation - I'm not certain Linzess would be a huge help to you, I don't think you're missing out. I have a prescription for it and it seems very hit or miss, more often than not its a miss. What has helped my situation is to put reminders in my phone to drink water. I also make certain I have a little bit of Miralax every time I eat. I take 600mg of magnesium in the morning and also at night. I also drink a few shots of olive oil throughout the day to make sure everything stays lubricated. If I forget to do something or get lazy and fail to do it I usually have to drink a liquid magnesium citrate container and have a few cups of senna tea to get everything up and running again. I also try to keep my fiber around 15 - 20 g a day so there's not as much bulk, which is tough as I'm a vegetarian. Don't know if any of that is useful to you. The only other thing I can think to recommend specifically for your situation is maybe trying warm olive oil enemas before you actually go to reduce friction.

I am so sorry you go through that, it sounds miserable.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but long term use of laxatives will actually make things worse. Try stool softener instead.