• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kratom for maintenance?

bluemonkey

Bluelighter
So, I am not here to argue about whether this is a good idea etc. I’ve decided I am going this direction and I’m looking for accountability and tips from anyone who has done it. Anyone using kratom as maintenance of a different med or DOC? I am doing this from Percocet. Other options are just not doable for me right now ( other more official maintenance options) trying to find a counselor but so far the kratom freaks them out

I have used kratom off and on for 7 years. I had a 2 year period there where I took heroin, but not kratom. I'm just now getting off of suboxone, which I've been on for half a year, and switching back to kratom.

Why does kratom freak you out?

I have used kratom off and on for 7 years. I had a 2 year period there where I took heroin, but not kratom. I'm just now getting off of suboxone, which I've been on for half a year, and switching back to kratom.

Why does kratom freak you out?
Doesn’t freak me out seems to freak counselors out. They all either say I should switch to subs or just CT kick. One even tried telling me that methadone would be safer... wonder if the bridge he is selling comes with billy goats...

Doesn’t freak me out seems to freak counselors out. They all either say I should switch to subs or just CT kick. One even tried telling me that methadone would be safer... wonder if the bridge he is selling comes with billy goats...

Kratom is very safe. Safer than buprenorphine and methadone. And less addictive. If it works for you kratom is pretty harmless. It can become a pain due to all the powder involved and its short acting nature but if someone was able to maintain on kratom over buprenorphine or methadone then they should stick with it. It is many times easier to quit kratom than methadone or buprenorphine. I know this from intimate first hand experience.

Your drug counselor just doesn't know any better, no fault on them. Kratom is cheap, safe and pretty effective. It is not as effective as buprenorphine, and certainly nowhere near as powerful as methadone, but if you don't need such powerful opioids then you should avoid them. I was on methadone years ago and have good things to say about it generally (despite all the negative press) but if kratom works for you then avoid methadone like the plague.

Thanks, the first day with the last therapist I tried she started talking about getting off kratom.

I said no I need to stay on it. Rebuild my life, reconnect with my sense of purpose first and then maybe think about tapering off.

She might as well have been trying to tell a preschooler that they will write research papers and trying to plan that. So yeah I think I understand how maintenance usually works. I found a habit tracker “ game” called SuperBetter. And it has functionality for allies ( accountability partners) built into it Just wish I could find a therapist who isn’t as clueless about this stuff.
In other news I have an interview to lead a Bible study group on zoom for now in light of the lockdown. It’s volunteer but it would be the first ministry i have done in years. I am in Bible college independent study which reminds me I should probably do some of my school stuff it’s just so boring because it’s way below the hardest academic level I have experience with...but yeah trying to rebuild.
If anyone else is doing maintenance solo I highly recommend 16 personalities (https://www.16personalities.com/)

It’s a free very accurate personality test.
Reading the results reminded me that for me I usually find purpose in volunteering and ministry. Lol so weird that I had to read it to remember.

Can anyone tell me how kratom works as pain relief? I have spine damage in 2 places,2 different incidents years apart. Doc tells me I'm developing arthritis quite nicely and I recently tore a rotator cup. Opiates are not an option, 2 doctors last week insist on 6 weeks of physical therapy then maybe an MRI and 1 of them said we 'may discuss pain management then' ?!?!???? Little story about that route: I fractured my T12 vertebrae and was told to do 6 weeks therapy, I did, then got an MRI and was told " Oh you fractured your vertebrae and it has healed badly,you should have been immobilized" and treated me like I had a knife every time I mentioned pain killers.
I'm no stranger to opiates,went from roxy 5s to Baltimore scramble about 5 years ago. Got clean on my own. I'm now 30 miles from the Mexican border and not even interested in the street games anymore. Or fent. Can't keep taking 5000 mg of ibuprofen a day either.

Can anyone tell me how kratom works as pain relief? I have spine damage in 2 places,2 different incidents years apart. Doc tells me I'm developing arthritis quite nicely and I recently tore a rotator cup. Opiates are not an option, 2 doctors last week insist on 6 weeks of physical therapy then maybe an MRI and 1 of them said we 'may discuss pain management then' ?!?!???? Little story about that route: I fractured my T12 vertebrae and was told to do 6 weeks therapy, I did, then got an MRI and was told " Oh you fractured your vertebrae and it has healed badly,you should have been immobilized" and treated me like I had a knife every time I mentioned pain killers.
I'm no stranger to opiates,went from roxy 5s to Baltimore scramble about 5 years ago. Got clean on my own. I'm now 30 miles from the Mexican border and not even interested in the street games anymore. Or fent. Can't keep taking 5000 mg of ibuprofen a day either.
Kratom certainly produces analgesia, however not as well as true opioids. I'd say it's somewhere in between aspirin and codeine in strength. Also it only lasts about 2-4 hours. Higher doses produces more analgesia but tolerance develops rather quickly. Its a "less is more" type of drug.

But it certainly does help pain. I am not in chronic pain but I would imagine kratom would work best in conjunction with other non opioid pain killers.

Kratom certainly produces analgesia, however not as well as true opioids. I'd say it's somewhere in between aspirin and codeine in strength. Also it only lasts about 2-4 hours. Higher doses produces more analgesia but tolerance develops rather quickly. Its a "less is more" type of drug.

But it certainly does help pain. I am not in chronic pain but I would imagine kratom would work best in conjunction with other non opioid pain killers.
Thanks. I would be doing this short term. Need to survive my shoulder healing. My back I'll have to live with apparently. Funny....docs don't have shit to say about blood pressure meds,blood thinners etc, or their side effects, which they openly acknowledge I'll be on the rest of my life.

Thanks. I would be doing this short term. Need to survive my shoulder healing. My back I'll have to live with apparently. Funny....docs don't have shit to say about blood pressure meds,blood thinners etc, or their side effects, which they openly acknowledge I'll be on the rest of my life.
If you are not currently taking any opioids and have no tolerance kratom could provide some very strong pain relief, at least several days before you build up tolerance. Might be a great option for you.

Let me know if you need strain or dosing advice

If you are not currently taking any opioids and have no tolerance kratom could provide some very strong pain relief, at least several days before you build up tolerance. Might be a great option for you.

Let me know if you need strain or dosing advice
Thank you. There are dispensaries here that carry it. I have no clue about strains or strengths. It usually takes me 800mg ibuprofen and a 300 mg gabapentin if I have it to almost stop the back pain. Those barely dim the shoulder right now
If I had the choice I'd say I'd be doing oxy 15s to manage and keep my tolerance down

Thank you. There are dispensaries here that carry it. I have no clue about strains or strengths

All of the strains are all roughly the same pain relief and strength (there are minor differences) but the main difference is how stimulating they are, but even then the difference is small.

Bali is the most relaxing and the closest to an opioid buzz. Maeng Da is the most stimulating and probably the strongest strain.

I would suggest buying pills for now. There are many ways to take it but the taste is not that pleasant. Or make tea.

I would start with about 5-6g and go from there. I personally take about 14g per day but have very high tolerance. I wouldn't go above that, you'll probably get sick. Remember "less is more" with kratom, it's counterintuitive but true.

All of the strains are all roughly the same pain relief and strength (there are minor differences) but the main difference is how stimulating they are, but even then the difference is small.

Bali is the most relaxing and the closest to an opioid buzz. Maeng Da is the most stimulating and probably the strongest strain.

I would suggest buying pills for now. There are many ways to take it but the taste is not that pleasant. Or make tea.

I would start with about 5-6g and go from there. I personally take about 14g per day but have very high tolerance. I wouldn't go above that, you'll probably get sick. Remember "less is more" with kratom, it's counterintuitive but true.
Stimulating....as in energy? I'll be taking it to work without bosses making an issue of my injury ( off the job but still...)
I get the less is more very well, I tried the "maybe a little more" nonsense with gelcaps in Baltimore and ruined my workday
So 5-6g per day then?

So 5-6g per day then?
Just a starting point, go from there. Its safe to experiment with. If you take too much you'll feel nauseated for an hour or two.

It will certainly wake you up in the morning and prevent sleep for a few hours after taking if you have no tolerance.

Its a unique stimulation. Its not like caffeine or amphetamines at all.

Its amazing for work! And you won't act high or anything it's not like that

It can definitely help alleviate some of your pain. Maybe not as effectively as other opioids as its only a partial agonist. It can definitely work to lessen your pill intake a bit. Just get some quality kratom and give it a shot. You can either make some capsules, toss and wash, or mix it with juice. After doing it for years I've come to the conclusion that mixing it with oj is best.

Last edited:
If you have any concerns about your liver just get those numbers checked regularly. Anecdotally ive seen my ex mother in law a get rid of kidney disease by stopping tylenol and taking kratom instead.

Last edited:
Any serious liver damage from kratom is very rare but does happen and is also strongly associated with concurrent alcohol use.

I appreciate all the input,sincerely. I rarely drink, avoid tylenol all my life just kidney concerns from all the NSAIDS. I'm going to be having tests done for heart concerns anyway so I'll keep an eye on the liver. Unique stim huh? Cool, when I did opiates it didn't hit me like it did everyone else, I did low doses and it gave me mad energy and I worked like a madman. I'll probably take the pills.

Cool, when I did opiates it didn't hit me like it did everyone else, I did low doses and it gave me mad energy and I worked like a madman.
Yeah that's fairly common, opioid energy. Some are more stimulating than others.

I'd say kratom is on par, stimulation wise.