• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Diet Kombucha brewer's over here?

D
Looks normal to me, but I'm no expert...I just drink the stuff.

@tired of crap ?
Did the last time, and washed the brown substance of.

It behaves Yeast like. But could also be something totally different.

My last Kombucha was introduced slowly to those 'healthier' sugars. This one went head first, and was used to crystal Cane. May have shook up the balance. Now with the lower sugar at start, is another possibility but is was there before so?

In 20 day I ll taste. Just don't drink when its molded, smells not right of if you own Anthrax that got into the mixture. Its alive or its worthless someone wrote me once. No such thing as a half working one I made of that.

Last edited:
The added second dose of sugar changed how the look the dark brown so called death tissue. It regained color an moved on up.

The sugar has allready been partly de-colorized in the brew. So its going good I guess. Lets wait for the taste as final verdict.

And no I am not eating the pancake. Though they are trying to make clothing from it. So there is probably some use for it.
I don't think my old man ever brews for more than a week before bottling. He's had other ferments going for up to a couple months....don't think they were kombucha though. It's hard to tell with the guy. He's like some wizard with all the rando stuff he's always cooking up, brewing, baking, etc.

I have to ask, because if it is a week or so only then I can't say his concoctions are a miss. They've got plenty of the good stuff.
In a week, with Kombucha there is hardly any Glucuronic acid and all the other good substance's that are a result of the symbiotic fermentation.

Isn't rebottling to premature? Shouldn't you give the Yeast the time to produce the things the Bacteria need.

What happens if you bypass the Yeast by adding Ethanol to feed the Bacteria.

Besides the cost's. Would it work?

If the concentration is right (read wrong) it’ll just kill the bacteria lol... iirc ~70% alcohol is best for sanitizing (which I’ll assume is gonna be way higher than what you’re proposing ... but still).

Would alcohol even feed the bacteria though

If the concentration is right (read wrong) it’ll just kill the bacteria lol... iirc ~70% alcohol is best for sanitizing (which I’ll assume is gonna be way higher than what you’re proposing ... but still).

Would alcohol even feed the bacteria though
The alcohol produced by the yeast is their food, among others .

They will tolerate a low percentage 4% max I guess.

GingerBeerPlant, also a symbiotic of yeast and bacteria can tolerate a lot higher Ethanol content btw, 15/ 17 % if I am correct. The Bacteria will not die from it.

Last edited:
A new discovery -o- mine Rice Syrup (taken from Thylbert a Belgium commercial Kombucha brewer). Is supposed to produce an even better, sugar/ vinegar/ alcohol free Kombucha.

So that is an experiment I will conduct in the future.