• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives [Ketamine Subthread] Long Term Side-effects

k-cramps are definately the WORST pain i have ever been in. I wouldnt wish that on anyone!

I did find a way around k-cramps. I reached a point where i was doing upwards of 1g a day ( 3-4 hits ) , and the k-cramps were really bad.

Aloe vera juice helps. Try not to go for the aloe vera drinks which are basically diluted versions, but instead go for the concentrated ones and drink straight from the bottle . And water, drink lots of water.

All replies in the thread seem to be focused on the physical ailments due to excissive ketamine abuse, but I had a markedly different experience.

I would binge for a week at a time, using about a gram a day, IM. Now let me be clear, I have had my fair share of ketamine freak out, bad trip, existential crisis type events fro K, but ntohing I wasnt able to control. This was noticebly different. At first, I thought I was having a stroke, my entire body felt like it was pulsing with energy, buzzing is the best word to describe. I could immediately distinguish this feeling from the feeling of the drug. The first time this happened, the effects lasted LONG after the ketamine was out of my system. It didnt fully subside until 3 days later.

Well, I didnt heed the obvious warning to stay away, Indulged in ketamine again, and had a similar experience. As I type this, I feel different. All my mental faculties are working as they were before, but theres this....damper on my mind. Its as if an opaque curtain was placed over my mind. It is gradually subsiding but it has completely taken me by surprise, as I never had a reaction like this to any substance, nor heard of anyone else having one.

TLDR : My brain seems to incurr ketamine hangovers that last a week at least.

I'm curious about this as well. It always takes me quite a white (at least 36 hours) for the effects of ketamine to fully wear off. I binged on ketamine Monday night and I was still feeling some after effects on my mind yesterday and there was static in my vision. I think it's mostly gone now but it makes me wonder about those people who go throughs grams daily. I'm surprised there aren't more reports of negative mental effects in this thread. How long does it take to feel normal after using vast amounts of ketamine daily?

I went through about 30-odd grams of ketamine in less than a month, and toward the end the bladder pains just got to be too much. Hot baths are amazing, heating pads are a godsend, but the ONLY WAY TO STOP K-CRAMPS is to STOP DOING K. Take a break. I haven't had any in about a month, and hopefully next time I get a copious amount I'll figure out a way to keep myself under a gram a day...

I had what I expect is abdominal pain (mid-high in the centre and to the right side of my torso) due to ketamine this week (can't think of any other reasons); pain started on saturday after a four day ketamine binge in which I used much higher daily doses then I ever did before, it was also the first time this ever happened. The weird thing is that just before that I did take a two week break from it twice, which is more then I did all summer, so I was actually cutting down quite a bit, to a usage pattern I am much happier with the month before this happened. I binged for just four days on two grams a day (until then the most I had done in a day was 1 gram, although I had used for more days in a row, for example 7-12 days of using 0.5 grams a day). Until saturday I never had ANY discomfort after ketamine, not physically, not mentally, NOTHING at all. I was going to take another one or two week break starting that saturday and just when I started the break the pain started. Hurt more then pretty much anything ever before did (although the pain was the only symptom, I did not feel nauseous and had no issues with my stomach like some people here mentioned), enough to go to a doctor though because I wasn't sure if it was from the ketamine since I was actually cutting down already and it was just a 4 day binge, I had done longer ones before and I have no bladder issues. No high frequency of urination, no pain, no pressure, no discomfort, everything concerning my bladder is completely normal and as it should be and isn't any different then it was pre-ketamine three years ago (although I've kept use to at max a gram a month for 2.5 years, only since may amounts went up both in days a month and in amounts a day).

That for me kind of prooves that k-pains and bladder issues are NOT neccisairily related; and that the only reason people often get both is that you can get both from overdoing ketamine. Only the pains can happen from doing too much for a short period of time and seem to be related to the actual amounts done and can, if these were k-pains, which I do think actually, easily happen after just 4 days of binging even if you just took a nearly a month break (with a few days of doing a small amount a day in the middle of that month). I háve used ketamine since I got the pain, but no more then +-0.3 grams a day and not every day either, and the pain did NOT come back from that. It was bad for 2-3 days, then almost gone for another day and then completely gone after that.

Either way, I got pretty paranoid that something was terribly wrong with my organs so I had an ultrasound scan done of all my organs, both upper and lower body. The good news is that they found nothing wrong. Áll my organs were fine, liver, pancreas, gallbladder, gallducts, kidneys, bladder, uterus; everything was completely fine and they didn't see anything wrong anywhere. I'm especially happy that my bladder, kidneys and gallbladder and ducts appeared to be 100% fine. That is quite a relief. Weird too though, because that pain was very real but appearantly my organs are fine nonetheless. Either way, I'm still happy that my insides aren't damaged and that the pain is gone again now.

I'll be a lot more careful with ketamine from now on; I really did not expect it, especially since I was taking much longer and more frequent breaks recently, it was just those 4 days I messed up a bit (and there were some reasons too, although had I known I'd get this pain I would've payed more attention to how much I was actually using in a day but it was a stressful week and I was using it out of escapism too) and I was just about to take another break. Well, I decided for myself I'm going to try my absolute best to use it only two weekend-days in a month, and never more then 0.5 grams in a day and I'm going to take a full month break this autumn to give my body some rest from this summer, after that it might be easier too to keep it to +-2 times a month instead of what I had been doing this summer.

******Just a little update since it's been exactely a month since I posted the last thing (it's 28-11 now, was 28-10 when I wrote this, nice timing for an update I guess). The pain I wrote about in the original post has nót happened since then and I feel physically fine. Haven't cut down nearly as much as I planned to though and I haven't taken the one month break yet either. I'm still planning to do so, and after the one month break make sure I use just twice a month. I was able to do so for well over two years and I knów I can go back to that. My usage pattern this last month has been using ketamine for three or four days in a row then taking a five to ten day break and repeating that cycle all month really. Just mentioning the how-often because the pain hasn't returned and I've been fine physically. I'm not 100% sure what made the pain happen that one time, but I'm glad it stayed away. Other then a slightly damaged nose I have no other (long or short term) side effects at all. Glad about that.

Last edited:
ketamine and bladder damage

I'm just curious. roughly how much k and how often does bladder damage start to occur?

would doing like 1g of k over a weekend a few times a year cause any damage?

Anyone with protate problems or Prostatitis might want tread very lightly with ket. . . .

Prolonged and heavy Ketamine use and side-effects

I am only choosing to speak of only two side-effects that I experienced at a high degree of severity, though many more symptoms, rare and common exist.

About two years ago I began to use Ketamine heavily and daily (averaging at about a half ounce a week or 2-4g a day, beggining with intranasal ROA and progressing to multiple daily injections via IV ROA), three months in I began to experience sudden and frequent bouts of severe abdominal pain (identified as K cramps) that seemed to originate in the centre of my torso, directly above the diaphragm and could best be described as a violent twisting and tightening of my innards that was so concentrated that I would only be able to fall to my knees and roll into fetal position, unable to remain standing, let alone straighten my back. These attacks would subside with time (1.5 to 3 h) on their own but, would render me helpless whilst caught in the middle. I found taking large amounts of opiates and sleeping pills as the only remedy. Having cut-back on my use these attacks became less and less frequent and I found I was again able to return to daily life. The second side-effect characterised as severe was the complications that arose in regard to bladder retention and passing urine. Also, a month following the resumption of my Ketamine use I developed what my doctor thought to be UTI (Urinary tract infection), although no bacterial cause was found. Within a week of developing these symptoms I developed a stoop and became unable to stray farther than a few steps from a bathroom and was averaging at breaking for the restroom every ten to fifteen minutes. I soon put two-and-two together and realised the pervasive urinary urgency, excruciating pain and burning sensation when passing and my inability to retain more than a few drops of urine, despite having been drinking upwards of 5L a day was a direct result of the increase in acidity of my urine brought about by K drips. Once again, reducing the amount and spacing out the days I used Ketamine and drinking large amounts of water caused symptoms to subside. Today I seemed to have bypassed any urological troubles after switching to solely IV ROA, although my use whilst still heavy and prolonged alternates with brief periods of sobriety (moderate to heavy use of drugs other than Ketamine).

Has anyone else experienced similar or other troubles as a direct result of Ketamine use?

There's a topic about long term health issues and side effects in which both ones you mention are being mentioned by other people. Both are identified problems of which the cause is known; the "K-cramps" are dilation of the bilary tree; so it has to do with your gall bladder. Not sure how that can hurt thát much, but after one stops doing ketamine it does go back to normal suggesting it's not actual damage. There's a paper from hong kong in which they found this out, if you're interested I can look it up and link it for you. The bladder thing is due to the metabolite nor-ketamine scratching the bladder causing scarring and eventually worse problems. It can become so worse one needs bladder reconstructive surgery. Not doing ketamine is the only thing that helps other then bladder reconstructive surgery; ofcourse this new bladder is just as sensitive to the nor-ketamine. Other then not doing ketamine I can only think of drinking plenty of liquid to help with or prevent this; the more you drink with it the less long the nor-ketamine stays in the bladder I guess.

Either way moving on from what it technically is to personal experience:

I've had "K-cramps" once right after an insane binge on S-ketamine somewhere in october; I had been doing between 2 and 4 grams a day for about four days and was just about to take a break again when that evening I got the worst pain ever, in the mid high torso, around the place you destribe although a bit more to the right then to the left. I couldn't stand up straight either, nor move very well or walk more then 5 meters. It was pretty much the most painful thing ever. I did a rather stupid thing at first; I tried taking more ketamine to get rid of the pain. Doing that made it last 2-3 days; I visited my doctor and got an ultrasound scan made on the second day; they found nothing and they also confirmed all my organs (including my liver and bladder :) ) looked completely healthy and normal. I was quite relieved, got a heavy non-opiate painkiller to pass the time and at some point it just went away again. It never returned but I never did a binge like thát again. I have done such amounts in a day (2-3 grams or so) and also serveral days in a row but either small amounts for serveral days or just one or two days of binging and then a break. Doing that I did not get such pain ever again. Glad about that, I'd hate for that to happen agan it was the most painful thing I ever experienced. What was worse for me is that I was on my period (I'm female) at the exact same time and I wasn't sure wether I was on my period or pissing blood; I was completely paranoid I had ruined my body and o nly somewhere by the end of the days of horrible pain did I find out what exactely was causing it so on the first and second day I was incredibly paranoid that I had broken my liver or something like that or that I'd die. Another nasty detail is that I could not stop doing ketamine; although I was maybe only doing 300 mg a day I kept doing it.. I'm not proud of that week at all. Having thought I was going to die had me depressed for another few weeks although that cleared up.

I'm on a better ketamine rythm now; I keep usage mostly to the weekends now, usually on either friday or saturday and then none on the week days although occasionally I use a few days in a row but usually when I do that I take a longer break too, often taking five to ten day breaks in between usage. I try to keep tolerance acceptable this way and also avoid things like k-cramps from happening again. So far it's going well, I have no pain anywhere, I feel healthy and tolerance isn't rising. I'm glad I never had the bladder issues. I drink a lot of fluids, mostly water and tea and I still have normal bladder capacity. The only bladder related thing I never noticed likely due to ketamine is when I do a lót over one night or day and then forget to drink or neglect fluid intake. If I do that when I do pee for the first time after that binge it hurts a bit, if I drink a few glasses of water or something like that it goes back to normal and if I drink enough in a binge it doesn't happen and everything stays fine. Either way for myself since I cut down to this usage pattern I'm ok with it myself; maybe I'll take a few week or month break at some point to see if I can get tolerance down a bit further since that would be cheaper but other then that I'm ok with it myself; I don't get pains, I feel healthy, my bladder is in a decent shape and I got back to sort-of-weekend-use, which hopefully I can last a life time since I love the dissociative feeling, the static, the floating, the k-hole, the creativity, the dissociated way of thinking, the sense of freedom, the void in which everything is possible and where black and white exist at the same time.. hmmm...

We already have a thread for discussing dangers, risks, and side-effects of Ketamine use. This'll be merged with that thread, but you have a chance to reply first before me or another mod does that :)

Just letting you know. ;)

eurghhhh! My kidneys/bladder have been hurting for days...nothing as excruciating as what some people have previously described, it's a rather uncomfortable ache.

Should I go to the doctor? I really don't want to, but I have no idea when this pain will subside. It's been 9 days. :X

Feel like such a fool, knew that it was detrimental to one's health, but continued to use thinking that I'd be immune to these potential problems. My favourite drug has turned into a fucking beast from hell, that's resided in my bladder. I dread to think how much damage has been caused. I bet my bladder is covered in scar tissue and half the size it was two years ago.

Ket is an evil bastard. And that's coming from someone who used to worship it like a deity. I warn those who are new to it or are considering trying it out, to stay well away. It's simply not worth it.

kidney pains after taking k

I used to take K quite often (once a week to twice a week) about a year back and had no pain. but took some last week about a 1/4 gram and had a sort of dull ache with occasional mild stabbing pains (like being stabbed with a drawing pin or something) the stabbing pains went after about a day but the dull ache is still there anyone have any ideas as to what it may be? I've kept well hydrated and took some b vitamins but no luck

I think norketamine (a metabolite of k) builds up in the kidneys & causes damage. Time for some cranberry juice & kidney beans mate!

I've heard that to but thought it was mainly with regular usage, this was my first time in year.

maybe the best thing to do would be to check a doctor.... you might have a small stone there giving you trouble, that might have not been caused by k at all, and its all a coincidence. its best to stay on the safe side with organ damage, no?

I've felt such sorts of pains after K use but it's quite possible they have something to do with the way you position your body if you don't sense it properly. I've went through my back carrying too heavy garbage bags because I was on K and I couldn't feel it. I felt it afterwards though. If you lie down a lot on K and don't watch yourself (which can be quite impossible while K'ed out) it can cause a lot of issues.
On the other hand, on drugs that are known to be hard on the body I can feel a harsh load exactly in the kidney regions but not only with ketamine.