• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Keppra (Levitiracetam) For Tramadol Seizures

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I take up to 1100mg of Tramadol a day.
I'm prescribed Levitiracetam due to severe seizures in the past (all of them due to either alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal). I have not had a drink or taken a benzo for three years.

My question is: would Levitiracetam (say 1000mg) keep me from having tramadol seizures, or at least decrease the changes of having one?
[I have never had a Tramadol seizure/ I DO feel off and like I'm going to seizure after taking 1100mg of Tramadol in 10 hours)

I don't think it's possible or responsible to postulate whether or not Keppra will prevent or reduce the likelihood of seizures from Supra-therapeutic doses of Tramadol, as there's a whole host of factors that would need to be determined to even remotely decipher the risk factor. I do think it's safe to say that you are probably at a higher risk since you've suffered severe seizures in the past and the possible kindling effect that can produce.

Aside from seizures though, the risk of maladies such as Serotonin Syndrome are also greatly increased and influenced from other meds such as antidepressants, antipsychotics or anything that might alter CYP 450 enzymes and therefore the metabolism of Tramadol into it's more active metabolites. I would reassess the need for such high doses of Tramadol vs replacement with a more suitable medication.