• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Kalynda Davis' friends shocked at ice arrest in China

They will also bend the back a pretty rich white girl if they get a chance.

Glad she escaped. Its sad, but I can guess the last thing that will go through her "boyfriend's" mind.

NSFW:
a chinese bullet

But again so much respect for the Chinese government for this descion. This level of integrity and judgement would never have been found almost anywhere else, especially the US. Respect.

An even greater level of respect would be achieved if both the Chinnese and American government would abandon the pointless archaic death penalty.

Kalynda Davis' exit from China shrouded in mystery

Australian officials did not negotiate with their Chinese counterparts and had nothing to do with the release of Penrith woman Kalynda Davis, the New Zealand government has claimed.

Ms Davis made a surprise return home on Tuesday after being detained in China for nearly a month, initially accused of smuggling up to 75 kilograms of ice out of the country.

Friends celebrated her return with tears and hugs on Wednesday, bringing gifts to the family's Glenmore Park home and posting happy snaps of the former private school girl.

"The last month has been a daily struggle but today i sit here with tears of happiness I can't even concentrate, drivin off the road and shit haha. so happy!," a close friend, Dan Stella, posted online.

However, the mystery surrounding her sudden and secretive release from China grew on Wednesday with New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade saying that no negotiations were ever held.

Earlier reports suggested that Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop had played a role in a delicate diplomatic rescue operation involving weeks of intense negotiations by Australian consular officials in China.

Ms Davis' parents Larry and Jenny thanked the Australian consulate-general and staff in China on Tuesday for their "dedication and work in negotiating with the Chinese government and authorities".

They also thanked solicitors they had engaged in Sydney and China.

However, New Zealand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday that the decision to release Ms Davis was China's alone.

"We understand the decision to release Ms Davis rested solely with Chinese authorities.

The Australian government has advised that no negotiations were held to secure Ms Davis' release, neither by consular officials nor by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop," a spokesman told the New Zealand Herald.

MFAT defended its inability to secure a similar release for Peter Gardner, the man with whom Ms Davis was arrested at Guangzhou airport, saying that it was not dictated by which government lobbied China harder.

Mr Gardner, 25, is a New Zealand citizen who has lived in Sydney for many years. He went to Richmond High School and worked for a local building company.

New Zealand's consul-general has visited Mr Gardner in a detention centre in Guangzhou and said he was being supported by his family and legal representatives.

It is not yet clear why Ms Davis was released but Mr Gardner wasn't.

The Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade would not comment on media reports that she was released because her name was not on the luggage or she was carrying hand luggage only.

Mr Stella wrote on Monday that the amount of drugs was not 75 kilograms, that it "wasn't even on her" and she was never charged.

He said he had prayed for a miracle to bring her home and that the incident was "totally not like her at all, totally out of her character".

"She's nothing but a caring genuine beautiful person inside n out and with a pure loving heart and soul," he posted on Facebook.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/kalynda-davis-exit-from-china-shrouded-in-mystery-20141210-1248bh.html

i pmd you my proof :)

no. you pmd me with a bunch of nonsense irrelevant to what i was asking for.

<snip>

on topic. im very skeptical of ms davis' release and look forward to hearing/seeing more come from this case.

...kytnism...:|

Last edited by a moderator:
why not just sidestep the bullshit and provide sources/proof to your initial statements?

...kytnism...:|

I'm kinda surprised as to how Kalynda Davis managed to leave China - seemingly "just like that" - after what has transpired.

Not that I'd wish her any ill will, but the mysterious circumstances behind her release seem rather squishy fishy.

Kalynda Davis' family breaks silence on China drug nightmare

The father of a Sydney woman detained in China has broken his silence over her ordeal.

Kalynda Davis returned to her Glenmore Park home on Monday after being detained in China for nearly a month, where she was accused of trying to smuggle up to 75 kilograms of ice out of the country.

On Wednesday, Mr Davis told Penrith paper the Western Weekender that he was informed of his daughter's release on December 5.

He said he immediately boarded a plane to Guangzhou on Saturday morning to bring home his youngest child.

"When I saw her for the first time, I just collapsed. She didn't know that I was coming either. She kept saying 'I'm sorry dad, I didn't do it, I didn't do it, I didn't do it'," the paper reported Mr Davis as saying.

"When we hit the tarmac in Sydney, we both just cried."

Friends celebrated Kalynda's return with tears and hugs on Wednesday, bringing gifts to the family's home and posting happy snaps of the former private school girl, as mystery surrounded her sudden and secretive release from China.

The Davis family reported their daughter missing in November. Days later, she surfaced in custody in China. She had been arrested at Guangzhou airport with her travelling partner, New Zealander Peter Gardner, who is still in custody in China.

Facing accusations that it had failed to secure the release of Mr Gardner, the New Zealand government revealed that Australian officials did not negotiate with their Chinese counterparts over Ms Davis' release and had nothing to do with it.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/kalynda-d...-on-china-drug-nightmare-20141210-124hlz.html

Mystery deepens over Kalynda Davis’ return

THE family of a young Sydney woman accused of drug smuggling in China has spoken out about her treatment as mystery over her release deepens.

Kalynda Davis, who was reported missing by her family in early November, was expected to face a Chinese court this week charged with trying to smuggle 75kg of ice to Australia with Peter Gardner, a man she met on Tinder just weeks before.

The drugs had a street value of $80 million and the 22-year-old from Glenmore Park in Sydney’s northwest, faced the prospect of being executed by a Chinese firing squad if charged and convicted of drug trafficking.

But after a month in custody, Ms Davis was released and made a surprise trip home on Tuesday after what was described as a “clandestine diplomatic rescue operation”.

Her father Larry Davis, a NSW former police officer, told the Western Weekender that his daughter initially planned to visit New Zealand only, but decided at the last minute to travel to China for a short getaway beforehand.

The plan was to return to Sydney for a couple of days before the pair flew out to New Zealand for the rest of their holiday.

Her parents only became concerned on November 10 when they noticed their daughter had not accessed her Facebook account and police said she never boarded her return flight back to Sydney.

A day after filing a missing persons report they were told the horrifying news that their daughter had been arrested and was being investigated over drug trafficking.

“Think of a parent’s worst nightmare and multiply it by 10, that’s what we went through. I know my daughter, I know my daughter — it was just my worst nightmare,” Mr Davis said.

The family endured an anxious month of waiting until they were finally told she was being released on Friday. Mr Davis flew to Guangzhou on Saturday to collect his youngest child where they had an emotional reunion.

“When I saw her for the first time, I just collapsed. She didn’t know that I was coming either. She kept saying ‘I’m sorry dad, I didn’t do it, I didn’t do it, I didn’t do it’,” he said.

But neither could relax until they hit the tarmac in Sydney, when the wheels touched both of them just started crying.

“She said that she can’t understand how she can thank the people who saved her life but I said to her, ‘no-one saved your life, you saved your life because of your actions, people just helped to get you back home’,” he said.

During her time in prison, Mr Davis said his daughter had her long blonde hair cut in a short bob and was shackled. She was not allowed to have contact with the outside world.

“It is like any detention centre, you have a small area to sleep and that’s it. The way that the Chinese authorities treated and respected her was incredible. Although conditions were not the best, their treatment of her was very respectful,” Mr Davis said.

Her release reportedly came after Foreign Minister Julie Bishop oversaw behind-the-scenes negotiations between Chinese authorities and the Department of Foreign Affairs staff at the Australian Consulate-General in Guangzhou, which eventually saw her release and fly “covertly” back to Australia.

In a statement released by the family through the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, they thanked Australian authorities.

“To the Australian consulate-general and staff: thank you for your dedication and work in negotiating with the Chinese Government and authorities.

“To the staff at Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade ... your tireless efforts will never be forgotten.”

But the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesman told the New Zealand Herald that the decision to release Ms Davis was not influenced by any lobbying.

“We understand the decision to release Ms Davis rested solely with Chinese authorities. The Australian Government has advised that no negotiations were held to secure Ms Davis release, neither by consular officials nor by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.”

News.com.au has sought to confirm with DFAT whether any negotiations took place but has not received a response.

It is understood that Ms Davis was only carrying hand-luggage, a fact confirmed by her father, and this may have been a key factor in her defence because the illicit drugs were found in checked-in baggage in Guangzhou.

“She only had carry-on luggage, that’s all she had and she was just approached by authorities and asked to come back to the office. Then she found out what was happening and was taken to the detention centre,” Mr Davis said.

He said he knew his daughter, who is a talented athlete and promising basketballer, was innocent.

“I knew she was so innocent. I prayed every night that the truth would come out, I prayed for the authorities, that it was dealt with in the way that it was dealt with, and our prayers were answered.”

While the nightmare seems to be over for Ms Davis, her travelling companion is believed to still be overseas and could still be facing the death penalty. It is not clear whether Mr Gardner, a New Zealand citizen, will be charged.

http://www.news.com.au/national/mys...nda-davis-return/story-fncynjr2-1227152307768

But again so much respect for the Chinese government for this descion. This level of integrity and judgement would never have been found almost anywhere else, especially the US. Respect.

Seriously? You think this has anything to do with the Chinese government regretting it's draconian drug policies? Not a chance, it's all about not wanting to look bad on the world stage for putting a bullet through the head of a pretty rich white girl. Note they didn't release the working class young man.

Seriously? You think this has anything to do with the Chinese government regretting it's draconian drug policies? Not a chance, it's all about not wanting to look bad on the world stage for putting a bullet through the head of a pretty rich white girl. Note they didn't release the working class young man.

I never said anything about "the Chinese government regretting it's draconian drug policies." This is something you just made up.

it's all about not wanting to look bad on the world stage for putting a bullet through the head of a pretty rich white girl

Again respect to the Chinese government for making a very positive descion around this. She is not that attractive at all.

Note they didn't release the working class young man.

No he will likely die. Even though im not down with this, I bet he fucking knew what he was doing. That and fuck meth, such a pathedic drug.

You think they just let her go because she is white, OK looking and a female? And that because they don't wont to look bad on a world stage? I highly doubt that.

Last edited:
This has nothing to do with Chinese "embarassment" on the world stage.
China (as a nation) is not some two-bit slave to the west, despite what some deluded patriotic people may believe.

My money is on this.
World politics people. Read up on it.

Chinese authorities have four days to charge accused Kiwi drug smuggler

The Chinese Government has four days left to charge a New Zealand man who could face the death penalty for alleged drug smuggling.

Peter Gardner, 25, remains in China after he was arrested at a Guangzhou airport last month for allegedly attempting to import 75kg of methamphetamine into Australia.

Read more:
• Former boss of arrested Kiwi Peter Gardner says drug charges 'out of character'
• Australian woman on drugs charges goes home, Kiwi still in Chinese jail

His Australian girlfriend, 22-year-old Kalynda Davis, returned to Sydney early on Tuesday after being freed. They were picked up before they boarded a flight to Sydney.

The Chinese Government has four days left to charge Gardner. Under Chinese law, suspects can be held in detention for a maximum of 37 days before being charged.

Gardner - a New Zealand citizen who lives in Richmond, northwest of Sydney - could face execution by firing squad if he is charged and convicted.

"The Consul-General has visited Mr Gardner in the detention centre to provide consular advice and check on his well-being. He remains in custody and has legal representation," a Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (Mfat) spokesman in New Zealand said.

It is understood the Gardner family has been advised by lawyers not to comment.

New Zealand officials have denied behind-the-scenes diplomacy and lobbying by Australian officials was behind Ms Davis' release.

Davis reportedly met Gardner two weeks before their arrest on the dating app Tinder. Photo / Supplied

The Mfat spokesman said yesterday the decision to release Ms Davis was China's alone, and was not dictated by which government had lobbied Chinese officials harder.

"We understand the decision to release Ms Davis rested solely with Chinese authorities. The Australian Government has advised that no negotiations were held to secure Ms Davis' release, neither by consular officials nor by Foreign Minister Julie Bishop."

The Mfat spokesman said the ministry could not comment further on the ongoing investigation "or interfere in the judicial proceedings of another country".

Ms Davis was allowed to walk free by Chinese officials after it emerged the methamphetamine was found in checked-in luggage and Ms Davis had only carry-on luggage on the international flight.

Friends describe shock at allegations

Gardner's former boss yesterday said he was shocked by the allegations and described the accusations as out of character.

Gardner worked for Michael Kulakovski's building company in Richmond as an apprentice.

"He's not a bad person. He's a hard worker. He gave his 100 per cent all the time with me. He's a very passionate, loyal guy," Mr Kulakovski said.

Friends of both Mr Gardner and Ms Davis have taken to Facebook in recent days to express their shock at the allegations.

"I grew up with Pete, know (Kalynda) through mutual friends. Either one of them wouldn't just go and do this," one wrote. Another said: "I'm seriously speechless."

Ms Davis, the daughter of an esteemed former cop, is believed to have met Gardner on dating app Tinder before the pair's departure.

Kalynda Davis spirited away

Hiding beneath a grey jacket, Ms Davis was spirited away from her parents' Glenmore Park home in Sydney yesterday following her return from China.

While the 22-year-old remained tight-lipped over her Chinese ordeal, father Larry revealed he collapsed with relief when he laid eyes on his daughter.

"She didn't know that I was coming either. She kept saying 'I'm sorry dad, I didn't do it, I didn't do it, I didn't do it'," Mr Davis told a local Penrith newspaper.

"When we hit the tarmac in Sydney, we both just cried.

"She said that she can't understand how she can thank the people who saved her life but I said to her, 'no-one saved your life, you saved your life because of your actions, people just helped to get you back home'."

Earlier, the Davis' next-door neighbour passed a large suitcase over the fence and to a woman in the backyard of the home.

New South Wales police last night confirmed they were not conducting inquiries, indicating it would remain a matter for the Australian Federal Police.

Read next: Jailed Kiwi rejects Bali police claim of drugs syndicate

- Daily Telegraph Australia, NZME. News Service

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11372568

Everyone has different preferences, no need to be like that. :\

I think my take is very valid. From what I have seen and experienced, the results of meth use are not positive and do not even produce a very pleasurable experiences. It does however stimulate the reward pathway like no other. This produces a very strong drive to use this drug. It also produces dopamine related compulsions that results in bizarre behavior like systematically destroying and breaking down junk picked garbage and creating and picking scabs to name a few.

I carry no astigmatism toward the people who use or addicted to this substance. I even lived in harmony among them without any problem for six months. IMO the chronic use of this substance causes unavoidable and significant negative outcomes. To each their own and im not judging anyone, however I reserve the right to judge a substance on the effects I have seen it create. The consequences I have witnessed have provided me more than enough evidence to claim "That and fuck meth, such a pathedic drug" with enthusiasm and a clear conscience.

People should be able to do what they want, and this includes telling it how you see it.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly fond of your DOC but I don't go around saying things like "fuck coke, it's pathetic." Leave that to the prohibitionists...

Fuck meth.. and im off this thread.. nothing but hassles all around. Pretty likely, from the comments of friends, this woman knew what was up. Glad she escaped though.

I think In an attempted defense of this woman I have offended at least five people.. Oh well :|

Fuck meth

Last edited:
This thread has taken a strange turn.
I totally get people wanting our community - and especially mods - to treat all drugs equally in their minds, and not be biased against any, just because we don't choose to use them.
However, I also totally get the "fuck meth" perspective, as part of the need to be honest and open about our knoweldge and opinions about drugs (notice: not about meth-users, but about the drug itself).
After all, meth causes more damage and destruction per user than most other drugs, in my experience. (And this apparently matches nsa's experience.)
So, I don't think that we should leave all criticism of drugs to the prohibitionists. Our criticisms - if they are based on experience and education - are more important and relevant than anything that prohibitionists could say. Criticising drug users for their choice of drug is not fair - after all, people who are naturally "slower" might want something to speed them up, and people who are naturally "faster" might want to slow down. But noting generalizations about how drugs affect people and society based on experience and education is an important part of harm reduction.
Should we all pretend that meth is safe and wonderful if you use it right? Seems silly to me.

Also, I agree very strongly with this comment by Spacejunk:
This has nothing to do with Chinese "embarassment" on the world stage.
China (as a nation) is not some two-bit slave to the west, despite what some deluded patriotic people may believe.