Just turned 36, grey hair emerging on crown. Cause? (possible from amphetamine use?)

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
I dosed 1 dose of 50 mg of amphetamine the last 3 weekends including this one, thus total 4 doses over three weeks.

Is it possible this could cause emergence of grey hair?

No hair loss.

I haven't made any other lifestyle, diet or medical changes.

My lifestyle is solid, always clean, no smoking or alcohol ever, can't BELIEVE I'm getting grey hair.

Anyone sympathize or have insights on possible causes?

Is it just a question of using hair dye every couple weeks from now on? (which I will do, I'm stupidly vain).

My mate started going grey when we were SEVENTEEN, man. He also had a noticeable bald patch in Uni (at 19, maybe 20).

Genetics? Or it can be stress or malnutrition?

A few months into recovery from a (nearly fatal) attack of acute pancreatitis, I was finding ALARMING amounts of hair on my pillow every morning. After just a couple months my hair was notably thinner (to me...thankfully I naturally have really thick hair so only me and people really close to me noticed as it was still thicker than average). I went to my GP and he confirmed it wasn't alopecia (which I've always feared since being traumatized from watching The Craft as a kid) as there wasn't like one spot where it was coming out or anything.
He said it was probably a combination of stress and having recently been seriously ill.
My hairdresser could tell, though and said I had like a band about 2 inches deep at my hairline where there was no hair, but there were "baby hairs" meaning it was already growing back.

I dosed 1 dose of 50 mg of amphetamine the last 3 weekends including this one, thus total 4 doses over three weeks.

No hair loss.

My lifestyle is solid, always clean, no smoking or alcohol ever, can't BELIEVE I'm getting grey hair.

Is it just a question of using hair dye every couple weeks from now on? (which I will do, I'm stupidly vain).

I wouldn't give it a second thought if there is no hair loss tbh. Dye it is it's really bothering you, but it's not a big deal. Some people even like the look (hashtag #DistinguishedDaddy)

Omg really? I thought everyone was supposed to have their natural hair color throughout their whole lives.

No hair loss.

That devilish powder is making your hair grey men, give it all to me and I'll make it disappear for good so it cannot harm no one else! :devilish:

Honestly I think you didn't take nowhere near enough to cause anything.
I took a gram or 2 per day for a couple of months and I got me some (more) white hairs on my head and beard.
Funny note, I only ever got white hairs, like Gandalf white, and never a single grey one.

I’d consider myself pretty healthy and got some salt n pepper already going in my 30’s. I’ve noticed people that use psychedelics tend to gray faster. I’ve had no shortage of stress either.

-GC

That devilish powder is making your hair grey men, give it all to me and I'll make it disappear for good so it cannot harm no one else! :devilish:

Honestly I think you didn't take nowhere near enough to cause anything.
I took a gram or 2 per day for a couple of months and I got me some (more) white hairs on my head and beard.
Funny note, I only ever got white hairs, like Gandalf white, and never a single grey one.

Yes, same - pure white hair, not grey.

I should note I'm HYPERSENSITIVE to chemicals.

i.e. even 10 to 20 mg over-the-counter codeine/opioid (one dose of solpedeine) will give me stupid constipation.

Would you feel fairly sure it was use of the "powder" than caused your whitening?

Did they stay that way indefinitely or return to being colored some time later?

im 54, reheaded, barely getting white at the temples, long ago my health nut mom said copper deficiencies could lend for graying, plenty of factors assuredly, but yep drugs can zap all the good minerals out, but think it would take more than a month

The white hairs that have emerged, they're really thin, weak and straggly/curly.

The type that seem to have been pushed out really quickly.

Not thick and full like the surrounding hair.

Perhaps this could mean they've emerged only very recently and potentially are related to amph use.... ?

Apparently the "fight or flight" physiological occurrence is responsible for white hair in some instances.

Perhaps that was the feeling associated with stimulant use in my case, as of course amph raises NE.

Jebus.

Says once pigment stem cells are gone = damage permanent.

A poster or r/stims mentioned he experienced something similar but his hair eventually grew back colored.

**fingers crossed**

No hair loss.

You’re 36. Welcome to being older. Age with grace.

The white hairs that have emerged, they're really thin, weak and straggly/curly.

The type that seem to have been pushed out really quickly.

Not thick and full like the surrounding hair.

Perhaps this could mean they've emerged only very recently and potentially are related to amph use.... ?
my spouse has long silky blonde hair but she is beginning to get gray hair persay, they are on the crown of her head, they are a different texture and some have a kink or two to them, i sometimes snatch them from her head, she said DONT! she believes this myth , if you pull one out 3 grow back, she is 20 yrs older than you, but some people grow long white, silver or gray hairs, some get wild lil kinky hairs, but honestly i dont think your weeks long amph use is making them sprout quicky, when i tweeked a half a dozen times in my life i noticed every lil hair , freckle ect, so maybe thats why its more of a concern, i dont blame yah! but yeah, white or grey hairs have a mind of thier own, so far i havent got the kinky ones , id def be a plucking!(gracefully lol)

Last edited:
Would you feel fairly sure it was use of the "powder" than caused your whitening?

Did they stay that way indefinitely or return to being colored some time later?
Well I had some pure white hairs already, but the number more than doubled in a couple months and has been stable since, so it seems very likely to me.
I was sleeping like 8 to 20 hours per week and not eating enough calories and micronutrients, that's why I am not sure your very minor use had anything to do with your white hairs, I mean 4 pills in 3 weeks?

Alrighty so..... went into a few hair salons for an opinion;

They seemed to think the grey/white was long enough to suggest it has been present for quite a while, not just 3 weeks since dosing amphetamine.

So - good in that it's not the drug.

Bad in that..... stopping the drug won't cause pigmentation to return, and I have white hair at 36 years old.

*sigh*

That being said, I was in the grocery store after and clocked this chick with super dark hair.

Obviously colored.

It was a hot look.

So maybe dying my hair every 4 weeks or so won't be the worst thing in the world?

It's still a grim reminder that I'm not a kid any more...... and the time for partying with college girls has passed me by.

:frustrated:

my mum says she went grey the day she got married, and knowing my dad, i totally believe it.

i've been going grey for years, only sligtly right now. i first noticed when i was addicted to crack but i think that was coincidental.