• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Just switched from Adderall XR to Dexedrine Spansules - what to expect?

Stimulated

Greenlighter
Greetings Bluelighters.

I am a senior undergrad biochemistry major that is prescribed stimulant medication for the sole purpose of treating his ADHD (mainly inattentiveness and distractibility).

My psychiatrist just switched my medication from Adderall XR to Dexedrine Spansules as a result of some side effects from the Adderall that I've experienced for awhile (cold hands/feet, poor circulation, anxiety, racing heart rate, "cracked-out" feelings at times). I just sort of put up with the side effects because I was unaware that there was an alternative medication with such similar therapeutic effects. The negative side effects with Adderall were getting to a point where they were beginning to cancel out some of the beneficial effects (at least in terms of productivity).

I took my first dose this morning (along with some L-theanine) and from what I can tell so far, Dexedrine provides most (if not all) of the therapeutic benefits of Adderall without the negative side effects (although the cold hands do remain). I am also able to eat normally on Dexedrine, something I was unable to do while on the Adderall. I am much calmer, less anxious, and more clear-headed on Dexedrine than I was on Adderall. So far I have nothing but good things to say about Dexedrine, but then again, it is my first day on the medication so this may change.

Does anyone have a similar experience switching from Adderall to Dexedrine? What are the major side effects of Dexedrine as compared to Adderall? How long do Dexedrine Spansules last vs. Adderall XR? Also, does Adderall provide any therapeutic benefits that the Dexedrine cannot?

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Dexedrine is dextroamphetamine, while adderall is dextroamphetamine and levoamphetamine in a 75/25 mix respectively. The L-amphetamine in adderall is responsible for most of the negative side effects you experience.

The dexedrine is a smooth experience and much better imo. Adderall XR is going to last longer, but the added benefits of not feeling tweaked out far outweigh a possibly shorter duration with dexedrine.

I too majored in biochemistry. Really need to go back and finish...

Dexedrine is pure D-amphetamine, Adderall contains 75% D-amphetamine and 25% L-amphetamine.

As far as I know, D-amphetamine is more selective for dopamine (which produces a pleasant stimulation), whereas L-amphetamine mostly promotes the release of norepinephrine (which produces motivation, alertness and energy, but also anxiety) and is presumably a stronger vasoconstrictor (cold hands and all).