• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Just ran out of Xanax.

SciCo

Bluelighter
I have been on 1mg a day (with occasional days of 2mg) for a year. The past 4 weeks or so I've been taking 1 to 3mg/day. Just ran out and won't be able to get any until next week. Is it gonna be difficult (physically) to go without for the next few days? :\

You are really only gonna have some anxiety problems. If you have a seizure, go to the emergency room.

Explain your situation.

Yes, it is going to be very difficult. Is there really nothing you can do to get it sooner? If not, you may end up having to go to the ER to get some. It is possible to have a seizure after stopping benzos after a year of continued use.

It's going to be pretty difficult because even though you weren't using a high dosage your body is still dependent on it. I hope that you can get some pills because cold turkey is going to suck since you can have seizures like other's above have said. If you really can't get any make sure you monitor your symptoms and if it gets bad go to the emergency room asap.

yea man i would not go cold turkey...opiates maybe, but benzos are no joke when it comes to WD. When i was in rehab a few years ago i was in with a guy who was taking like 10mg's a day plus of xanax and they wernt giving him enough phenobarbital for the WD and he had a seizure right in front of me, it was nuts.

If it is your rx couldnt you talk to your Dr? If it came down to it, i would maybe try an offshore pharm and order some xanax rush delivery, or you could probably get some phenazepam and use that to maintain yourself until you get more xanax. ive never had phenazepam before but it seems easy to get.

As other posters have already said, doing cold turkey off that type of a dose is a bad idea and won't be any walk in the park. Benzo withdrawal is serious and is best dealt with by doing a taper with a longer acting benzo such as Valium (diazepam) or Klonopin (clonazepam). This should be done under the supervision of a doctor.

I've been in basically the exact same situation. The pharmacists (who already know of my history of substance abuse) actually gave me enough pills to hold me off from the withdrawals after a consultation with my doctor. They knew it was a serious situation. I think it's worth a shot.

A few days without it shouldn't be too terrible, but a week is really pushing it.

Yeah, I kicked xanax cold turkey and two days later I had a grand mal seizure. It's not a good time.

yea man i would not go cold turkey...opiates maybe, but benzos are no joke when it comes to WD. When i was in rehab a few years ago i was in with a guy who was taking like 10mg's a day plus of xanax and they wernt giving him enough phenobarbital for the WD and he had a seizure right in front of me, it was nuts.

If it is your rx couldnt you talk to your Dr? If it came down to it, i would maybe try an offshore pharm and order some xanax rush delivery, or you could probably get some phenazepam and use that to maintain yourself until you get more xanax. ive never had phenazepam before but it seems easy to get.

Opiates would highly heighten his proneness to seizures if he is already lowered.

I don't think he was saying he should use opiates during xanax withdrawal, but that he would consider cold turkeying opiates, but not xanax.

xanax withdrawal is no joke, man. You definitely need some kind of medical help, because at your dose/length of use it is going to be fucking hell. I had to stop taking xanax a few years ago at ~4mg a day for about a year, and honestly felt like I was on the verge of a seizure for a few weeks.. My friend had to stop at the same time as me, with a similar habit, and DID end up having a seizure.. I have seen people in rehab have seizures as well. No fun.

Please call your doctor/pharmacy and see if they can help you out. Stress the fact that this is serious, and you are at risk of a seizure. Any good doctor should understand. I have run out of klonopin early sometimes, and the doctor helped me out by calling in an early refill.

If all else fails, go to teh ER and explain your situation. They cannot deny you care, this is a legitimate medical emergency.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The situation is that I used up my RX about 2 weeks ahead of schedule and my doctor's been kicking people out left and right for abuse, so I was worried about trying to get a refill before I was due. I did manage to reschedule my appt tomorrow (so that will be less than 48 hours without) - hopefully he won't give me a hard time. He already cut me back once and I cannot get a refill without seeing him first. My pharmacy will not even give out one pill without dr. authorization, I tried that already.

Hopefully tonight won't be too bad, right now I'm just shaky and have some anxiety. Probably won't be able to sleep. Oh well. Wish I had known about all this before I started, my doctor literally gave me NO warnings whatsoever about dependency or withdrawal issues.

I've been in your shoes. You have my sympathy.

I'd recommend you ask your doctor to put you on a safe taper program to get off the damn things. You're fucked if he cuts you off. So get off them safely while you can.

Damnn benzos sound like a bitch to be dependent on.

Yes, they are. This thread just scared the crap out of me reading so many very knowledgeable BLers responses. OP, I'm trying to avoid benzo w/d, best of luck with it, and as many others have said, it's dangerous.

What's the best way to get off benzo's without the withdrawals? Seems like benzo's suck to get off after long usage. It kinda makes me a bit worried to be prescribed ativan.

Yes, they may be much more willing to provide anti-seizure medication, and have you go through the hell of the withdrawal, unfortunately. But get something, if you're gonna be without the Xanax.

5 seizures here, 2 during sex!
Go to hospital, explain situation, they will give you weekly diazepam and tamper...
Oh and good luck trying to think for the next 6 months...
its funny, once you've been off xanax for a year, you take one, and it feels like previous year was wasted and all you remember are your xanny days
crazy shit!"