Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Joaquin Phoenix retires from Acting

i predict he'll fade into complete obscurity.

If it turns out that this whole thing is not a hoax, he might turn into a cult hero. There's something about people who walk away from a career at the height of their fame (ex. Syd Barret, Betty Page, J.D. Salinger) that people find fascinating.
If this whole thing turns out to be a hoax (which is where I am right now), then he'll fade into obscurity like another Aimee Semple McPherson.

I think there is another option to what is going on. This could be a hoax with a point to it. Like one day Joaquin will say "I did this to show how resistant people are to someone wanting to follower their dreams." Or something like that.

for me, this specific interview was quite unremarkable.

I didn't find it remarkable. I found it to be a refreshing change from heavily contrived bullshit that is simply aimed to advertise a product where actors (who are supposed to be artists) are waved around like little puppets in order to promote their latest film. Letterman practically works for the studios. He pretty much always says (from what I've seen of him anyway which admittedly isn't a lot) I saw this film last night and loved it. And you can tell he's lying. He leans forward in his chair like an excited schoolboy. His comedy (if you could go so far as to call it that) is consistently horrible. I don't know. I would've liked it if Phoenix spat in his face personally. But I respect your opinion.

If it turns out that this whole thing is not a hoax, he might turn into a cult hero. There's something about people who walk away from a career at the height of their fame (ex. Syd Barret, Betty Page, J.D. Salinger) that people find fascinating.

He's famous but not THAT famous.

I think there is another option to what is going on. This could be a hoax with a point to it. Like one day Joaquin will say "I did this to show how resistant people are to someone wanting to follower their dreams." Or something like that.

That would be a cool point to make.

You sound like a conservative television producer.

Why do you say this? Because I think it's rude to shit all over someone's place of business? I'd expect my clients to act much more reasonable than this crap as I'm sure is customary in the talk show host world. If that makes me a 'conservative television producer' then so be it. Also, thanks for replying to my very logical opinion like a mature adult. 8)

FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE! FUCKING THING SUCKS!!!

ei1a3q.jpg

(sorry mods I'll stop playing <3)

I personally cannot even believe Joaquin, I mean this guy had it going for him in cinema but he just fucked it up by doing drugs! now look what they did to him he's a raving lunatic even dennis letterman is hipper than him now, he's fucking canin' him!

thanks for replying to my very logical opinion like a mature adult.

I don't see how I was in the slightest bit immature or offensive. The term a 'conservative television producer' isn't an insult in and of itself. You seem to take the rules of a crappy television show a little too seriously, that's all. I don't understand why you would insist that interviews must be contrived and that people aren't allowed to spontaneously decided to fuck the prearranged studio approved jokes in order to sabotage a little bit of television and expose it for the hopeless charade that it is.

If a news anchor threw away the news and said "Fuck this, I'm not going to scare these people anymore. Let's stop with the constant death toll, shall we? Let's talk about something else..." then that would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. But based on your 'very logical opinion' this isn't what a news reader should do.

He was there to {read the news}. If you don't want to be there for the reason your agent gave to the show then don't fucking go.

I think this attitude is conservative and generally counter-productive.

Apologies if I upset you by saying any of this this. I tried to do it as maturely as I could to avoid further animated eye rolls. (They shame me.)

Last edited:
I don't see how I was in the slightest bit immature or offensive. The term a 'conservative television producer' isn't an insult in and of itself. You seem to take the rules of a crappy television show a little too seriously, that's all. I don't understand why you would insist that interviews must be contrived and that people aren't allowed to spontaneously decided to fuck the prearranged studio approved jokes in order to sabotage a little bit of television and expose it for the hopeless charade that it is.

If a news anchor threw away the news and said "Fuck this, I'm not going to scare these people anymore. Let's stop with the constant death toll, shall we? Let's talk about something else..." then that would be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. But based on your 'very logical opinion' this isn't what a news reader should do.

I think this attitude is conservative and generally counter-productive.

Apologies if I upset you by saying any of this this. I tried to do it as maturely as I could to avoid further animated eye rolls. (They shame me.)

I don't understand how you can call someone a 'conservative television producer' and say it's not an insult, then later on in he same post couple conservative and counter-productive? lol, obviously you meant it as a bad thing.

FWIW eye-roll isn't suggestive of being 'upset'. lol. I didn't take your comment too seriously, I think you're reading into a dumb emoticon too much. I just thought it was lame that you responded with a one-off quip.

I'm just sayin, it's not their place to do something like that unless they were a producer or director of the show. If Letterman decided to say 'fuck it, lets talk about how amazing Dominique Dawes was for the whole show' then not only his but several other heads would roll. If Letterman changed his show to the Dominique Dawes show nobody would keep watching. If they did it would be for a couple weeks and it would be sheerly for the novelty.

Anyway, like I'm saying, your ideas sound fine and good but when it comes down to it we're talking about JOBS. People have to do their job right and assholes like Phoenix mess it up and make it difficult for him to do it right. Your enjoyment in seeing the show more ad-libbed than usual is simply not important to the show directors, sorry. I never watch Letterman either, to be honest, because I too dislike the whole 'staginess' of it all. That said my one little vote doesn't really matter. The masses like it the way it is and the show has a right to keep it in it's boring format, and actors coming on the show should either buy into the program or not show up at all.

Regardless (I know, tl;dr) this is dumbass Hollywood. Are you seriously looking there for much at all that could be considered productive? I know I'm not looking to David Letterman of all people to make his forum one of productive change in the world.

No, I don't go watching talk shows looking for something productive. It was just a clip I watched online. And I didn't mean to imply that Letterman is going to change the world. What I was saying was counter productive was you demanding that people follow the rules.

People have to do their job right and assholes like Phoenix mess it up and make it difficult for him to do it right.

The show knew exactly what it was doing when they got Phoenix to come on. They weren't taking any risks. The interview has gotten a lot of publicity for the network and the program. There are no victims that I can see.

Being a conservative television producer is a bad thing I guess in reality. I meant it to come across jokingly in an exaggerated absurd kind of way. Like if you hear someone complaining about bagels and you tell them that they sound like Hitler. It really wasn't an insult, you fascist cross dressing crack addicted wannabe ball fondling Letterman groupie.

Last edited:
^ lol! I'm so offended. =D

I still think I'm right but it's getting kind of circular so I'll just leave it at that. Plus, I don't really have any more time to belabor my points what with all the ball fondling I have yet to do today.

I think everyone is looking way too deep into this.. Pheonix probably just went off the deep end. Watch the vid on youtube of his 911 phone call when his brother was dying from an overdose. He watched his brother die right in front of his face! I would be scared for life, and just abuse all kinds of drugs.

The guy probably did this silly movie for some quick money. Then did the letterman show because the production company insisted on some advertisment. This didn't seem like some rebellion for attention.. He is genuinly fucked up! He's got the shades on, hiding his eyes, scratching his beard constently, and mentions the audience is gased up on something. He can't even speak more than a sentence.

Pheonix has been on Letterman before so its not like he's just trying to go against the grain.. Watch that vid then the recent vid.

Joaquin Phoenix had better be joking and this whole thing is one big gag from Letterman's apparence because other-wise this man is an embarrassment, sort of like the entire history of Israel, but without Uzi's.

This is kinda shallow, but ya know, for a vegan, he's pretty fat.
I'm sure he's been sneaking in some milkshakes once in a while.

Yet people still think it's a pratical joke or that he's preparing for a movie role. I guess it will take Joaquin getting into a shoot-out with 50 Cent to convince them otherwise.