• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Joaquin Phoenix retires from Acting

The Liberal Media

Bluelighter
Comes as bit of a shock, was one of my favorites...

LOS ANGELES (AFP) — US actor Joaquin Phoenix, a two-time Oscar nominee, announced his intention to bring an end to his film career and dedicate his time to music.

"I want to take this opportunity... also to give you the exclusive and just talk a little bit about the fact that this will be my last performance as an actor... I'm not doing films anymore," he told the "Extra" television programme.

He said Tuesday he would now focus on music, without giving details.

The latest film of Phoenix, 34, is "Two Lovers," a romantic drama starring him and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Brother of River Phoenix, who died of a drug overdose in 1993, Joaquin was nominated for an Oscar in 2006 for his portrayal of singer Johnny Cash in "Walk the Line."

He was nominated for another statuette for his supporting role in "Gladiator" in 2000.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gFs7_L0lMRAOqlJuGufPu9Pmdz6A

A shame. :(

But I can't say it's a real shock to me. I remember before River died, he also intended to give up acting. He wanted to help his father run a vegan restaurant, and also pursue a career in music.

He'll be missed, but I hope he finds happiness in his new career. You have to do what's right, before it's too late. <3

tribal girl said:
He'll be missed, but I hope he finds happiness in his new career. You have to do what's right, before it's too late. <3

wow, your reaction is a lot nicer than mine (which was "What a fucking pudd!")

It won't last. Brother River had a band with Martha Plimpton that never broke out. Ditto Keanu Reeves, Johnny Depp, et cetera ad nauseum.

He'll be back when the rent needs paying.

Ok, I gotta say I still have mad love for M.I.A. who recently claimed the same thing but for the love of god why the fuck do you need to announce this shit to everyone? It's more of a 'I'm not into acting right now so I'm going to focus on my music' rather than 'I'm retired!'. Why make something so permanent when you don't know what you're going to want to do or where you're going to be in a few years from now? It seems like most people who are successful in a field go back on these 'retirements' anyway.

junctionalfunkie said:
It won't last. Brother River had a band with Martha Plimpton that never broke out.

Really?, I wasn't aware of that.

He was in the process of making an album before he died, with his band Aleka's Attic. It even got leaked onto the net. What I've heard of it was great. %)

AmorRoark said:
Why make something so permanent when you don't know what you're going to want to do or where you're going to be in a few years from now? It seems like most people who are successful in a field go back on these 'retirements' anyway.

I understand your point completely. But it's not worth getting upset about. Maybe he'll go back to acting, maybe he won't. Good luck to him. :)

AmorRoark said:
Ok, I gotta say I still have mad love for M.I.A. who recently claimed the same thing but for the love of god why the fuck do you need to announce this shit to everyone? It's more of a 'I'm not into acting right now so I'm going to focus on my music' rather than 'I'm retired!'. Why make something so permanent when you don't know what you're going to want to do or where you're going to be in a few years from now? It seems like most people who are successful in a field go back on these 'retirements' anyway.

Usually because if you dont, rumors will start circulating after a couple of months.

"Oh Joaquin hasnt been in a movie for a while"

Next thing you know, he has been spotted at an HIV Anonymous meeting etc etc. :D

tribal girl said:
Really?, I wasn't aware of that.

He was in the process of making an album before he died, with his band Aleka's Attic. It even got leaked onto the net. What I've heard of it was great. %)

That's the one. Unless I'm mistaken, I think Martha Plimpton was part of Aleka's Attic. When I said "never broke out," I meant that the man-on-the-street probably didn't know about it.

I wasn't aware Martha was ever a part of the band. His sister Rain was though.

tribal girl said:
I understand your point completely. But it's not worth getting upset about. Maybe he'll go back to acting, maybe he won't. Good luck to him. :)

I'm not upset, I'm just judging. ;)

The Liberal Media said:
Usually because if you dont, rumors will start circulating after a couple of months.

"Oh Joaquin hasnt been in a movie for a while"

Next thing you know, he has been spotted at an HIV Anonymous meeting etc etc. :D

Yeah, exactly why you just say 'i'm taking a break' instead of "i'm retired". But to each their own.

I would imagine that if he is doing it for music's sake then he won't give a toss about "commercial" success.

It's not like he's gonna go broke.

And if you can, you should.

I do like him a lot..but yeah, to say you're "retiring" from acting at such a young age is like making a post in the Lounge about how you're leaving Bluelight forever and then coming back a few days later under another alias ;)

I have a feeling he'll come back to make films later on, and do a slew of interviews saying that he wasn't really retiring, but only taking a break.
I don't like putting a period on things that may or may not change in the future. If he really wanted to focus on his music, than just do it, no need to say he will retire from acting, riiiiiight?

Why make something so permanent when you don't know what you're going to want to do or where you're going to be in a few years from now? It seems like most people who are successful in a field go back on these 'retirements' anyway.

AGREED!

Anyway, I'll rewatch my DVDs of Parenthood and Quills tonight :D

AmorRoark said:

Personally, I wonder why people don't retire from entertainment more often. People used to. Cary Grant and James Cagney hadn't made movies in 20 years by the time they died.
I mean, if you have enough money that you never have to work a day in your life again. Enough money that you could sit around the house smoking weed all day and watching movies in your pajamas. all day every day.
Why the fuck wouldn't you retire?

I think he's saying "I'm retired" rather than "I'm taking a break" because he want's to be left alone in the interim.

The Liberal Media said:
Martha rocked in the Goonies :)

She was always my favourite character in The Goonies. Even to this day. :D <3

To be honest, I've always really liked her in general. She's just one of those cool, funny, intelligent chicks you'd wanna go for drinks with. %)

Stef: "This is ridiculous. It's crazy. I feel like I'm babysitting, except I'm not getting paid". :D

EA-1475 said:
I think he's saying "I'm retired" rather than "I'm taking a break" because he want's to be left alone in the interim.

That actually is a good reason.

hopefully he'll brett favre it.

was that him in "parenthood"...fucking crazy. gary, the son, right?