• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids ITS SAFE mix methadone with codeine?

It depends on your tolerance. The answer is that it is probably safe for an individual with any kind of tolerance.

I'd think it'd be a waste of codiene. 60mg codeine is nothing at all to 20mg methadone in terms of effects.. It mighr be the equivalent of ~2mg methadone, max.

Last edited:
I'd think it'd be a waste of codiene. 60mg codeine is nothing at all to 20mg methadone in terms of effects.. It mighr be the equivalent of 3.5mg methadone, max.

Yep. 60mg of codeine is only gonna be perceptible if you have virtually no tolerance.

The methadone is the better question. All things considered 20mg of methadone isn't much for most people with a reasonable tolerance. It's a LOT for someone without a tolerance though.

The starting opioid naive dose according to Dr Google appears to be about 1-2mg.

If you haven't taken opioids stronger than codeine before and have no experience, I wouldn't recommend going above a few mg.

Methadone is very dangerous for opioid naive people.

And if you feel 60mg of codeine, you likely have virtually no tolerance.

In conclusion, they are safe to mix in the sense that the codeine adds almost nothing to the methadone. But methadone isn't safe to take at all in doses much above a few mg if you have no tolerance. And if 60mg does anything, you probably don't.

Last edited:
^ Exactly. I've had opiate naive people floored off 20mg of my methadone.

Having been relatively clean for 5 years, I can now definitely feel 60mg of codeine. So if you do have no tolerance then the combination could be dangerous. Unlikely, but not worth the risk.