Votes: 2 8.7%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️⭐️

• ⭐️

• Total voters
^ You know...Curly, from the Three Stooges.

photoCurlyHoward.jpg

That guy.

Oh!
I do know!
Well, the two are similar.
I find Curly to be more innocent and childish, like any other sidekick. There wasnt much more of a punchline after he gets hurt
While Farley, on the other hand, was the one to make a monumental mistake and then an even more monumental reaction.
That's the best way I could differentiate the two, I hope it makes enough sense...

If you want an "innocent and childish" Farley, look no further than Tommy Boy or Black Sheep.

Yes, at first, but his character was dynamic. he wasnt the same at the end of the movie. he was confident and in charge.
Curly was very static.

^ha. the whole cast is gold, but charlie is definitely MVP.

just watched the 3rd one. only three times did it make me laugh. the song they sing at the beginning of the pageant. the gang choosing the winner at the end. and when the little girls walked in and they dropped the title. but that last one was because i though the episode was going to be funny. it wasn't, so i don't think that laugh counts.

i haven't seen this weeks yet, but i hope it's a big improvement over the last 2.

Thank you for reminding me about that episode. CAROL! =D

This week's episode disappointed me. :( :(

If it wasnt for this show I would have never been aware of Stockholm Syndrome...

Wow, she's hawt irl
This weeks episode Storm of the Century was hilarious imo

oh man the second and third episodes of the most recent season made me laugh so hard it hurt, and I felt sick, and had to work hard not to throw up from how bad and funny it was. Seriously. So ridiculously hilarious it was painful. Lordy.

diagnose the charectars of it's always sunny in philidelphia

Dennis: narcissist/sociopath. The most sick, and twisted one. Most likely to be a serial killer/rapist.
Dee: narcissistic/sociopath. Same as dennis, except that even she is genuinely appalled by some of dennis' behavior.
Charlie: schizophrenic. Has delusions and hallucinations (pepe sylvia episode)
Frank: schizophrenic manifested mostly in delusions. As Dee is to Dennis, Frank is to Charlie. He harbors all of Charlies delusions, with the absence of sober hallucinations.
Mac: Not entirely sure...

I understand these are old posts, but even if the poster isn't around anymore it doesn't matter because they're representative of a facet of internet based hypercriticality that I think is revealing.

What I mean is ... I'm trying to reconcile these two quotes about the character of Mac being a plagiarization of Chris Farley characters.
that's a blatent violation of Chris Farley's comedic copyright.
fat man+ fast actions= Farley territory

that's why I hate Jack Black...
he's a total Farley ripoff.
HeWhoHowls said:
I dnt thnk I know who Curly Howard is but I'm sure any possible archetype has been masterred already...

The first quote seems to claim Mac's character and Jack Black's characters plagiarize Farley's comic characters. Now, what's interesting is that the second quote seems to make an about-face and acknowledge that these same types of rip offs are inevitable at this stage of cultural history (i.e. "The Simpsons did it"), and, by employing the ellipsis, the quote conveys that this perspective should have been recognized as obvious (the ellipsis functioning textually as a "pregnant silence"). So in the first quote the poster props themselves up by denouncing Mac's comic portrayal as derivative, implicitly insisting this is an insightful observation in a sort of "gotcha" moment, which is perfectly fine by me, but then in the second quote the poster again gets to puff up their ego by making a comment that conveys that they have a broader perspective on the whole matter while ignoring the blatant inconsistencies with what they've said before.

I don't mean to turn critical glances towards HeWhoHowls. It's nothing personal. For all I know this is the one and only time he or she has behaved this way. Shit, it's just text in a forum, maybe I'm missing something in this particular instance. In any case their posts just happen to function as an example here. In fact, I point this all out because I'm worried I do this without knowing it online all the time. I see this type of self serving absentmindedness and its analogues constantly online (not just on sites where people are posting high a lot), and it seems to be emblematic of how we as a culture are using the affordances of internet technology (anonymity/lack of interpersonal consequences/division of attention) to live in an information bubble where we dupe ourselves into self-satisfaction without taking risks or putting in any real effort to our thoughts at all. Critique, *submit*, spew mockery, *submit*, dismiss ... It's pretty disturbing, but also fascinating and funny.

The self-deluding narcissistic sociopath character of Dennis Reynolds is a cartoonishly distorted refection of what we've become (and, in some sense, what we always were, just now made more evident by all the new information that modern communications technology presents us with). I think, even if we don't know it fully, and even if it's not the intent of the writers, that's a big part of why Dennis' is the face of It's Always Sunny and why the show resonates the way it does.