• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Isn't weed a ppycadelic drug

I also think smoking through a bong is a lot more intense. Spliff or lil pipe works best IMO.

It isn't. It can feel like it at the time, but it isn't actually a psychedelic. They are two completely different drugs, although there is a certain degree of overlap. Psychedelics can take you to completely different places and the experiences are much more likely to stick with you. I have had plenty of experiences with both and there is a major difference between not simply the intensity but more the nature of the experience. Cannabis can be just as impairing as tripping can be, but it lacks the genuine profoundness and sharpness of psychedelics. The visuals also aren't anything alike. Psychedelics can cause actual hallucinations, whereas cannabis just causes slight pseudo hallucinations/tricks of the mind. They also work on completely different parts of the brain. Cannabis is active at the cannabinoid receptors. Psychedelics activate serotonin/dopamine receptors. So, they are totally different drugs.

Last edited:
It isn't. It can feel like it at the time, but it isn't actually a psychedelic. They are two completely different drugs, although there is a certain degree of overlap. Psychedelics can take you to completely different places and the experiences are much more likely to stick with you. I have had plenty of experiences with both and there is a major difference between not simply the intensity but more the nature of the experience. Cannabis can be just as impairing as tripping can be, but it lacks the genuine profoundness and sharpness of psychedelics. The visuals also aren't anything alike. Psychedelics can cause actual hallucinations, whereas cannabis just causes slight pseudo hallucinations/tricks of the mind. They also work on completely different parts of the brain. Cannabis is active at the cannabinoid receptors. Psychedelics activate serotonin/dopamine receptors. So, they are totally different drugs.

Actually weed does agonize the 5ht2a receptor and possibly other seratonin receptors

two tokes of hash on a Saturday morning after going to the market:
my feet are up and hands behind my head in a relaxing chair, looking out over a gray but peaceful November street scene in Toronto
my relaxed body is creating sensory trails and I begin to visualize them in different ways - three dimensions is not enough.
so
to help myself see the waves of sensation in another dimension, 'time', I create a huge grid with colored balls moving in time with what I am sensing, and those balls are making trails in that grid, it feels great, and i understand it, in flashes.
then I say, hey that looks like molecules (... not molecules, model-cules... )
and now I have lost the thread...
and this happens from time to time...
probably should not drive for a couple hours.

I got so nicely stoned last night. I smoked 2 bongs and was couch-locked and red-eyed for hours. Most enjoyable :) I ate like 10kg of vegan chocolate mousse. Tolerance break was rewarding- now to avoid it skyrocketing again.

I forgot to respond to this, I actually started smoking again at about the same time and got lost in a haze lol. Still going good? :) It was pretty nice for me too though I also find it a little more anxious with less tolerance, but now I'm beyond that again. It's been a fun week but it's time to slow down a bit too I think.... Gotta keep the good thing going. It's good to get perspective too, I was actually feeling pretty happy by the end of the break, that odd sobriety euphoria you get when you've been high for so long. I feel like it'll probably be easier for me to slow down for a while now.

...I often tell my tired friends to smoke some with me to help keep them awake. However, I do this knowing that it will not actually work lol.

I also use cannabis to help myself get a good night's sleep, but it's worth noting that, at least when my tolerance is not huge, the effect is delayed. It gets my mind racing too much at the beginning to allow me to fall asleep right away.

I too used to smoke to get to sleep, but realized that my dreams, or more importantly, the memory of my dreams was gone too. I quit smoking and my dreams. or the memory of them, returned.
I don't smoke theses days,but I do know that weed was definitely ppycadelic for me too. Especially when smoking after more conventional ppycs.

Yes, weed is a psychedelic drug. It's classified as a cannabinoid, not a classical 5ht2a psychedelic hallucinogen (as far as I can tell). Like any psychedelic, it's effects are unpredictable, and tolerance builds quickly. Most people that are somewhat tolerant to it will claim that it isn't psychedelic.

I've had my world shattered by cannabis. It's a unique trip, and generally folks tend to prefer sub-psychedelic doses (one hit) for therapy or recreation.

I mean when comparing an intense weed high to an acid trip, I wouldn't classify weed as a psychedelic. a psychedelic is far more intense with strange body highs and mental states as well as heavy hallucinations.

The first few times I smoked were definitely mind opening. I hallucinated and left my body. Any time I get really baked I still have audio hallucinations and sometimes the walls breathe or change colors. Since starting to trip on the classics, my dab trips tend to have similar profound thinking.

I forgot to respond to this, I actually started smoking again at about the same time and got lost in a haze lol. Still going good? :) It was pretty nice for me too though I also find it a little more anxious with less tolerance, but now I'm beyond that again. It's been a fun week but it's time to slow down a bit too I think.... Gotta keep the good thing going. It's good to get perspective too, I was actually feeling pretty happy by the end of the break, that odd sobriety euphoria you get when you've been high for so long. I feel like it'll probably be easier for me to slow down for a while now.

Yeah, I actually found this tolerance break to be really pleasant. I find that excessive smoking makes talking harder than it should be, there seems to be this permanent lag in between me finding the right words and being able to actually say them. I feel much more verbal when I am not chronically stoned. I think I'm going to attempt maintaining something like this, I can accept smoking daily but I think it should just be once a day, rather than multiple small sessions throughout the day.

My early marijuana experiences were absolutely psychedelic, though in a different, much cloudier and wackier way. Still, they really helped to shape my worldview for a while. Some of my harder trips have been my early weed excursioins.

These days I find it sort of a psychedelic adjunct, it works really well to kick a trip up a few levels and add its own wacky element to it. This can be very useful. By itself now, with many years of experience, it can still sometimes facilitate beautiful, connemplative experiences. I find that when I smoke weed with the intention of writing, it invariably helps me to access deep memories which is cool. It's not on the level of tryptamines or lysergamides and phenethylamines though. Much too cloudy and there doesn't seem to be a push towards useful ego dissolution, more of a massive level of confusion and hilarity that can have its own uses.

I don't think weed is psychedelic unless you broaden your definition of psychedelic to encompass virtually everything. To me psychedelic refers to the classic serotonergic psychedelics. Does the weed experience have some similarities to the psychedelic experience? Sure but I often love people on opiates and nobody would dream of calling them empathogens. I feel the same about ketamine and MDMA. Neither I consider psychedelic. All these drugs have completely different mechanisms of action. If all of these drugs are psychedelic then what does the term mean? "Mind-expanding?" Let's be honest that's a pretty vague term and you could argue amphetamine is mind expanding if you want. I think people just throw all "trippy" drugs into the psychedelic category and at that point it stops being a useful term. There is the old Hallucinogen label which groups all drugs that somehow "non-trivially" alter perception and cognition but I'd really prefer that psychedelic be used to refer to the classic psychedelics because it just creates confusion. When someone says this is a psychedelic I'd like to know if it's ACTUALLY a psychedelic or it just made them feel weird.

the critical thing with psychedelics is not the precise family of chemicals it belongs to, but the kinds of mental effects it produces - in particular effects that include:
TRAILS
TIME Compression or Dilation or skipping (like deja vu)
Color (all senses really) Enhancement
Memory or thought loops
Suspicion that inanimate things are watching you
The appearance of voices or entities.
Sudden understanding of profound truths that does not last well when you come down.

weed can produce all these effects

Weed and psychedelics are like apples and oranges. Being "stoned" has no resemblance to being "high", and whatever people say, weed is certainly not trip-enhancing. Only people who have failed to make the distinction between "stoned" and "high" have the notion that it is. There's actually no relation at all. Who would choose a state of confused exaggeration over one of cosmic clarity? In computing there are two conditions, 1 and 0. In condition 1 there is work to do. In condition 0 there is no work to do. Weed creates a 0 state in which it is impossible to accomplish anything. This is in diametrical opposition to the psychedelic condition, in which one is enabled to accomplish the most amazing cosmic breakthroughs. I describe weed as a phony psychedelic.

I haven't smoked weed since 1976. Interestingly, I ate 1/4 marijuana cookie recently to help me sleep, and it was far too strong, I was really stoned. What a singularly unpleasant experience! But is was a chance for me to validate the reasons I walked away from it all those years ago. Kind of funny coming from someone you weren't likely to remember running into back then.

So make the distinction between "stoned" and "high", and never confuse the two. IMO no one in their right mind would mix weed with psychedelics. Which begs the question: Who in their right mind would choose to be stoned?

That said, MJ edibles are an absolute miracle for those suffering from chronic insomnia (just cook weed on a low heat in butter for 2 hours, strain that and use it to bake cookies). They are also an effective treatment for cancer!

Last edited:
Who would choose a state of confused exaggeration over one of cosmic clarity? [...] IMO no one in their right mind would mix weed with psychedelics.

LOL get off your high horse. You don't like it, that's fine, but obviously there are a lot of people who do like the combination. And it's not because they don't understand the binary opposition between "stoned" and "high", they just have a different taste. That binary opposition is a questionable claim in itself, IME weed on it's own can cause "confused exaggeration" as well as "cosmic clarity" and so can (typical) psychedelics. I think there is no denying the trip-enhancing effect, in that weed can further intensify a trip. Obviously it adds it's own colour to it, which I tend to like very much, but of course your mileage may vary.

1974 - Yikes!

I agree with tokezu.

While I share your vintage, I do not share your point of view: moderate use of both cannabis and lysergics (or shrooms, or phen's), together and separately is great.

when we come down, or at baseline, we seldom remember what it was like, and can easily discount the fact(s) that when stoned on cannabis, CEV's can be marvelous dimensions of diamonds and jewels, and that goes for all the senses as well, including the thoughts we think.

In the end it is not what your drive, but how you drive it that matters. and for me, where I drive to on cannabis and lysergics is the same general cosmic parking lot/drive-in theater, and I like to remember as much as possible what it was like to hang there after my return.

Sadly memory is nothing like video tape.

where did sherman go?

If you look very closely, Sherman isn't paying attention to what he's doing.

Wayback+Machine.jpg