• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Isn't weed a ppycadelic drug

definitely yes
very psychedelic and also kinda like sugar that people love to get more of.

it's complex

Yes, but it's to acid what caffeine is to cocaine, if you know what I mean. You get a taste of the experience, but it's nothing like the harder stuff. That said, if you microdose mushrooms, the effects can be very similar to weed. So in a way, it's like an ultra low dose of a classic psychedelic. Except I personally find it much more dissociating than the classic psychs.

It also becomes way more psychedelic after you do other psychedelics. I've tripped out on weed, like 110ug LSD level visuals, but that's only happened once and it was a few days after doing a lot of acid anyway. When I smoked weed after doing ketamine, it brought my ketamine high right back.

Yes, I regard it as a psychedelic although an atypical one. Especially eaten in larger amounts it can get very trippy.

I don't know about the coffee / cocaine analogy... it would probably apply 90% of the time but imo cannabis is an extremely powerful psychedelic that can get really fucking freaky if you don't control your dosage.

I remember the first time I squashed a gram of really nice soft afghani hash into a bong as a teenager - I was out of my mind for about 4 - 5 hours and had thought I had gone schiz, to the point where I was about to fess up to my folks when it finally (and thankfully) started to dissipate. I was using acid at this point also, and had already had a couple of 'bad trips' but with the cyclical nature of the drugs effect none of them were as scary as the mash up I had with the ganja

^I hear you, I guess I should clarify. Caffeine can get me wired and give me a really nasty crash. I wasn't saying it can't be intense, just that it generally isn't. It's known to be mild but can also be unpredictable. Does that make more sense? I'm pretty stoned.

It made sense the first time MD, and is a good comparison - just pointing out through experience that it's not a hard and fast rule...

I'm pretty stoned.

Nice! Just waiting to go and pick up now but the fucking lazy chemist still hasn't opened (it's 10.40 gmt!) and i need my weekend methadone before I go anywhere. I'm just all fucking snot and dribbles. On a charlie - murphy scale? -1000 at the mo :!

I hate pharmacy hours! Never been on methadone but I know opioid WD and those initial sniffles and chills all too well. *hands you virtual bong*

Cannabis is a very wide acting drug that can tingle most realms of psychoactive delight. I've had very strong psychedelic experiences on edibles.

Sorted, got me green goo and my green gold as well, so cheers for the virtual bong, but I'll wash it and give it back to you now and get an irl on the plume.

It is, but it can also be stimulating, a depressant, dissociative and I am probably not even done with that list.

The reason it's not included in this forum is because it is such a HUGE thing of its own, one of the biggest drugs in the world of course. Also, it may be psychedelic, but it's not a typical one anyway. So it has its own forum on bluelight.

during psychedelic adventures, eg mushrooms,
if you add marijuana
the adventure becomes more intense
as if you had added more of the original psychedelic
the metrics are vague.

Yeah, weed can be pretty psychedelic, especially if you don´t smoke often. The psychedelia dimishes with tolerance.

For me weed is an anxiogenic first and foremost. It can have it's trippy side, but only when eaten in high doses, but again, the anxiety caused keeps me from using it , well almost ever, but I certainly don't while tripping.
That said, if I use cannabis regularly it tends to be anxiolytic instead. Strange stuff.
Weed is more things in one package than any other substance, bar none...IMHO.

I don't really see the connection between cannabis and psychedelics. They're qualitatively very different for me. I've never gotten any significant personal insights on cannabis. To me, it's just a utility for modulating certain physiological parameters like appetite, stress, and sleepiness. Psychedelics, on the other hand, are a tool for self-examination.

I am usually introspective on hashish or shatter,
very spacey and sparkly.
enhanced
occasionally trails
thought loops,
tripping out on a tangent.
I don't think of psychedelics as tools, more like treats, chocolate for the brain.

I definitely consider cannabis to have psychedelic-like qualities, though I would never consider it interchangeable with a serotonergic hallucinogen. These are definitely very different types of drugs on the whole.

As for the personal insights and self-examination, cannabis definitely does this for me. I actually considered it to be better than typical psychedelics for this when my tolerance wasn't so huge, my first few years smoking were actually some of the most personally transformative of my life, my mind was opening up in all kinds of ways it hadn't before. Psychedelics do this for me as well, but they simply could not compare to cannabis in how I was able to incorporate it into every single aspect of my daily life while it did this, it gave me all kinds of perspective that I just don't get from a typical trip, which seems more like a vacation from daily life to me. However, psychedelics are definitely much less limited in this way as far as pushing the dose is concerned, and I also find them to be much more emotionally fulfilling, and this allows for greater insights related to things like empathy. Also, now that I do have such high cannabis tolerance, the psychedelics are able to produce this kind of headspace for me with much more consistency these days.

With regards to the hallucinations, I do find there to be some overlaps as well, but overall I find the significant hallucinogenic experiences I've had with cannabis, mostly brought out through meditation, to be more similar to salvia, and what I've heard about from iboga. Things like floating through dark fantasy worlds or reliving memories from someone else's perspective as a path to emotional release were not uncommon, as opposed to how psychedelics for me are generally more abstract and tend to relate more to seeing some of the background workings of my mind. Both very useful, but very different. Unfortunately, these kinds of experiences on cannabis for me have also largely disappeared with tolerance.

So yeah, I can definitely understand the relationship, but I certainly don't think they should be treated as exactly the same kind of thing.

I really need to go on a tolerance break....

kaleida said:
I really need to go on a tolerance break....

Me too. :\

I think weed can definitely be incredibly powerful and psychedelic. Like you, my tolerance is pretty ridiculous, but I find 3-4 days off resets it to some degree. Two weeks and it gets back to 'normal' effects though this is short-lived (and I quite like pot just being a before bed gentle sedating blanket of sleep things). But I think this is why most users don't consider weed to be very powerful even though most people recount very dramatic and full on first time cannabis experiences. For some reason, weed is used a lot more frequently than we would other trippy drugs, so most users have a tolerance. When you are tolerant, its a very different drug, very mild and relatively devoid of psychedelia, something you can do constantly and anywhere- but I remember my first time and it would have been explicitly clear to anyone who looked at or spoke to me that I was off my face. Unlike many other drugs, I've found tolerance can't really be overcome through smoking, though oral doses are quite effective.

One of the more intense panic attacks I ever experienced came from two semi-large bong hits. I hadn't smoked for around 3 months (this was about 15 years ago iirc) and decided to smoke a bit with my then-GF, and it absolutely terrified me. Thought loops, CEV's, racing thoughts and heartbeat- I became convinced I had loss access to my memory of peoples faces as my GF started to look quite different- and then she began wondering if I was dying or turning into a monster or some stupid nonsense. I will never forget how distant sober reality appeared to me as I realised the very specific damage that this weed had done to my brain. :D Always did make me hyper suggestible and paranoid. Sometimes enjoyable in how stupid that shit could go.

Me too. :\

Thought loops, CEV's, racing thoughts and heartbeat- I became convinced I had loss access to my memory of peoples faces as my GF started to look quite different- and then she began wondering if I was dying or turning into a monster or some stupid nonsense. I will never forget how distant sober reality appeared to me as I realised the very specific damage that this weed had done to my brain...

That exactly describes the bad experience I had as a teenager, the one I referred too in post #6.