• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Is wellbutrim genotoxic or not?

Deioflaje

Greenlighter
I was interested in trying this as the positives sound exactly like what I would be looking for - stim light dopamine push to shift you into action- but I did some reading up on it and it says studies found it to be genotoxic/mutagenic in some tests they did on rats.

I can't find anything conclusive looking online.

Why is it still prescribed if this is the case? doesnt this cause cancer risk?

I believe those studies are related to very high mega doses of Wellbutrin. It is a Rx medicine, well studied and overall safe, but as any Rx med, side effects could be significant. I would recommend Wellbutrin if your doc has prescribed you, but just so you know it could dull the pleasure effects of most party drugs, at least for me it totally dulled the effects of Adderall.

I believe those studies are related to very high mega doses of Wellbutrin.

...and those "very high mega doses" would be infinitely more likely to just give you a seizure, though.

Wellbutrin has been on the market for almost 30 years now, so you can assume the risks are reasonably well-understood at this point.

That said, do not expect a "light dopamine push" from it. Contrary to what you would expect if you just looked at the drug's in-vitro affinities (where it does indeed behave as you would expect from a cathinone, i.e. as a norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor), it is actually virtually devoid of dopaminergic effects when used as intended, i.e. orally. That is because during first pass metabolism, bupropion is rapidly converted to hydroxybupropion, which selectively inhibits the norepinephrine transporter. That is not to say that it cannot be a tremendously effective antidepressant, as NET inhibition alone can also provide a significant boost in energy; it also blocks certain acetylcholine receptor subtypes and decreases the activity of the 5HT3 receptor (a type of serotonin receptor involved in nausea and anxiety), which also seems to contribute to its pharmacological effects.

I read about antipsycotics that taking them can cause brain shrink :(, specially Olanzapine and Haloperidol. But well if Wellbutrin can cause something similar I will definitely stop with it.

Haloperidol and Olanzapine are nothing like bupropion in their mechanism of action though. Those are hardcore antipsychotics used in schizophrenic or otherwise psychotic patients. Haloperidol, in particular, is generally regarded as a "drug of last resort" when other treatments have failed, or the patient is acutely psychotic and needs to be sedated before they hurt themselves and others.

now you know, haha, that Wellbutrin is the culprit. It took me a while to figure that out : ) Just so you know it takes a couple of weeks to get it completely out of your system. Theoratically they say 2weeks, though I'd give it a month before you again start feeling the pleasure out of drugs.

That said, as a anti-depressant it is a novel medicine, considered very good among its competition (effexor, paxil they suck). So dont just stop, if its helping you.

I got it prescribed for depression, I take 300mg/day since more than half year, honestly I don't feel anything special and to be honest I'm not even depressed (I know what is like to be, I've been through that some years ago). I am not noticing any huge side effects. Maybe it dampens mdma and other drugs, in fact my last trips were not so intense, maybe it was bad quality E, or indeed it was the wellbutrin. I don't know to be honest.
I read about antipsycotics that taking them can cause brain shrink :(, specially Olanzapine and Haloperidol. But well if Wellbutrin can cause something similar I will definitely stop with it.
I don't even know why I am still taking it, honestly.