• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is there significant difference in oral v rectal morphine bioavailability?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I always thought that oral BA for morphine was ~30% while rectal BA for morphine was ~60% but looking at articles online there seems to be much less of a difference (some studies saying negligible difference, just faster absorption rate).
My doctor has FINALLY trusted me with morphine to take on top of my Dihydrocodeine (which I do genuinely need, my pain has become unmanageable). I'm only prescribed two 10mg instant release tablets a day and want to make the most of them. Would dissolving them and taking them rectally (via oral syringe) be worth it?

EDIT: I'm a rare case of having absolutely zero constipation issues with opioids. I poop 2-3 times a day.

I poop 2-3 times a day.

Ok, yes, go on… joke aside this seems rather rare.

Concerning ba i think oral vs rectally is rather the same, maybe a bit higher with rectal administration but not much difference is my wild guess.

I actually hardly ever got constipated on opiates either, even doing 1g+ a day. But I always stayed hydrated and ate plenty of fruits and veggies. I'd usually go once a day before my morning shot......at the very least I'd go every other day.

Bupe doesn't even effect me in the least and I know other ppl it really backs them up. So fucking glad I don't have that issue Lol

I always thought that oral BA for morphine was ~30% while rectal BA for morphine was ~60% but looking at articles online there seems to be much less of a difference (some studies saying negligible difference, just faster absorption rate).
My doctor has FINALLY trusted me with morphine to take on top of my Dihydrocodeine (which I do genuinely need, my pain has become unmanageable). I'm only prescribed two 10mg instant release tablets a day and want to make the most of them. Would dissolving them and taking them rectally (via oral syringe) be worth it?

EDIT: I'm a rare case of having absolutely zero constipation issues with opioids. I poop 2-3 times a day.
Wow, there's 10mg morphine tablets? That's literally 3mg in reality lol. What a joke of dose....

He should've put you on 30mgs since u have a high tolerance

He should've put you on 30mgs since u have a high tolerance

Agreed, but I think it's just a starting dose? Especially since he's referring me to the pain clinic as he thinks they can better assess what I need. Plus, it's on top of what I'm already prescribed so it's still *something* additional.

Agreed, but I think it's just a starting dose? Especially since he's referring me to the pain clinic as he thinks they can better assess what I need. Plus, it's on top of what I'm already prescribed so it's still *something* additional.
You need oxycodone 60mg a day tbh.... 3 20s a day u shud be getting.

You need oxycodone 60mg a day tbh.... 3 20s a day u shud be getting.

Couldn't agree more. Sounds about right for my pain levels. I dream of the days when I was on 110mg Oxy a day *sigh*. Before I fucked up, I was prescribed the 40mg OC's twice a day and the 10mg OxyNorms three times a day. Didn't know how good I had it. Should have appreciated what I had and not pushed it. I had no idea what normal doses were, though, and how lucky I was to get anything like that.

Couldn't agree more. Sounds about right for my pain levels. I dream of the days when I was on 110mg Oxy a day *sigh*. Before I fucked up, I was prescribed the 40mg OC's twice a day and the 10mg OxyNorms three times a day. Didn't know how good I had it. Should have appreciated what I had and not pushed it. I had no idea what normal doses were, though, and how lucky I was to get anything like that.
Well, I think the same about my usage lol. At least we have fond memories of those lovely lil pills on those rainy days. 💙💙💙💯💯💯🤍🤍🤍

Yeah a huge difference. Morphine has poor oral bioavailability but very good rectal BA. 50-70% rectal vs 25-30% oral