• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is it safe to microdose iboga for a long time?

Bitchniggaz

Bluelighter
So ive been eating small amounts(1-3g) of iboga root powder a few days a week for awhile now.

So far i havent done any higher doses but its coming.

When on it i feel urges are easily controled and i dont really want to do other drugs or even eat shitty food.

Now i can get a good amount that will last awhile, but can there bw any side effects from basicly using it as an anti depression medicine?

Ibogaine accumulates in the body over time, which may extend its already considerable propensity to potentiate the effects of various drugs.

-----

The risk for dangerous side effects while using ibogaine increases if you have an existing heart disease, or are taking certain anti-arrhythmic, antidepressant, or antipsychotic drugs.

There are some reports of scammers who sell fake or poorly sourced ibogaine, or who run fake ibogaine retreats. Whether you’re buying ibogaine or attending a retreat, do some research
into your source before trying the substance. Most reports say that their experience was simply ineffective or overpriced, but it's possible that a seller can give you some other dangerous substance instead of ibogaine. Be very careful to make sure your source is reputable.

-Eden Loi

-----

Ibogaine and noribogaine have very strong affinities for many receptor sites, and because of this, they can have strong interactions with many drugs. It would be ill advised to use iboga in
any dose while using other drugs (over the counter and prescription medications included) unless you know with certainty they will not have an interaction with iboga alkaloids.

-Infinitys Minute

-----

Ibogaine has dangerous interactions with other drugs, especially opiates, which have killed people undergoing ibogaine therapy. Ibogaine clinics now screen out a lot of potential candidates. There appears to be some mechanism where it can cause heart arrhythmia and death. The pharmacology of ibogaine and the noribogaine metabolite is extremely dirty and complex.

-vector

-----

Ibogaine shouldn't be taken with SSRI or MAIO medications that are usually prescribed to treat addiction. If you're taking any medications for depression, Ibogaine can be dangerous. If you
are thinking about taking Ibogaine to help with depression, and you are already taking a prescription medicine, it’s important to talk to your treatment provider for more information.

-CTC

Last edited:
Iboga accumulates in the body. It remains in the body for more than 4 weeks. This means that all the drops you take within 5 weeks will accumulate and remain in the body until they slowly wear off. So, if your dose exceeds ten drops a day, physical and psychological effects, and perhaps even disorientation and ‘trippy’ effects can occur. Be aware of that some people respond highly sensitively to a few drops only. It is important to pay close attention to your body at all times and adjust your dosage accordingly. Do not take the iboga tincture before going to sleep. The plant gives you energy and might cause insomnia.

During the period you treat yourself with iboga, it is advised not to use any drugs and to keep stimulants such as coffee to a minimum, as well as smoking tobacco or certain herbs. Your receptors will become very sensitive and you may have an unexpectedly strong reaction to them. Also, it is strongly discouraged to combine the healing of iboga with ayahuasca or other visionary or hallucinogenic substances. Lastly, iboga should never be combined with anti-depressant medication such as SSRI's, such a combination would be very dangerous.

-DMT Nexus

-----

Ibogaine can affect heart rhythms, prolonging the QT interval, but non compatible heart conditions can be easily screened for via ECG to ascertain whether using iboga will be an issue or not. I think this potential risk has only ever been noted at flood dose levels as oppose to microdosing, but over time the alkaloids do build up in the system, which is worth bearing in mind. So I doubt intermittent microdosing will be a problem, but I can't say this with certainty. Except for this heart issue it does sound like iboga microdosing could be an ally.

-Bancopuma

-----

It’s important to note that Ibogaine should not be taken with SSRI or MAIO medications that are usually prescribed to treat addiction. If you are taking any medications for depression, Ibogaine can actually be dangerous. If you’re thinking about taking Ibogaine to help with depression or other mood disorders and you’re already taking a prescription, it’s important to talk to your treatment provider for more information.

-CTC

Last edited:
Happy bloody days as I am so glad someone started this as it is something I needed to discuss but also provide my bit of advice.

firstly, greeting Mr Peabody as I recall reading your great posts before (was it here, or Nexus or Eboka or Erdowyn ?

So here is my quick story. Took 3G precipitated TA flood over 8 hrs with experienced provider for mildish opiate use. Fck all visions or dreams or introspection possibly due to drawn out affair and hypertension half way through. But , opiate and w/D free the next day. That was six weeks ago. Little or no urge and clean . Great afterglow but now wearing off. So, I have begun Microdosing with 500 mg of root bark ( split am and pm on empty stomach). Intention is to do 5 days on, 2 days off for a month. Then nothing for 2 weeks and start again. It is going ok but still not the same afterglow as before. However, I did learn something important which is interaction with other supplements and interaction with CYP2D6 enzyme. This is the enzyme in liver that turns Ibogaine into nirobogaine metabolite BUT I was also taking Bupropion to get some stimulant NDrI effect for tiredness. Then I realised this inhibits the same enzyme and hence reduces impact so now I have stopped.

Bitchniggaz (surprised they kept you gave that avatar ;) other bits of advice . You really need to be ultra careful with the build up of nirobogain in your system if your doing 2-3g of root a day, several times a week. That's like a flood after 7-8days, as it can be overwhelming and dangerous. Excess can impact QT heart intervals and cause heart arythymia and need medical attention. Ensure you're not on any other a/d including natural ones as well as opiate need even over counter.
Ps. Why are you doing Iboga? Opiate use?
Take for now
Birdy

Happy bloody days as I am so glad someone started this as it is something I needed to discuss but also provide my bit of advice.

Yeah, I was excited when I saw this thread, too. Special thanks to OP!

firstly, greeting Mr Peabody as I recall reading your great posts before (was it here, or Nexus or Eboka or Erdowyn ?

Thanks, BNN! You've probably seen me here on BL.

So here is my quick story. Took 3G precipitated TA flood over 8 hrs with experienced provider for mildish opiate use. Fck all visions or dreams or introspection possibly due to drawn out affair and hypertension half way through. But , opiate and w/D free the next day. That was six weeks ago. Little or no urge and clean.

Congratulations and best wishes! Traveling great distances for Ibogaine treatment is out of reach for so many people—the reason for this burning question I have right now, concerning the efficacy of daily low dosing. I don't have any personal experience, but I ran across some reports recently that really intrigued me :

- Last month, dozens of ibogaine researchers, activists and treatment providers gathered for a conference in Barcelona, Spain. Dr Kenneth Alper was among the attendees who gave presentations on the benefits of ibogaine to the Catalan Ministry of Health. The NYU professor believes that ibogaine's most likely path to prominence in the United States will be as a medication for meth addiction, for the simple reason that doctors and treatment providers have found that small daily doses seem to work better for meth addiction than the mind-blowing "flood doses" used on opiate addicts.

- Ibogaine has also been given in small daily doses of 25 mg to 300 mgs/day where the dose is increased until the desired interruption of drug dependence is accomplished. These low dose modalities can be traced back to the work of Leo Zeff, who provided ibogaine on an "as needed" basis to a cocaine dependent patient to substitute for his cocaine use.

You really need to be ultra careful with the build up of nirobogain in your system if your doing 2-3g of root a day, several times a week. That's like a flood after 7-8 days, as it can be overwhelming and dangerous. Excess can impact QT heart intervals and cause heart arythymia and need medical attention. Ensure you're not on any other a/d including natural ones as well as opiate need even over counter.

1. Sorry, a/d meaning antidepressant?

2. Do you reckon daily low dosing ibogaine can be an effective self-treatment for opiate/opioid addiction? What daily low dose is enough to SAFELY arrest addiction, and how long would that take? I totally get that one needs to be as clean as possible of any/all other drugs before attempting this.

Great to have you with us, BNN!

Last edited:
I've been considering doing this lately. Did a flood over 4 years ago which changed my life and got me off opiates. Still off opiates and there's no way I'll ever go back there, however some of the other benefits (lack of desire for other drugs, drive to eat well and exercise) have been fading for a while.

I loved my flood dose, it was incredible, and I'd love to feel some of that iboga feeling again.

Xorkoth and Mr PB, so here is my understanding and experience regarding MD. You basically have the following 4 options

1. Ibogaine Hcl...would need to be a minute amount (10 -12 mg) daily over limited time span. But would be v difficult to calibrate and Hcl is expensive and you will not get full spectrum of other amazing alcaloids .

2. Tincture of TA 1:50. Very convenient but also can easily build up quickly and you can take too much ( an extra hard squeeze on the press is all it takes) and become overwhelming Especially if not done any form of Ibogaine / Iboga recently

3. Iboga TA powder : good and has full spectrum but again needs to be treated with caution since its effectively half to 3rd strength of Ibogaine Hcl ( effectively meaning lower concentration of Ibogaine but also other alkaloids)

4. Root bark powder - safest and most natural form. Least difficult to over do. Needs patience of a few days and much respect ( take this seriously) before it starts to be noticed, namely pleasant euphoric afterglow thanks mainly to impact on seretonin receptor. But, Also reduces other urges including nicotine. 5 days on ( 2 x 250 mg ), 2 days off. One month, one month off. This can be supplemented by a single TA powder dose of say 500mg once a month at a weekend when not working or commitment the next day or two.

Important note : The above is ONLY if you're off any type of opiates / ADs / other drugs / and you've done some form of treatment before and looking for a booster or to regain magic post flood feelings, even after a few years . I learnt this from 2 different qualified providers after a lot of research.

I am not advising or recommending but shedding my experience and "advice " from qualified sources.

Mr PB, in my honest opinion, I don't think MD over a a few weeks will be any good for opiate addiction even if you're clean because firstly the m'f'cking w/d in the first place is too difficult to bear and you may relapse doing both opiate / Opiode. You also want to feel virtually 100% w/d free and be buzzing off your afterglow to then Really enjoy the experience , new Reset You and To then instill new behaviours and habits.

Mate, I've been there.if opiates are ruling your life, even controlling it, and have been for many years, then a week off, and few thousand dollars on a clinic is the best investment you'll be making in yourself ....but the Intention and will (not need but want) before hand, 2 weeks mental prep and reduction to short acting Opiode is essential as well as clean, healthy environment away from any urges.....literally, destroy anything related to your habit including phone numbers and avoid places or tasks or triggers associated with habit ( even certain music ).

take care guys

^^
Thank you for this wonderful post. Information like this is so incredibly valuable right now. I/we are truly grateful.

Great thread. I don't struggle with opiate or substance addiction, but I can offer my two cents, here as someone with other problems (food addiction, internet addiction, and some health problems).

I microdosed iboga rootbark every day (with two day-long breaks) for 4 months straight. Wow. What a trip.

About 1 month in, I swear I felt the structure of my face changing.

About 2 months in, every night I saw tracers, even if I just took a teensy bit of rootbark. No visuals during the day. Only at night.

Make the most of this time!!! The relationships you form and the ideas you get while you are microdosing are just as valuable as those you get in a big flood. It is important to take heed. You'll be very sensitive to substances, too.

A life-changing experience. It pointed me in the right spiritual direction, I think.

Thanks for all the replies, i aborted the microdose experiment since i started feeling a bit out there and heavy in my legs.
I did however feel a improvement in urges to take drugs/crappy foods etc.

I cant say i have a heavy addiction problem, but im still taking stuff more often then i would like.
I mostly smoke cannabis almost daily,and I use kratom and ketamine a few times per month.

But mostly its a emotionall issue, i feel very much pressure to improve myself and become something in life.

I train alot and live generally healthy, but no matter how good i do i have this voice in my head that tells me i suck and im useless.
Most of my friends are inspired by my discipline and lack of self pity.
But for some reason im never good enough in my own mind.
I compare myself to high level people and its mentally very draining.

Ive done a shitton of psychedelics the past 10years, its def helped me to deal with alot of issues.

^^
What if weed's the problem? I walked away from it after it absolutely wrecked my life, and it's been clear sailing for me ever since. Funny thing is you don't see what it's doing to you until you've been clean for a month. It actually does take that long to regain perfect clarity.

Can't thank you enough for this great thread. You're obviously one of those "high level people" already. Just break on through, man.

Last edited:
BitchN, should have said thanks to you for starting the thread. Depending on strength of weed, deco that can be a problem . People with emotional and anxiety issues are more predisposed to psychosis if they take weed, esp sting.

rhythmS, thanks for that info. 3 question please:

1. How much root bark did you take everyday?
2. How did it affect unique ability to do everyday things like day office job, driving, working out etc...
3. After how I got after you stopped did you stop tripping / see tracers .

thanks

About 2 months in, every night I saw tracers, even if I just took a teensy bit of rootbark. No visuals during the day. Only at night.

Yeah ibogaine has much stronger effects at night for some reason. When I did my flood dose, during the day I would just have slight tracers but at night shit got crazy, I was seeing a lot of very profound visual effects. For a week afterwards, at night I would have tracers and other lingering (and interesting!) visual artifacts from the trip, and during the day my vision was normal.

Also I was absurdly sensitive to other substances. During the somewhat messy few days after the main flood but before the experience resolved, I was feeling really bad for a bit and I smoked 7mg of DMT and had a powerful experience totally unlike any other DMT experience I've had, it was overwhelmingly intense and fundamentally different in character.

BitchN, should have said thanks to you for starting the thread. Depending on strength of weed, deco that can be a problem . People with emotional and anxiety issues are more predisposed to psychosis if they take weed, esp sting.

2. How did it affect unique ability to do everyday things like day office job, driving, working out etc...

thanks

1. I didn't measure. I had root bark chips (dried) and took one maybe every 6 hours, and usually first thing upon waking. My approach to it was very intuitive. If I had to guess, maybe 100-500mg rootbark a day. I started out very small, though.

2. Hah, well, fortunately I don't have a day office job, or any job for that matter, as I'm on disability. I could drive, and though I would sometimes see tracers at night while driving, it wouldn't affect my ability. Social interactions were fine. Rather than impairing or enhancing my social interactions, I believe that it just connected me with the right people for me.

3. I stopped seeing tracers basically immediately after I stopped taking iboga. (If I'm understanding your question correctly)

So...going back to the original quantising of the title . . Is it MS safe and for how long?
My experience so far:
For last 3 weeks , I have been MD on circa 600mg of root bark powder (300mg empty stomach first thing) and 200 mg to 300mg in afternoon. 5 days on, 2 days off.
Intention is to repeat this for next month, then 2 weeks off ( observe difference) and repeat.
So far, only difference is feeling happier and chirpier during the day , more energetic, more enthusiasm . However, I am having to drink coffee a (5-7 cups) especially as I begin to feel tired by 5 -6 pm . I also like alcohol in moderate amounts in evening .

Sleep is excellent, but currently trying out new diets and meditation practices to enhance life and increase energy.

The CYP2d6 enzyme in liver that metabolises Iboga to nirobogaine , Abd its interaction with other drugs and supplements is critical since some drugs ( zyban / bupropion) can block its metabolism so you'll have Iboga little or no Nirobogaine getting stored in fat cells and providing sustained release afterglow.

thanks

Yes, you are def right about the weed.
I use it on and off, and when im off or use it less i feel alot better.

I have my reasons for doing it though, i suffered a serious back injury a few years ago that destroyed my life.
Its taken about 5years of hard work to get out of insane pain.

During this time ive fell into alot of financial debt since working has been impossible.
That is also why i sometimes indulge in these drugs.
Im better now and slowly paying off the loans i have.

The psychological trauma is still very real though and it will take time to accept what ive lost.

I suspect my iboga is not so potent, ive taken upp to 5grams with only slight tracers and some physical heavyness.
My friend brought a bunch with him from Ghana, so i can basicly get as much as i want.

I would like to try around 10g next, maybe with some mushrooms since ive heard they work well together.

Yes, you are def right about the weed.
I use it on and off, and when im off or use it less i feel alot better.

I have my reasons for doing it though, i suffered a serious back injury a few years ago that destroyed my life.
Its taken about 5years of hard work to get out of insane pain.

During this time ive fell into alot of financial debt since working has been impossible.
That is also why i sometimes indulge in these drugs.
Im better now and slowly paying off the loans i have.

The psychological trauma is still very real though and it will take time to accept what ive lost.

I suspect my iboga is not so potent, ive taken upp to 5grams with only slight tracers and some physical heavyness.
My friend brought a bunch with him from Ghana, so i can basicly get as much as i want.

I would like to try around 10g next, maybe with some mushrooms since ive heard they work well together.

bn, seriously , that is f'cking big mistake taking it with mushrooms or in fact anything else. I am not talking mumbo m'f'cking jumbo but if you mistreat it, or take it without serious prep , you could end up in A&E if you're lucky to just dead if you're unlucky. 10 g is what is given in Bwiti ceremony over 12 hrs with weeks of mental and physical preparation and people still have bad trips. You could get life threatening hypertension too. People also overdose on opiates after Iboga flood as it reduces their tolerance massively.

Seems somehow you're using a very weak variety but the next lot may be more potent.

Best of luck.

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted anything on BL for a very long time and now feel the need as this thread has ignited the fuel to do so.

Ok thanks to the OP for creating the thread and everyone who has contributed. Firstly I was a Heroin addict over 20 years ago and successfully weaned off using Methadone and then Dihydrocodiene. I was young and full of hope for the future and went from chasing the dragon in dark,dingy and seedy environments to meeting my first love and emigrating to her native Finland with her and lived and experienced a wonderful time.

Fast forward 20 years. My relationship failed and all the others that came after. I continued to dabble with drugs,no opiates but many research chemicals that were quite frankly dangerous. I partied hard,drank hard and basically had a very hedonistic lifestyle. I had a beautiful little boy along the way,but again failed with the relationship to his mother.

Then my mother got cancer and I tried to look after her with my Dad,but spiralled back into opiates as a get out from all the pain and hurt that I was suffering and the suffering I'd caused. The doctor put me on Buprenorphine this time and now 7 years later I've only just stopped it with the help of Kratom. During my time on Buprenorphine my Dad got cancer too and I looked after him until he died this time last year. The grief was terrible and I became severely depressed and went to a shamanic practitioner for healing where I was given bufo and immediately my energy shifted from being suicidally depressed to grateful for my life.

I worked my way down to.1mg buprenorphine and jumped to 20+ grams of kratom a day, at first I could feel the opiate feeling from kratom and chased it,so I got myself some Ibogaine hcl to finish this destructive and addictive behaviour once and for all.

Sorry this is so long but feel it was needed. I don't want a flood dose as I'm on my own and can't have too much time off of work. The provider of the medicine gave me a protocol to follow. On the first weekend stop the kratom,then take 200mg Saturday and Sunday,then drop to 25mg a day and see how I feel,if it becomes too much stop for a few days then continue.

I've been given a clean bill of health. What do you all think of the protocol? All advice is welcome,especially to those who have experience.

Blessings
Phoenix

I have microdosed Iboga TA extract a couple of times - although, thinking about it now, it was only the one time that I was consistent with it, abstained from other substances throughout, and had clear good results retrospectively. Supposedly was about 50% Ibogaine HCl but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little less than that. Generally I had very good results shaking off a substance induced, or, rather, lack-of-substance induced depression following getting frustrated at the up down cycle of using armodafinil, phenibut, tianeptine, I think kratom occasionally and a bunch of other noots and fairly mild stuff if I'm honest just to remain productive, alert, and somewhat functional. It's not heroin obviously but regardless I found that I just had far less desire to use these substances, ended up quitting them entirely for, I think about a month, and in that time took up a regular exercise schedule, cleaned up my diet, and just felt very positive about life.

I was basically trying to push the envelope a little - actually, to be perfectly honest, initially I was hoping for some acute nootropic effects that I would feel right away as I have read some people experience, however I did not, in fact I felt a bit listless, unfocused, and brain foggy, but this was not too far off my baseline at the time. As I say though I tried to ramp up the dose basically until I could feel the effects getting a little uncomfortable, so I think I dosed something like, 20mg day 1, 40mg day 2, 60mg day 3, 80mg day 4, then maybe 100mg day 5? Or maybe I stuck at 80mg... either way it was a fairly short "cycle" of low ibogaine doses, and while I was on it, honestly, I did not feel all that great but as I say my baseline was pretty lousy at the time. Almost unconsciously I started to feel a lot better though and I remember writing privately about how much more emotionally stable I was feeling.

After about a month I actually resumed using a few of these substances in order to be more productive with work as well as my exercise routine which retrospectively was what got me into trouble in the first place. I used much lower doses this time, they affected me a lot more, in retrospect, but generally things remained good, or a lot better. In retrospect, thinking about it now, this is what got me into trouble in the first place, prioritising these things over my own wellbeing in some sense, so it's probably not surprising that the benefits began to fade. I started using ketamine occasionally again around this time, after maybe 3 or 4 months of generally good feelings and good habits, which was the icing on the cake as far as wiping out any residual noribogaine afterglow.

A lot of this is retrospective and I didn't really realise the obvious correlations with my psychological state and the substances I was imbibing while they were happening but it's fairly painfully clear to look back on. I am fairly washed out from any other substances right now though so I am considering having another go very soon.

More specifically on topic regarding safety, I don't know much about any long term effects as I only ever tried a consistent microdosing regimen - following a period of abstinence from the substances I was trying to avoid, not just during periods of heavier use and the briefest of abstinences, hoping for a quick fix, as I might have tried since, so this seems to be important - once, and for a short time, but I did find that beyond a certain dose I would get uncomfortable respiratory side effects, as in my nose would feel blocked up and my eyes would get very bloodshot, such that I would not feel comfortable going about in the world like this. I think this happened around the 40mg range, I posted a thread about it before but I forget. I don't know if I'm slightly allergic to the root bark or ibogaine itself or what, or if this effect is usually just overlooked because of the apparently strong physical load of a flood dose, which is the more commonly discussed type of usage...