• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Is it REALLY that bad to mix suboxone and benzos?

I'm prescribed 2 8mg films per day, though I only take 2-4mg's a day. But my sub doc also prescribes me 2.5mg's Xanax a day as well as 30mg's temazepam a night. No troubles.

Anything is possible.

Opioids + Benzo's is just reckless. You're literally asking for death if you combine the two. Especially in high dosages.

There is no way to say one shot or one codeine pill will be a lethal combination with a high dose of benzos. First off, what exactly is considered a high dose? That is completely subjective. To me 4 mg of Xanax is a pretty high dose, I doubt you drink one beer on that and drop dead.

That sounds like a PAA warning of the risk of combining the 2, lets be serious.

ive done this many times with no ill effects... but I DO wait at least an hour after benzo to take any opiates.. they both can compress breathing and that can be a volitile combo

Man if 8mg is a "moderate" dose of bupe, you need a new doctor. There is no reason to take bupe more than 5 to 6 days. Day 1 4mg, Day 2 2 mg, Day 3 1mg and so on. 4 years of 5 to 6 dips (I hate that term, but I refuse to use better real slang here) and every time need a break that plan worked. Pain doctors are crooks. I'm telling you. Swim was using up to two buns a day and still never needed 8mg at once, but heard of people saying they needed 16mg. Listen, you don't need to be high to be off sick. But up to you. 5 days of wds or a month.

Take a low dose of benzo with suboxone in a warm bath! Eat protein! You wont die!!

8 is extreme, unless coming off smack cold turkey!

Actually if you take subs everyday, withdrawals are not normal!

Drink water, eat vitamins, walk, and start cutting subs into slivers at your pace!
do not double dip and take opiods with subs or your wasting your and your loved ones time!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, there?s is no danger from taking subs and benzos at all. That?s all the media hype. From my understanding this has been only ONE documented overdose with subs and benzos and alcohol played a major role. My first doctor had my on 90 8mg subs, 90 2mg Xanax, 60 2mg Klonopin and Ritalin. I stoped seeing him because I was shooting up the Ritalin and would blow through my benzos and didn?t have will power not to ask for Ritalin.

Since all the media hype they made it hard for drs to prescribe both subs and benzos but now my pain dr prescribes me 60 8mg subs and my psychiatrist had me on 90 2mg Xanax which I just switch to 90 2mg Klonopin, he wouldn?t do both, because of the short life of Xanax and they both are in communication with each other. I?ve been on this for years as well as dozens I know. It?s absolutely safe.

^
A study published in March 2012 in the European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology discovered that benzodiazepines were involved in many deaths associated with Suboxone.
A French case series reported details of six overdose deaths related to concomitant use of buprenorphine and benzodiazepines (Reynaud et al., 1998a)

In Finland, where buprenorphine is the primary opioid of abuse (Yokell et al., 2011), a retrospective analysis of opioid-associated deaths recorded in the national postmortem toxicology database found 182 had buprenorphine poisoning as the cause of death; where a benzodiazepine was found in all but one case, and were present in 82% of cases, (Hakkinen et al., 2012)

The median concentrations of buprenorphine and benzodiazepines in these poisonings were in the therapeutic range (Hakkinen et al., 2012)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3916951/

So yes, there is a danger.

It?s absolutely safe.

While it might be relatively safe for people with a tolerance, opioid naive people might even OD on just buprenorphine (especially people with Asthma or COPD have a higher risk), add a benzo and the risks of respiratory depression increase exponentially.

As you can clearly see, the study is done with solely bupe, not suboxone and even more clear the dangers come into play when the patients are ABUSING their benzo medication.

That’s exactly why a throughou examination and honesty should be present when working with your doctors.

As you can clearly see, the study is done with solely bupe,

The addition of naloxone does not affect the efficacy of buprenorphine for two reasons: (1) naloxone is poorly absorbed sublingually relative to buprenorphine and (2) the half-life for buprenorphine is much longer than for naloxone (32 vs. 1 h for naloxone).The plasma levels for naloxone are much lower and decline much more rapidly than those for buprenorphine.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12738349/?i=5&from=/10462093/related

Whether it was done with Subutex or Suboxone seems somewhat irrelevant since the Naloxone is absorbed in sub active levels and for such a short period of time. I really don't think the phrase" It's absolutely safe" applies nor is appropriate on a HR site.

As you can clearly see, the study is done with solely bupe, not suboxone and even more clear the dangers come into play when the patients are ABUSING their benzo medication.

As Jekyl said, the naloxone normally doesn't do anything due to high first pass metabolism.
While you might be right that it's not dangerous if people use it per doctors order saying something as absolute as
it's absolutely safe
is just plain wrong and dangerous. Of course people will abuse those drugs.

The respiratory depression induced by buprenorphine is not very profound, but it certainly does cause respiratory depression (although it reaches an asymptote/ceiling). There are some dangers associated with mixing benzos and buprenorphine, but far less than most other potent opioids, and its almost entirely dose dependent. Few people have actually died from the combination, and it is far more likely to die from mendelsons (asphyxiation on your vomit) than to seccumb to true respiratory depression in this specific case (but yes, death = death).

Work your way up from .5mg to see how truly additive the effects are....

Word.!!!

I'd always been taught at paramedic school that buprenorphine (subutex, temgesic) and nalbuphine (nubain) had respiratory depression ceilings beyond which additional doses did not significantly increase respiratory depression.. Of course even with a ceiling, there is still respiratory depression present and if other CNS depressing agents such as benzos and alcohol are combined with the bupe, death due to respiratory depression is still a possibility... If for example a child swallowed a load of bupe and valium..

We've all heard the news articles of how deadly benzos and opaites are in combination. Its safe to assume there is a risk. But for myself personally, it posed no discernible risk. I mixed 2mg bars with large doses of heroin, oxy, methadone and subs, and had no remarkable chest/breathing depression or pulse drop. Im probably just an idiot though, so that is by no means me saying doing that is safe.

With Suboxone specifically, I dont think its much of a risk, depending on your tolerance. If your taking Buprenorphine recreationally and have a small/no tolerance; be weary. That stuff can really wreck you, and can depress your respiration considerably which is the main hazard. But if your an opiate user and your body is acclimated to them, I doubt OD is a risk.