• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Is it possible to get off suboxone using a short acting opioid?

You can taper sub to a point of hardly any wd, maybe some lack of energy and trouble sleeping for a week or 2, really think about this Jenn, I’m sorry but if your mindset is your gonna CT off morphine your fooling yourself
This is very true. I had a friend who could not kick heroin (1990's) at all. He really was a big baby, could not take any withdrawal. Got on methadone. Went very slow getting off. Took months. From 70 mgs down to 1 mg- 3 weeks. .5 mgs 3 weeks. .25 mgs 3 weeks. He claimed he got off pain free when he fully stopped. For him to say that makes me think slow and steady is the best way to do this.

This is very true. I had a friend who could not kick heroin (1990's) at all. He really was a big baby, could not take any withdrawal. Got on methadone. Went very slow getting off. Took months. From 70 mgs down to 1 mg- 3 weeks. .5 mgs 3 weeks. .25 mgs 3 weeks. He claimed he got off pain free when he fully stopped. For him to say that makes me think slow and steady is the best way to do this.
Last time i jumped off methadone at 1mg. 2 weeks of no sleep i 1/2 went crazy. Mentally i can't do with the anxiety for weeks

I really hope more people chime in on her choice to hop on the merry go round….

I don't get why you're trying to keep me on a drug that increases my anxiety and will give me 2 weeks of hell.

Outside the usa doctors have used this method to get people off long acting, subs included.

I have hydromorph so could have tried it myself but i'm going with what the doctor thinks best.

Just cause some can taper meth/subs and feel nothing do not mean that's everyone's experience. I have an anxiety problem and MS so for the 5th time no i can not do 2 weeks of no sleep and intense pain

I don't get why you're trying to keep me on a drug that increases my anxiety and will give me 2 weeks of hell.
Cause Iv been where you are dozens of times, making the same rationalizations and ultimately ending up back on a long acting…I think it’s unfair to say you can make it off a sub taper without even trying to get down to atleast .25, jumping of f1mg will be hell of course

I want off everything more then anything, mentally i just can't do 2-4 weeks of wd's. I have high anxiety already. I'm really hoping this works because i'd imagine jumping at 5mg of morphine will be better then 0.5 of subs
There's also withdrawal in stages (sloooowww taper) under medical supervision, which gives your brain and any other bodily mechanisms an easier time to adjust. Not everyone sadly can access this, but if it's an option for you, I would highly recommend.

When it’s time to jump off the morphine your gonna start telling yourself “I can’t do a week of hell, it would be easier to get on subs and taper down then use kratom for the jump and have a couple weeks of feeling tired”

I appreciate you guy's advice/concern but i'm trying it this way. Since i started subs my anxiety is worse, get insomnia more often, it almost feels like poison in my system and i'd never touch methadone again so in a bit of a pickle. I took Talwin years ago for a surgery and after 2 days had to be switched because of panic attacks. My mind don't seem to like partial opioids.
I'm hoping this will work and i will be tapering slow. Things in my life are starting to look better so i want to give it my 100% .
In Canada you can use it for maintenance worst case scenario but there never been a time in my drug career that i hated drugs this much. I have bottles of hydromorph i haven't even thought about. That shows me something cause i did love that drug.
I started hard drug's in my 30's, had a great career but then life happened. I've spent 15 years punishing myself for my late husbands suicide and i just want to close that chapter and move on.
I can taper down to 1mg so hopefully little to no bad wd's. I'll always go back to my doctor if i feel bad or slow the taper because when mom was passing i made a promise i would never touch fentanyl again.

Jennn I am rooting for you and you have been very inspirational for a person like me on the other side. I have never hated drugs this much….. especially the fent. Keep up the hard work. Life is crazy but we still have the opportunity to see the beauty again. Man life has been so awesome to me but recently …. Chapters and progress. Love yourself and others.

I wouldn't recommend this, but a friend of mine had a BIG H habit. He got a box of loperamide & scored 100 x 10mg diazepam. He necked the whole box of loperamide, then the diazepam and went to bed, He was asleep for 7 days almost solid. We would wake him once a day to make him drink some water... and he just fell asleep again.

Some clinics do similar ,put u in a benzodiazepine zombie state for a week.

I think the main thing about slow acting drugs is as much mental as it is physical. The more we go thru the motions of addiction ,even if it's just taking a pill every four hours the more we think about the drug ,the more we clock watch etc. Sound familiar to anyone? The less often we have to do it the less we focus on it which is ultimately the reason for relapse.

Regardless how quick ure body processes any drug ull have the same issue with all types of opioids. If most ppl need four hours ull need every three etc.

I personally don't find coming off either much different. I think the main thing is the amount and the length of time and how often uve been thru it before. Any taper should be done slowly. Like really slowly to give a chance of success. The brains chemistry can take months of years to return to normal.

u can reduce subs till your getting to half a half etc and taper each over months till your comfortable.

If the method u choose works for u then of course best of luck and keep us posted.I

Gl

I couldn't cope with buprenorphine. The anxiety was just impossible to cope with. I even went to the doctor and a nurse took my BP and BPM. I don't know the former beyond 'way too high' but the latter was over 150.

I discovered that for me, 2mg/day was enough so I was cutting 8mg wafers into quarters. After 9 days I just stopped. No WD, no cravings, no depression - but 1 person isn't of statistical value,

Other have mentioned anxiety. Is it a known issue?

I meant to mention that KW Bentley and his team (discovered etorphine, diprenorphine & buprenorphine) stated their experiments showed buprenorphine of value in opioid detoxification. They didn't suggest it's use for 'parking' people on the stuff. In the UK so many people are just parked on methadone. Just given the same dose for years. Someone mentioned that duration of use is a key factor but how many people are being left on methadone or buprenorphine for years which suggests it's just making things worse,

@phall I'm doing good thanks, I'm at 70 mg now and going down 10mg this week. The first 20mg drop I felt a little sweaty for a day but nothing serious.

But I'm slowing it , dropping 10mg a week.
I'm hoping to be done before Christmas but not rushing it

I actually did a sr morphine taper. I don't recall exact figure but it was over 500+ at start. Go did it ten each week. I found it really easy till I got to like 180 then it got harder and harder.
The point being the lower end needs the slower reductions. My gp didn't do this and by the time he was down to scripting 50+ I was taking 200 again.
He eventually went to zero regardless of my complaints and here I am years later with all sorts of issues.

Sounds like u doing well. Slow towards the end is my advice let the brain recover😇😇

I'm down to 20mg and surprised I haven't felt sick. I want to be off everything so hopefully my stubbornness is helping.

I'm only going to drop 5mg tomorrow but being through withdrawal from methadone pills and fentanyl I don't think this one will be that bad.

I'm down to 20mg and surprised I haven't felt sick. I want to be off everything so hopefully my stubbornness is helping.

I'm only going to drop 5mg tomorrow but being through withdrawal from methadone pills and fentanyl I don't think this one will be that bad.
What was your original dose of Suboxone at? I’m on subs too and In Canada too 🙂 Hope you’re doing well with the taper

What was your original dose of Suboxone at? I’m on subs too and In Canada too 🙂 Hope you’re doing well with the taper
Hello fellow Canuck and thank you, i was at 4mg. I'm doing better then i thought i would. I'm now at 10mg of morphine and other then a bit of tiredness and not much of an appetite but overall no cravings or sick. I'm going down to 5mg tomorrow and just stopping after that.

Hello fellow Canuck and thank you, i was at 4mg. I'm doing better then i thought i would. I'm now at 10mg of morphine and other then a bit of tiredness and not much of an appetite but overall no cravings or sick. I'm going down to 5mg tomorrow and just stopping after that.
Hello 😊 oh snap, good for you. Do you feel the full effects of the morphine? I weaned myself from the subs a few weeks ago and did some oxycodone but I didn’t feel shit from them lol. I feel like subs have screwed up all my receptors lol