Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is it possible to feel no effect at all with psychedelics

explorer0153

Greenlighter
Hello,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to feel almost absolutely no effects of psychedelics, including marijuana. Sorry if the question is something you can google, however, I would like to know from more experienced and thus asks directly. The thing is,I know three people who are almost not affected by psychedelics at all. One of them only tried to smoke weed 10+ times, and felt absolutely nothing. The other tried smoking, vaping, edibles with marijuana, and no effect was felt either. And the third one, most interesting case, tried smoking weed 20+ times, with no effect. That person also tried mushrooms, as he have said it might have been above 5g, well, above 3.5g for sure. And he felt like being very drunk all the time, thus went to sleep earlier. However, no other psychedelic effects were noticed. The same person has tried acid once, a common dosage I reckon, and apart from expanded pupils has not felt any other effects.

The first two people do not take any medication and do not have any mental ilnesses diagnosed. The third one (with shrooms and acid) has been twice diagnosed with depression and consumes Bromazepame (started recently), Quetiapine, and another substance of which swim forgot, but it was certainly not the SSRIs. The marijuana did not affect the person in any way even before depression episodes and the starting of medication.

Therefore, the question is, is it possible for certain people to not feel psychedelic effects almost at all, and why is it so (how is it related to the brain, to the neurotransmitters or something like that, ex. increased serotonin amounts (I am not very knowledgeable in this topic). And I am not talking about people with ex. schizophrenia or people on SSRIs medication.

Hello and welcome to Bluelight! :)

A lot of people have very strong clinging ego and want to constantly be in control - in my observation, these kind of people might and most likely will block effects of most psychedelics in lower dosages. I'm sure high enough dose will break it but I seriously doubt it will be enjoyable for them and most likely will turn into a "bad trip". Then there are also expectation and self-delusion involved there. Some people feel weird childish pride when they say that even 5g of mushrooms to them feels like booze.

Besides conscious blockage of effects, there of course will be an interaction with daily prescription meds and of course, the personal chemistry plays the biggest role. Thats why most people eventually "settle" on their favorite type of drugs - because they will trigger the response most critical to that person and a lot of people are not suited for psychedelics as I observe.

Psychedelics heavily depend on the mind contents so if nothing fun is experienced after taking a confirmed psychoactive substance in a proper dose, I'd say go traveling, enrich the mind with new perspectives on life!
You can even make your mind trip with no drugs at all, with just plain introspection and attention correction, even see the trippy colors (lots of them are just artifacts due to our eyes lens effect)! ;)

Hey, Volsam, thank you for the informative and friendly response :) It gave me a wider perspective of the issue, with more angles to be reviewed. I did never really give a thought about the conscious blockage of effects, and the inclination towards a strong ego. Thank you, still digesting your rich response in my mind :)