• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is it possible for somebody to be hyper-sensitive to morphine without being allergic?

FunctionlJnkieGal

Bluelighter
Or is it the same thing? I'm 5'2" and can't weigh more than 110 lb's with an opiate tolerance of 300mg oral morphine. My fiance is 6ft tall and weighs about 180 lb's with 0 opiate tolerance (outside of maybe hydrocodone prescribed once by a doc). Thing is, he was complaining about a bout of pleurisy this one time and nothing was helping with the pain. He tried weed, his usual case of Natty Light, and even some OTC pain meds, but nothing helped. He's the type of person that HATES opiates and most pills (excluding Xanax) with a passion, given that he's seen what my addiction has done to me, but the pain must've been too much that night. I wound up convincing him to take 30mg of mine, thinking such a low dose, a fraction of what I take couldn't harm a tall and healthy dude like him. Once they kicked in, his pupils pinned and his head hit the pillow. He was REALLY knocked out and I couldn't tell if it was because of the booze or if he was having a toxic reaction to the morphine. I hate to say this, but I was relieved that he was itchy and puking in the morning after a sleepless night of me monitoring his breathing, because at least he was alive. I couldn't live with myself if I had to take him to the ER and had to explain what happened, or heaven forbid if he OD'd on such a small dose. He claims he's allergic now, but I thought an opiate allergy resulted in a rash and trouble breathing? What happened with him was a typical non-allergic reaction to morphine, if you ask me. He thinks the nausea, vomiting, and itching is an allergic reaction because it was a low dose for even a non-tolerant user. So, is it possible to be hypersensitive to something without actually being allergic?

Last edited:
That's not an allergic reaction, he nodded out because you gave him the maximum recommended dose of 0.5mg/Kg. You should have started with 10mg pills. I know what you're going to say so don't say it, this is like in the traffic code, if you hit a pedestrian traveling 10mph, you were going too fast. Lol. You can have him read this post to show him it wasn't an allergy, and take good care of him tonight as an apology, hehehehehe :) :)

Last edited:
Yes, 30mg was too much and yes, everyone reacts different due to unique metabolism etc