• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it nessasary to shower everday?

im crazy about teeth brushing. sometimes brush my teeth about 6 times a day lol pretty over the top about washing my hands as well

Yeah I can't stop brushing them, my hands I can't do anything about since they're grimy from carwork and grease, but my teeth have to be perfect, and here I am making a thread about if its normal not to shower so much haha

I shower after work, and after the gym. I shower the night before if I have work the next day and in the morning if it's my day off. And of course before going out clubbin' haha.

That about covers it. I would say the least amount of showering I consider acceptable is every other day if one isn't routinely active.

Last edited:
i'm pretty obsessive about showering, especially during the week. i take a shower and wash my hair before work each day and then take a shower and exfoliate my body before bed. on the weekends, i'll probably shower once a day but if i've been lounging around i'll actually skip one of the weekend days.

i agree with n3o, a break any longer than 3 days is stretching it... and even then, you should probably be taking a "bird bath" each day.

I used to be hardcore about taking atleast 2 showers a day, one in the morning when i wake up, and one at night when I go to sleep. But in the past I was also very active. Played lots of Hockey in tournaments constantly for various teams, basically playing hockey 7 days a week travelling all over the south east united states and sometimes much further. I was always playing various sports and always sweaty, so I took like 2 showers a day minimum.

Over the last 10 years or slow, I have become a lot less active, no longer participate in sports etc. The most intensive exercise I get is going to the nightclub once a week to dance, and DJing house parties etc...

I have also gone through a lot of depressing periods of my life where I was unable to get the energy to even walk down the stairs of my apartment that i lived in at the time....

As a result of all this I have really stopped giving a shit about taking a shower all the time. I just recently went over a week (almost 2 weeks) without taking a shower.

Granted, I work from home, on the phone, siting in my computer desk in my boxers alone (which i change every day)

I didnt really need to take a shower but I went to the club thursday so before I went I took a shower. (I also took one after I got home)

I have a very large afro that litterally requires its own towel to dry. (not to mention about 15 minutes to wash and dry just the fro) So I am in the process of finding the right balance between showering and not showering.

I think 3 to 4 days is probably the longest one should repeatedly go without a shower , and thats probably only if they are in a situation like me where they are sitting at home in their underwear all day.

But I did survive just recently 12 days without a shower.... I dont plan on doing that again anytime soon though... lol

my hair gets greasy if i miss a single day, and i hate that feeling, so once to twice (if i do some cardio) a day is a must for me.

i enjoy the theraputic qualities of having a shower, one that has "mains pressure". for me, i wouldnt dream of getting within ten foot of someone who didnt shower for a day.

if it didn't matter in olden times with girls not taking showers everday, I don't think people do it other than for social norms.

Yeah I know what you're saying man, but the fact of the matter is that this is not the olden days anymore! We are more educated about hygiene and health factors related to keeping ourselves clean.

Oh regarding the bushing teeth comments, that is entirely different. You absolutely MUST brush your teeth everyday because of the plaque and bacteria build-up. When you're not brushing your teeth, the plaque is actively eroding away at your teeth so that is really really important to brush at least once every day! :)

I'd be more concerned about gum disease than cavities if i didn't brush regularly...develops faster and can have long-term affects on the cardiovascular system. Flossing is a MUST.

I shower daily. That's just how often I feel dirty.
On humid hot days I might shower twice. But not more because now I have long hair and it takes forever to dry, and I don't really like not washing my hair when I shower. It just doesn't feel like a complete shower!

When I'm depressed I might shower every other day, or a little less.

I don't know. If I didn't feel dirty every day I'd probably shower every other day but not less. I just really like showering. Especially after work. It's like the whole "your work is over, time to relax in hot shower" time.

edit: my dad had a friend who showered like 5 times a day and washed all the oils off his skin or something and ended up having huge rashes all over his body.

I'll admit im terrible when it comes to personal hygiene. I shower most days, ill sometimes skip a few days depending.. but i do it more for the 'wind down' sensation after work. I dont shower in the morning because its way too cold.. and since my work is physical labor and i start at 5:30am i dont see the point.

I use to neglect brushing my teeth, out of pure laziness and the fact that once i did i couldn't eat anymore that night, and i use to love staying up late.. so once i got tired id just fall asleep on my bed next to me instead of going out to brush my teeth. These days however i forced myself into the habit of brushing every night after a few unpleasant dentist experiences. After having my all my wisdom teeth removed at the same time.. i never really wanted to feel pain in my mouth ever again.

My hair, that's a whole different story. Because i have dreadlocks, my hair takes an incredibly long time to dry so ill often go weeks without washing it.. i could do it every few days, but im just lazy about the drying process.

I think as a society we have an odd phobia of smelling like humans. Dogs smell like dogs, horses smell like horses, and left without chemicals and sprays and soaps we'd smell like humans. And if you go 5 days between showers I'd say you probably do have a musty smell, not necessarily eye watering BO if you don't sweat much, although I bet your armpits & groin do smell.
I believe in the armed forces a part of training is how to, and the importance of washing your dick properly even when out on exercise or battle. Bacteria and fungi can grow rapidly in warm dark damp environments and they clearly don't want to lose fighting power to knob rot.

I believe in the armed forces a part of training is how to, and the importance of washing your dick properly even when out on exercise or battle. Bacteria and fungi can grow rapidly in warm dark damp environments and they clearly don't want to lose fighting power to knob rot.

This is pretty much what I was getting at, but not in so many words ;)

We are covered in all sorts of bacteria and fungi which need to be cleaned off at least every 2nd day from your general body areas, and once a day (in my opinion) from your genital area.

I'm sure it's not a nessasary however isn't it nice to be clean and fresh everyday and not smell of BO?

I don't smell. I assume thats why people shower, but why bother if I don't have a strong scent?

Because of this:
We are covered in all sorts of bacteria and fungi which need to be cleaned off at least every 2nd day from your general body areas, and once a day (in my opinion) from your genital area.

Yeah sure, you might not smell, but there are other reasons why you need to bathe other than just odour.

i find having baths makes me feel fresh and wakes me up, makes me feel good. if i was the cleanest person on earth id still have a bath just for that reason

i have to shower everyday sometimes twice if i'm sweating hella. if i don't i break out hella bad, sucks but i guess having to shower everyday isn't a bad thing.

I like my hair to be a little greasy, apparently it's good to let your hairs natural oils do their thing.

If I didn't have seborrheic dermatitis I'd shower every other day.
I hate washing my hair daily.

Showering seems to be bad for the skin in my experience, and not just spots. So if you're not dirty and don't smell why does it matter?