• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is Fly Agaric worth it?

I wish there was a good extract easily avaiable, from most reports ive read the extracts sold rarely work well.
The local amanitas here vary alot in potency and are generally weak.

I seem to tolerate these mushrooms quite well, 5grams with some cannabis gives a very nice dissiociative high which works very well for just chillin and listening to music.
At +20g it turns into a very heavy mind trip like nothing else, very heavy on the body though.

Overall i really like this mushroom as a additive to a comedown or as a cannabis booster.
I remember the heavy dose being quite entheogenic however it will be a long while before i step into that domain again.

I'm not sure. They are very intoxicating, and it causes a much greater body load than psilocybin does. Like someone said, they are actually mildly toxic. This isn't true of psilocybin. While they are toxic in the sense that it will kill you or put you in the hospital, it is a strain on the body. The effects are different, and there tends to be a certain drunken feeling with it. From what I hear, they can easily have a way of making you sick rather than having an enthenogenic experience or it being a worthwhile high. I've never done them and know no one who has, this is going solely on trip reports and other information I've stumbled across regarding this substance.

you are obviously ignorant and not well read on the subject. .

I've read the wasson book and the Heinrich Clark book about fly agaric. He says there's pretty much nothing recreational about it. Also says he or a friend was at the camp with Ram Dass and that the guru palmed the LSD and pretended he'd taken it. Then he put it in the fireash and gave it to two other disciples to eat when they went away. Apparantly the ash of the gurus fire is supposed to be "holy". No doubt when they were tripping balls they were praising the guru as holy. LOL.

You've read Soma: Divine mushroom of immortality and that didn't make you want to try it? How is that possible? Wasson identifies it as Soma, the most divine, supreme intoxicant in the history of the world, and which can supposedly bestow immortality on the user and that didn't make you want to try it?

If he said its not recreational, its because he meant it is an entheogen. It is a serious trip, not a recreational drug. It can take you to either heaven or hell. But when you're in heaven, don't tell me its not recreational because heaven is pretty damn recreational lol.

I picked it up because I liked his previous mushroom book about psilocybin "The wondrous mushroom". But I wasn't convinced about his theory of soma. It seemed to be something that he dedicated the last part of his life to - this search for soma perhaps it became something of an obsession for him. He never really convinced me there was a drug called soma to begin with. And surely fly agaric is too tricky to use to be a universally worshipped drug.

It's true Heinrich was impressed with some of the trips he had from it - perhaps if you're after heavy-duty mental trips and don't mind a bit of nausea it would be worth a try. I think I'd rather stick to psilocybin tho. Heinrich did say the agaric was nothing like psilocybin trip wise. I'm a big fan of drugs that make you feel physically wonderful in addition to mentally.

Last edited:
Amanita can make you feel physically wonderful, yes it is tricky to use, thats the point. Soma was not a universally worshiped drug, it was worshiped by the elite class of users who knew how to use it. They knew there was nothing greater. Soma is the only drug that can make you feel like you are on LSD every single day. There is no tolerance to the psychedelic effects and it doesnt make so tired afterward that you need days to recover.

Amanita can make you feel physically wonderful, yes it is tricky to use, thats the point. Soma was not a universally worshiped drug, it was worshiped by the elite class of users who knew how to use it. They knew there was nothing greater. Soma is the only drug that can make you feel like you are on LSD every single day. There is no tolerance to the psychedelic effects and it doesnt make so tired afterward that you need days to recover.
That's patently false.

Soma has refered to various plants throughout history, including cannabis, ephedra grass, and even possibly opium (or, more particularly, a mixture of opium and ephedra, as has been found in the ritual alters of some Zoroastrian temples.

It's *possible*, though te evidence is lacking, that the Aryan tribes may have once even worshipped Amanita and called it by a similar name--their migration certainly took them past it geographically speaking.

However, it does not match the physical characteristics, nor the geographical characteristics, nor even the subjective characteristics, described of soma in the Vedas. So whether or not it may once have been a "soma" of the Aryan tribes, it most certainly wasn't the Soma recorded in the Vedas.

what is patently false? that it was the soma of the vedas? I am actually not the one who claimed that. it has been idea put forward by Gordon Wasson and several others including the Soma Shamans whose book I am currently reading. I havent even read the vedas so I dont consider myself in any way qualified to make a definitive statement on that subject but I will say that Gordon Wassons book is a lot more convincing then your post.

Wasson wasn't convincing to many others in his field. His theory is widely held to be garbage.

Really? I thought his book was pretty convincing. Soma Shamans book also says the same thing. They quote the vedas a lot and it certainly seems to fit with the effects I experience from amanita.

In addition, you know that pharmaceutical drug Soma? Carisperodol or something. Well, its its a crappy drug without many good effects but something about the way it makes my body feel has a certain feeling similar to amanita. Now that is really interesting to me because I had always wondered why the name Soma was given to such a crappy drug but now I understand and so i guess whomever invented carisperodol must have either used amanita also or somehow intuited the similarity. I dunno, its enough to convince. I understand it doesnt fit entirely and I am not sure how to explain that part but my experience in life has taught me that not everything always fits together nicely with a little bow on top.

what does IIRC mean? and i have read on here many times that carisperdol is a pro drug of meprobamate although i am not sure what that has to do with this discussion, though recently i saw a thread wehre it was stated that carisperodol effects are unique and not entirely caused by its metabolization into meprobamate.

My girlfriend's ex-boyfriend took amanitas as his first psychoactive greater than marijuana. He had a breakthrough, life-changing experience that was very difficult for him but also extremely rewarding and deep (he told me about it in detail). Basically he experienced meeting god and reviewing the entire history of time in the universe over and over again (he thought he had died and gotten stuck in an eternal loop). He had no connection to his physical self, he was up and moving and vocalizing (gibberish), and contorting his body, which freaked his friends out, but he doesn't remember any of that, only his internal experience. The experience ranged from euphoric and amazing to dark and terrifying for him.

That just sounds like an awful mix of psychedelia and muscarinic (appropriate name...) receptor modulation mixed with dissociative cognition and psychosis - fits the GABAx and paradoxical DA/Glutamate inhibition thought train.

The meeting God reviewing the history of life seems like a recurring theme with high dose amanita. Australian crop circle researcher John Scott has a three day NDE after overdosing on amanita, during which the Creator told him vast amounts of information about humanity and the spiritual history of our planet. Fascinating material. He is supposed to be writing a book, which will jump to the top of my reading list when released.

Anyway, I too have had powerful encounters with God on amanita but I only take low to moderate doses and I believe that is why my experiences are not as profound as his and do not involve anywhere near the level of information transfer which he describes. But I hope one day to experiment with high doses, I just dont feel ready. My trips on moderate doses are so intense and already hard for me to handle.

For once I agree with Ismene. You dont need to take high of amanita to get effects, in fact you shoudn't be taking anywhere near fatal doses if you are just starting out. It is a powerful mushroom and I have had bad trips on low doses before. But the safest way to do it is to smoke it. Yes, it is active when smoked. You won't die from taking a few hits of amanita and it is a great way to get aquainted with the effects in a mild way.

Eating is a lot more risky because sometimes you wont feel like its doing anything, so youll eat more and next thing you know youre tripping balls.