Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Internet Personas

I think my innerself put it perfectly.
Thats exactly how I feel.

Just ask the people you meet online and ask them how they compared you online before they meet you in flesh.

Then you will get your answers. Simple as that. :)

I dont think there are alot of people online I would want to meet. Too many 55 year old male sexylolita69's out there with large axes...................."Hey, your not a hot 17 year old blonde that wants my body, I think you shou....AAAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!"
:)

i have no idea why... but i'm much nicer online than in real life. here i just ignore the dumb fucks... and OMG there are so many of you. in real life i let 'em have it.

^yeah i was kidding, in real life i'm a doormouse, doormat and after a few pills a doorstop. i work on the door at a pop melb venue... popular for loser guys (mostly muzzas), so most of the time i'm a door bitch.

Yeah, well I guess I am pretty much the same. I'm not too shy here, not too shy in real life.

I type the way I talk, I don't try and be different online, being different would require effort. Expending energy on something that would require creative & excess thought for a futile puropse would be very un-me. I'm a "take the low/easy road" kinda guy. . .in other words a bum.

I am however comfortable in this role! :)

preacha said:
sometimes i dont know whether people are acting dumber online than they really are, just to pass the time.

Are you having a go at me again seeing that it was posted after what i said? maybe its just your arsehole internet persona coming out huh?

I think I am pretty simillar, personality wise, in real life and online. I do however get alot of people say to me that they expected someone totally different when they meet me. I think it might have to do with my tendency to avoid, out of laziness, writing anything online which takes more than two paragraphs to explain. In real life, on the other hand, I never ever shut up.

;)

I'm kinda new to the internet chatting thing... I guess i always found it both slightly weird yet interesting interacting with ppl whilst not... Tiz cool:)

Anyway, i dont know, i think pretty much being something that your not will always have someway of coming back and slapping you in the face. so yeah, i guess what you see (read) is what you get with me i hope :)

^^ yeah i understand the whole shyness factor but i don't get the whole persona different to your non cyber one in a community message board , especially if you end up meeting people , they will see if you are the same i guess *shrugs*

What i do have a gripe with is people who can't say things under their own name because i think if you can't say something under the one your known as then it shouldn't have been said in the first place.

I wouldn't say anything on here that i wouldn't say to someone to their face ...it bugs me when people feel they can only express their opinion through a fake name (unless it' an embarrasing problem or something...exception number one only i can think of)

Ahhh thats what i was getting at too.

I havent been chatting on the net for long enough to be able to objectively say what someone who's only known me online would think if they met me in real life, but id like to think that theyd say that im the same as i am on here. purelly because i like you am a strong believer in the no bullshit policy. Like you said if your not prepared to say it to the persons face dont say it at all.

Anyway, interesting thread topic. brings up alot of social issues potentially... argh, dont worry bout me. i tend to get over analytically bout shit much to often for my own good.

^^ so do i, don't worry about it :p lol and i am a big believer in no bullshit too. I ike honesty. It's the only way to go really. Just makes sense *shrugs*

Alright I don't really post on the social forums but this is a subject that interests me and I've had enough study for today so...

I've been through a lot of internet communities. Starting when I was about 14 I started playing muds and other online games and interacting through IRC and bulletin boards...when I quit playing muds I had about 180 days logged on, plus countless hours more surfing boards and shit. I met many people in person that I met online, often travelling interstate to do so. I've also lurked on many different boards, rarely coming out to post, and I only post on the drug discussion boards here because of my own desire for safer drug use for myself and others. While there are hordes of people more experienced than me, I still like to say that I've "been through the internet and come out the other side."

Whether you like it or not, your behaviour online is different. The internet is an *environment* and the norms of the environment in which you are interacting always influence the way you behave. This is on one level through what the environment is actually like (in the case of bluelight, the standard internet text + emoticons). But on another level it's because of the people who inhabit an environment. I generally use correct grammar, capitals, spelling and so forth. I do that because in the internet communities that I first started in, that was a sign of intelligence, and anyone who said "lol", "stfu" or "wtf" was ridiculed as an idiot. Compare that to other internet communities you might encounter where "omg wtf bbq ur mom = asshat" is the calibre of conversation you should expect.

Some people are exactly the same online...most aren't, though they might not admit it. I am generally much less articulate in person because of how easy it is to revise your comments when you're using text. As a way of coping with the anxiety produced by meeting new people, I can sometimes combine this with trying to be too outgoing/amusing, which goes well sometimes, and sometimes just makes me look like a dick.

Because of the nature of my personality and the amount of experience I've had with the internet, online I feel I am more successful in projecting the image of the ideal me. I can be intelligent, articulate and well spoken and well versed on whatever issue I want because the internet is right there for me to research whatever people are discussing, and you don't trip over your own words when you type. This doesn't mean that I'm a social retard in person, but that my internet persona allows different avenues of expression for me.

I'm sure a lot of people will agree with me when I say that after a while you can sense the personality behind the text. Emoticons and the way they are used mean more and more as you use the internet more, so does spelling, grammar, punctuation, slang...all of these things, once you've met enough people online and compared them to how they act in person, allow you to construct what someone is likely to be like if you have enough knowledge of the online context in which you met them. But because the internet, and bluelight, are *social environments* that are different to real life, you can never be sure. People don't usually go out of their way to be fake, but the social context that they're in means that they must learn how to interact in a way acceptable to their context or they won't get successful, positive interactions that make them want to interact in the community more.

^^^ really good post.

Originally posted by satricion
As a way of coping with the anxiety produced by meeting new people, I can sometimes combine this with trying to be too outgoing/amusing, which goes well sometimes, and sometimes just makes me look like a dick.

i get this *all* the time :)

up all night said:

I think the internet can bring out a different side to people... but they're not necessarily consciously misrepresenting their personality.

id have to agree with you on that one :)

ive met many a person on the net and then when it came to meet them irl they were mor freaky than they were online :\ this can be quite entertaiing but soemtimes it can be freaky.

id like to think that people whom i talk to over the net are pretyt mucht he same as they are irl or somewhat similar.

but each person has their own individual personality and each person is different :)