View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Intense shrooms trip? Laced shrooms?

carlyyy

Greenlighter
Hi, I'm posting here because of a crazy/weird experience I had a few months ago. I'm hoping to get the opinions of some experienced shrooms users.
So at the end of the summer, I asked my boyfriend if we could do shrooms. He only found 1/8th so we split that and took them at our house. it was my first time but he had done shrooms 4 times before. As we are eating them, he says they're disgusting and grosser than the other ones he's had. Within 30 minutes, I experienced crazy visuals, I was extremely confused, and I was super nauseous. My boyfriend says to me, "these are the strongest shrooms I've ever had!" Then he goes into the bedroom. I was lying on the ground and hallucinating so much I couldn't see reality. I loved the visuals and tried to relax but then I started throwing up a TON and having a violent panic attack.
I start to worry about him, so I walked in the bedroom and he had fallen asleep. I woke him up because I had just throw up and he starts screaming and becoming violent because he IMAGINED that he died and the paramedics were in the room trying to revive him and cops and people were in the house and I was getting arrested. So needless to say he had a bad trip.
We came down after 6 hours and went to bed. The next day we were exhausted.
To this day he says those were stronger than any he's ever had and sometimes speculates that they were laced? I have no idea because I had nothing to compare my trip to. I do sometimes wonder why a couple grams of shrooms would be so crazy. I've tripped on LSD for 15 hours but it was nothing like this. Can any experienced shrooms users give me your opinions?

unfortunately the only way to know would be to get them tested. Anything beyond that is speculation. Did your boyfriend note that it felt different? How long did the full trip last?

As CrypticArc said, the only way to be sure about what you took is to have a sample of it tested. That being said, it's not unusual that mushrooms vary in strength depending on the strain and on growing conditions. Also some people seem to be more sensitive than others to psychedelics in general or to one psychedelic in particular.

I always thought of 1.5g of psilocybe cubensis as a pretty light dose, that would be good for a beginner. But I remember one time taking mushrooms with two friends who had no experience with them, but said they were pretty experienced with LSD (they might have been exaggerating a bit). So I gave them 1.5g each and told them that should be a good beginners dose, but to just take a little bit less if they wanted to be careful.
One of them had a pretty rough time coming up, not so much because of nausea, but just overwhelmed by the effects... "It feels like I have been shot out into the universe" he said, and he also was quite overwhelmed by the crowd of people around (not a party, but a more of a chilled gathering with maybe 20 people) and had to find a more quiet place to be able to relax. Later he told me, that he felt that dose was way too big for a beginner. After I knew he was better and that I could leave him alone for some time, I spoke to my other friend to find out if she felt that it was too big a dose, but she was perfectly fine. We compared the effects we were experiencing and I was glad to hear we were pretty much on the same level, only to be told then that she had decided to take only half of what I gave her.

Moral of the story: You never know how sensitive you or others are going to react to a new drug or new batch of a familiar drug. It's always best to start as low as possible, "I don't feel anything" is always better then "This is way too strong". That is also why I have never since suggested to anybody what I think would be the right dose for them, that's a responsibility I don't want to take.

Edit: You tripped on LSD for 15 hours and it didn't come close to what you felt from 1,75g of mushrooms? If you were tripping for 15 hours that must have been a pretty strong dose already. Or is it more like that you still didn't feel *sober* after 15 hours, but the main trip had been over hours before?

Last edited:
Do you remember if they were really very slim stems, or more normal thickness?

We must underline that there is no way for us to know if you took regular Cubensis mushrooms (most common type of psilocybin mushrooms and most strains are on average of similar potency - I'll get to that), but there is no harm in detailing what scenarios we could think of:

1. They were in fact Cubensis, and as they are natural products they just vary in potency and you got a strong batch - while hardly depending on strain actually, growing conditions can be a limiting factor but also hardly a determining factor otherwise - mostly variance in genetics. The abnormal taste would be a coincidence. The duration of the trip and the fact that your boyfriend fell asleep are actually quite consistent with Psilocybe mushrooms.
2. They were Cubensis, but one of the very few strains that are actually exceptions because they are genetic mutants, and considerably more potent than other Cubensis. Penis Envy strain is the main example. Again, the taste would be a coincidence.
3. They were Psilocybe mushrooms but not Cubensis. For example Azurescens or Cyanescens - but there are more possibilities - which often have a rather petite appearance, Cubensis is rather 'meaty'. IMO those other species actually don't taste bad at all, I find them tasting less gross than Cubensis, but opinions may vary. Azures and the like are a lot more potent, at 1 gram being enough for a decent trip - 1.5 would be strong.
4. They were not psychoactive mushrooms at all, but inactive ones that were laced with a relatively cheap synthetic psychedelic. One with a duration / type of trip that still pretty much matches that of shrooms. Other types of mushrooms could of course taste more nasty than your boyfriend is used to...

I would not think there is enough reason to assume that it has to be scenario 4.

Shrooms are weird, we had albino penis envy that came through town and sent a few people to the ER. A gram was literally the same potency as your average 8th. They looked funky tho, straight up like a bleached white dick hahah. You could tell they weren't your average shroom. An 8th of these would 360 no scope your ego, not everyone's ready for that.

I've tripped on LSD for 15 hours but it was nothing like this. Can any experienced shrooms users give me your opinions?

I find that shrooms go places LSD can't, and vice versa. Some sort of mental weird filter is unplugged an all this echoing cosmic nonsense comes through. I the dose curve for shrooms is a little more exponential for me, once you get into the 5+grams range of average shrooms it'll really shift gears.

In this thread, perhaps (as it's contemporaneous with yours) made by someone in your group, I discuss why laced mushrooms aren't going to be "a thing." The posters above me know more about mushroom strains, etc. than I do, but lacing mushrooms is not practical or economical. Just not going to happen.

'Laced mushrooms' seems like it is a scapegoat type of thing, an explanation (we humans are desperate explanation seekers) for a wildcard or unexpected effect.

Something similar is seen with the whole 'I was slipped GHB or a roofy!' thing. While, respectfully, this does happen to some extent as I'm sure some idiot has laced mushrooms at some point despite everything SKL correctly states to the contrary... but we are likely to find that in the far majority of cases we find an explanation much closer to home.

With GHB it's often excessive alcohol in people who for reasons did not expect the amnesia...

So that said, shrooms can be one of the most intense psychs - I attest - and yeah panic attacks are had, and yeah sometimes (whether because of batch genetics of the cubensis mushrooms or, less likely, them being another psilocybe species) you eat way more psilocin that you bargain for.

While, respectfully, this does happen to some extent as I'm sure some idiot has laced mushrooms at some point despite everything SKL correctly states to the contrary...

Do we mean laced psilocybe spp. mushrooms or other random non-psychoactive mushrooms spiked with drugs? The former just seems beyond unlikely, and the latter a lot of effort to pull of a probably easily-detected scam.

Moreover, if you were to go about lacing mushrooms, without destroying them (i.e. as you probably would sparying/saturating them with drug containing solvent), how would you do it?

While I admit "some idiot" has probably done just about anything, I'm pretty much willing to do double down on "didn't happen, no way, completely out of the realm of possibility."

With GHB it's often excessive alcohol in people who for reasons did not expect the amnesia...

So that said, shrooms can be one of the most intense psychs - I attest - and yeah panic attacks are had, and yeah sometimes (whether because of batch genetics of the cubensis mushrooms or, less likely, them being another psilocybe species) you eat way more psilocin that you bargain for.

True on both counts

I'm guessing you just got a really kick-ass batch of cubes. Like the other comments suggested, the potency of mushrooms can vary drastically. I'm an extremely experienced psychedelics user, and one day I ate like 2 cubes that some dude gave me, and I was so fucked up I had to call someone to take care of me. It was a terrifying experience. I haven't done mushrooms since. They are just really unpredictable. Weighing your doses helps, but some mushrooms are just way stronger than others.

I have had a single trip once on regular cubensis @ 1,2-1-3g, which is with out doubt one of the strongest trips I've experienced.
Probably comparable to +3,5g liberty caps.
They where aborts though, so really small mushrooms and the taste was also a lot stronger. Tried a lot of the other flushes from the same kit(s) for comparison btw.

FWIW

obviously cubes are quite different in appearance to liberty caps but a friend of mine , inexperienced at the time, ate a chinese container full of liberty caps and its truely projected him across the universe, I vaguely remember him saying he seen a dead person at somepoint and really wanted to leave the house we were in at that time but his body was barely able to hold him up he was so sedated in a sense. so they can defo be extremely potent. but earlier this year I had 5 single libs which where falling over due to the weight of the cap, these ones were very dark blue around the gills and sent me on a good trip for all i dosed myself with , so im going to have to go with the fact that the chances are they werent spiked at all you just got one of natures super powered shrooms

Do we mean laced psilocybe spp. mushrooms or other random non-psychoactive mushrooms spiked with drugs? The former just seems beyond unlikely, and the latter a lot of effort to pull of a probably easily-detected scam.

Moreover, if you were to go about lacing mushrooms, without destroying them (i.e. as you probably would sparying/saturating them with drug containing solvent), how would you do it?

While I admit "some idiot" has probably done just about anything, I'm pretty much willing to do double down on "didn't happen, no way, completely out of the realm of possibility."

I think we mean lacing other random non-psychoactive mushrooms because who in their right mind would take normal LSD hits and lace them by laying them again but with now with something else? Doesn't make sense. The only motive with Psilo lacing would be to win some kind of local mushroom potency dicksizing contest the wrong way which is an exceedingly fantastic scenario.
Yet you have to factor in a lot of weird possibilities like people having more of a certain compound on their hands than they know what to do with, while the real mcCoy is still in great demand. (NBOMe much?)

The "some idiot" argument was also to make the point that even unlikely things happen, just not quite that frequently, maybe not even often enough to be relevant.

Why would applying a volatile solvent with drugs dissolved in it destroy cracker-dry mushrooms? I don't think it would, just like applying a synthetic cannabinoid rich solution of (say acetone but ether might take the cake as far as volatility goes - if not per se solubility) solvent on a random dried herb like parsley or oregano or mint.

You definitely wouldn't want to use water or even something like it - protic like an alcohol not sure of qualifications - that would "rehydrate them into goo" and you also wouldn't want to soak mushrooms in a solvent swimmingly, but I don't know for a fact either that having something like ether applied to it would render the tissue so unrecognizably damaged upon evaporation that it could not be passed off as dried mushroom. Especially when using a saturated solution I doubt that you would really have to use such an erosive amount of solvent but that of course depends on the drug and the solvent. A particularly inventive scammer might try using vacuum methods with a similar goal as freeze-drying as to preserve constitution.

Last edited:
^ Another possibility would be somebody "spicing up" cubensis mushrooms that have lost potency due to bad storage condition. That happened to a friend of mine with a substantial amount, a real shame. (I mean his mushrooms lost their potency, not that he laced them with something else)

But I agree with SKL, this is very unlikely to happen. Why go through all that trouble, when you can buy NBOMe-blotter and pass it of as LSD?

I have had a mushrooms that I ate a quarter of and had a pretty decent trip...nothing mind bending, however my brother ate an 1/8th of the same and had a horrible time. It has also happened the other way around where my brother ate 2gs and I ate 1.5gs and I had a very difficult trip.

There are too many factors involved to be able to point to one variable and say that is the culprit.

Can someone explain to me or link me some information on cubenius strains?

Like how they make different strains and such?

Mushrooms are really powerful this is what people need to understand, they differ greatly in potency individually sometimes 1g can kick my arse especially 1g of aborts (psilocybe semilanceata).

That trip ruined me for a long time over a year n still not normal, they could be laced but it's not likely who's gonna waste perfectly good drugs if they lace it nobody will wanna buy from the person, it's a bad business move