• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

"Intelligence"

Well my point is that it would be impossible to forget to remember to do it because it is an action that is evolutionarily hardwired into the brain. If you hold your breath long enough consciously you pass out, and your brain just takes over doing it again. I understand I'm missing the point of the quote, but the quote seems silly to me for that reason.

Definately, if you somehow where to forget how to breath the relevant parts of your brainstem would began to control your bodies rate and depth of breath.

From what I understand carbon dioxide is absorbed into the blood which in turn causes changes in the bodies lactic and carbonic acids. These reactions cause impulses to be sent through to the respiratory centre of the brain. The final sequence then being nerve impulses which manipulate the diaphragm and other muscles to work the lungs to expel the air

But I guess Mr Zimmerman has always been big on grandiose statements

No. That's why he used that example. It is an exaggeration. He said "it's a wonder we still know how to breath". He didn't say that we don't know how to breath. So what you and eggman have said applies to how we are currently, but the dude didn't say that we aren't that way, currently.

Sure, I get the stated intention. I just don't think it was a brilliant statement. Little rough around the edges, could have done with some editorial input.

I agree with Rated. I was mostly being a prick and I over analyse things just to be annoying.

Also I really dont like Dylan, nor do I like people quoting Dylan. But then again, I quoted Dee Dee Ramone

No harm, No foul I guess

Seacrest.... OUT!

If he had have said something like, 'It's a wonder we still know how to wipe our arses,' I would have been more impressed.

On the other extreme even less so if he said, 'It's a wonder we still know how to circulate oxygenated blood.'

trancegirle said:
What do you gauge intelligence by?

ones ability to hold a conversation with me and discuss concepts...

therefore anyone who cannot do this, i consider of less intelligence.

anyone who can do this, i consider of good intelligence.

anyone who goes over and above this, i consider extremely intelligent...

best part about my measure, its relative to all people.. depending on the intelligence of with whom i speak, i will also fall into one of those three categories..

eggman88888 said:
Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Pamela Anderson, Pete Doherty, The Royal Family, Kurt Cobain, Dee Dee Ramone....

My list is longer than yours.

I don't think one intelligence is better than the other. We all learn things in different ways and have different interests. In first year teaching we did some basic psyc and one of the theorists we learnt about is Gardner

http://surfaquarium.com/MI/overview.htm

Just because some can spell well doesn't mean they are more intelligent than someone who can make a chair, dance or paint a picture *shrugs*

eggman88888 said:
Ones ability to impart beneficial and insightful knowledge onto others

I think this sums it up perfectly. I would modify it slightly to; one's ability to impart relevant, beneficial and insightful knowledge to others. Often information can be beneficial and insightful, but not entirely relevant to the discussion being had. I'm not sure if others have found this also.

doofqueen said:
I don't think one intelligence is better than the other. We all learn things in different ways and have different interests. In first year teaching we did some basic psyc and one of the theorists we learnt about is Gardner

http://surfaquarium.com/MI/overview.htm

Just because some can spell well doesn't mean they are more intelligent than someone who can make a chair, dance or paint a picture *shrugs*

I've always felt this. There are different kinds of intelligence, in that some people are practical and have 'common sense', others have high intellect or IQ, others are creative, others still are witty, articulate, some people have very logical minds with strengths in mathematics or engineering, some people have a good understanding of human behaviour ... all these people make up a pretty interesting world I think. The ability to comprehend, problem solve, apply theory to practice and think logically can be classed as intelligence.

Re: the spelling or grammar issue in relation to intelligence - people who have high skills in this area are well read I think. I think while its a pity some people don't read (as in novels), it's not necessarily an indication of lesser intelligence if you don't.

A term being used fairly regularly with regard to workplace health these days is 'emotional intelligence'. This is so important, not just in the workplace but in all areas of a person's life. The ability to have insight into your own and other people's emotions as well as knowing how to manage them, can have a very beneficial effect on your life.