• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous (In my subjective opinion) Mushrooms are waaaay better than LSD

Oh wow, yeah, that suuuuuucks. Well, at least it didn't really happen to you but rather just your friend, which still sucks, and puts off bad vibes, no doubt, but it does illustrate one point I like to make to people whenever they're hemming and hawing over the prospect of tripping. I tell them – if nothing else, you'll probably get an interesting story from the trip, even if it gets a little challenging here and there. And I'm a pretty strong believer in doing certain things in life for the story. Glad to know you tripped again after that.

I typically avoid psychedelics whenever I'm grieving something or struggling with something. At the same time, sometimes I dose anyway, and it's usually challenging; however, I've also found it to be cathartic at times. But that's usually when I'll trip alone so as not to drag others down my potentially disturbing trip for a spell. No need to make my troubles someone else's emotional problem.

Also, Terence McKenna was a big advocate of taking "heroic doses" of mushrooms, generally > 5g dried mushrooms for most people.
Yeah I did them alone when nobody was home but it was crazy how the shrooms made me delusional over real life events, I wasn't prepared for that, I thought it was going to be a visual kinda trip and it was more of mindfuck. It was definitely cathartic in the part of the trip where I felt my father's spirit, I had to reach out to my aunt however because she microdoses and maybe she felt the same, I mean I know my dose was more heroic but still

Yeah I did them alone when nobody was home but it was crazy how the shrooms made me delusional over real life events, I wasn't prepared for that, I thought it was going to be a visual kinda trip and it was more of mindfuck. It was definitely cathartic in the part of the trip where I felt my father's spirit, I had to reach out to my aunt however because she microdoses and maybe she felt the same, I mean I know my dose was more heroic but still
Well you see that's the heart of McKenna's argument about heroic doses. Microdosing psychedelics doesn't really open you up to the same experiences you can have from the heroic dose. With smaller doses, there's still a part of your ego that fights back rather than giving in to the experience, buying the ticket and taking the ride, so to speak. He claimed it's only by dissolving our egos that we can be reborn with a new outlook on life.

He also advocated taking said heroic dose in a quiet space in the pitch dark, lying comfortably and just letting the mushrooms transport you through space and time. Not that I espouse these views personally, mind you, I just think they're interesting to consider. Ultimately I reject quite a few of the late McKenna's points, and consider roughly half of his ideas to be complete nonsense quackery pseudoscience (e.g.: the Mayan Calendar eschaton prediction, and some of his later work on brain waves). But I love the guy anyway, and I'm a fan of his brother's research as well, Denis McKenna. It sucks Terence died so young – he was only 53 when he died of an aggressive form of brain cancer, on 3 April 2000.

"He also recommended, and often spoke of taking, what he called 'heroic doses', which he defined as five grams of dried psilocybin mushrooms, taken alone, on an empty stomach, in silent darkness, and with eyes closed. He believed that when taken this way one could expect a profound visionary experience, believing it is only when 'slain' by the power of the mushroom that the message becomes clear."
Goes w/o saying: you gotta clear your calendar a bit for a thing like this. Take the day off at least, right? Lol

Shrooms grew where i grew up. I always get a bad trip from them and although free i haven't tripped in 20+ years. I seem to be able to control my trip better with lsd. I have never had a bad lsd trip
Yeah shrooms really mess with my emotions, too. I have to be ready for that. LSD does not do this. It just makes me wanna boogie woogie – I'm serious, it turns me into a dancin' mofo and music sounds so good on LSD; almost like someone let me in on a secret about the music I didn't know before. It's amazing.

I am told that semperviva mushrooms (aka: Psilocybe hoogshagenii) put people in much better dispositions compared to P. cubensis mushrooms. Just thought I'd pass that along, b/c a number of people have separately testified to this to me, and I'm apt to believe there's something to it and plan to try sempervivas soon.

The other thing worth mentioning here, I feel, is that hippieflipping (taking mushrooms while already on MDMA) seems to circumnavigate this issue and I have excellent experiences that way, as well. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:
Oh wow, yeah, that suuuuuucks. Well, at least it didn't really happen to you but rather just your friend, which still sucks, and puts off bad vibes, no doubt, but it does illustrate one point I like to make to people whenever they're hemming and hawing over the prospect of tripping. I tell them – if nothing else, you'll probably get an interesting story from the trip, even if it gets a little challenging here and there. And I'm a pretty strong believer in doing certain things in life for the story. Glad to know you tripped again after that.

I typically avoid psychedelics whenever I'm grieving something or struggling with something. At the same time, sometimes I dose anyway, and it's usually challenging; however, I've also found it to be cathartic at times. But that's usually when I'll trip alone so as not to drag others down my potentially disturbing trip for a spell. No need to make my troubles someone else's emotional problem.

Also, Terence McKenna was a big advocate of taking "heroic doses" of mushrooms, generally > 5g dried mushrooms for most people.
Yeah
Well you see that's the heart of McKenna's argument about heroic doses. Microdosing psychedelics doesn't really open you up to the same experiences you can have from the heroic dose. With smaller doses, there's still a part of your ego that fights back rather than giving in to the experience, buying the ticket and taking the ride, so to speak. He claimed it's only by dissolving our egos that we can be reborn with a new outlook on life.

He also advocated taking said heroic dose in a quiet space in the pitch dark, lying comfortably and just letting the mushrooms transport you through space and time. Not that I espouse these views personally, mind you, I just think they're interesting to consider. Ultimately I reject quite a few of the late McKenna's points, and consider roughly half of his ideas to be complete nonsense quackery pseudoscience (e.g.: the Mayan Calendar eschaton prediction, and some of his later work on brain waves). But I love the guy anyway, and I'm a fan of his brother's research as well, Denis McKenna. It sucks Terence died so young – he was only 53 when he died of an aggressive form of brain cancer, on 3 April 2000.

Goes w/o saying: you gotta clear your calendar a bit for a thing like this. Take the day off at least, right? Lol
Yeah I found out about what Terrence meant about heroic doses taken in silence, in darkness after I did the 7 gram trip, I wish I found out about what he said beforehand. You mentioned ego dissolution and I'm still trying to figure out if I experienced it while I tripped on 7 grams. I mean the fact I had to confront everything that was going on in my life at the time like addiction issues and my Dad's death, I would say I felt very humbled. Like it went against my ego, I just don't know if that is ego loss however

Yeah

Yeah I found out about what Terrence meant about heroic doses taken in silence, in darkness after I did the 7 gram trip, I wish I found out about what he said beforehand. You mentioned ego dissolution and I'm still trying to figure out if I experienced it while I tripped on 7 grams. I mean the fact I had to confront everything that was going on in my life at the time like addiction issues and my Dad's death, I would say I felt very humbled. Like it went against my ego, I just don't know if that is ego loss however
Maybe not ego loss, but at least ego flattening. That's how I see it, anyway. The confrontation with yourself and your personal issues, plus the fact that you said yourself it was "humbling" leads me to believe it was one of those experiences that flirts with ego loss but definitely flattens and tamps down all outward signs of ego, so to speak. It attenuates communication attempts and it became delusional to the point where you had difficulty discerning fact from fiction in your own mind.

Typically with ego death / complete ego loss, I experience what I previously mistook for death. I've done it enough times now to where I no longer have the fear that I've accidentally killed myself and am experiencing the afterworld or something to that effect… when in fact, nope it's just PCP, 3-MeO-PCP, DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, aaaand I think that's all for my list so far. Been close to it on Ketamine, but not quite. If I drop acid and near peak I vape a good 40 - 50 mg of DMT freebase, it's a cosmic pinball ride into the æther, with a loss of ego, full reality swap and a vague sense I've left one dimension for another. Exploring those realms is thrilling-if-terrifying at the same time. Not for everyone, but for those with true grit of the psychonaut persuasion, it's very much worthy of experimenting.

Maybe not ego loss, but at least ego flattening. That's how I see it, anyway. The confrontation with yourself and your personal issues, plus the fact that you said yourself it was "humbling" leads me to believe it was one of those experiences that flirts with ego loss but definitely flattens and tamps down all outward signs of ego, so to speak. It attenuates communication attempts and it became delusional to the point where you had difficulty discerning fact from fiction in your own mind.

Typically with ego death / complete ego loss, I experience what I previously mistook for death. I've done it enough times now to where I no longer have the fear that I've accidentally killed myself and am experiencing the afterworld or something to that effect… when in fact, nope it's just PCP, 3-MeO-PCP, DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, aaaand I think that's all for my list so far. Been close to it on Ketamine, but not quite. If I drop acid and near peak I vape a good 40 - 50 mg of DMT freebase, it's a cosmic pinball ride into the æther, with a loss of ego, full reality swap and a vague sense I've left one dimension for another. Exploring those realms is thrilling-if-terrifying at the same time. Not for everyone, but for those with true grit of the psychonaut persuasion, it's very much worthy of experimenting.
Yes I see it the same way as ego flattening instead of true ego death. I think I experienced full ego loss on salvia, when I smoked salvia I forgot that I was a human and I felt like I was an object. I felt like everything in my body shut down like I was just something else. But with the shrooms, what you said makes alot of sense

He also advocated taking said heroic dose in a quiet space in the pitch dark, lying comfortably and just letting the mushrooms transport you through space and time. Not that I espouse these views personally, mind you, I just think they're interesting to consider. Ultimately I reject quite a few of the late McKenna's points, and consider roughly half of his ideas to be complete nonsense quackery pseudoscience
He was very entertaining but definitely went all in on the nuttiness of psychedelics and probably helped consign psychedelics to the fringe for longer than they should have been. Then again, it was a paying gig for him. His brother called him out for the misinformation/quackery that he was espousing and seemed to feel that he was motivated more by fame or infamy than some deeper understanding.

Rumoured that Terence had a very difficult experience with high dose mushrooms and basically stopped taking them and most psychedelics for many years including much of the time he was rhapsodying about "heroic dosage". I would take his dosing advice with a grain of salt. But as a unique voice for drug use, he is unrivalled in loquacity and sheer volume of output.

I agree mushrooms are so much better in every way I am shocked when I hear people say they prefer LSD. One of the reasons I think most people dont like mushrooms is a simple case of improper storage, lots of people claim things like "Stomach pain, vomiting nausea and diarrhea" and having a fucked up stomach the next day or two and none of that is from the mushroom its from someone storing them when they arent completely dried and probably carrying some nasty bacteria that has grown on it. If you dry and store with dessicant your mushrooms won't cause any of that shit except some mild nausea maybe during the first few minutes of the come up. When I eat shrooms they make my stomach feel clean and good and my whole body feels light once Ive come up and I feel full of energy and like Im weightless and superhuman. There is a body euphoria with good shrooms that can sometimes feel as good as MDMA or even better IMO because you don't have any shitty comedown and feel depleted for days/weeks afterwards, I feel better and refreshed not hungover. Listening to Psytrance on a strong dose of mushrooms is a life changing experience IMO and it feels so euphoric to me that it makes feel good hard drugs like opiates and crack feel like pussy shit when you hit the right dose and can channel it, its not as repeatable and predictable like those other drugs but when you get a trip like that it beats the fuck out of them.

The trip is the perfect amount of time too and you don't have to sit there feeling cracked out for 6-8 hours while the shitty part wears off like LSD. I never feel like LSD is something that is good for me, my spine and neck always hurt and my back just feels like shit and I never get that from mushrooms. I like how you don't have to rely on dealers to get them either and you know for a fact that you have something that isn't an RC being passed off as LSD. I could never take something sold to me as acid and have a good time, I would be horrified if I took some 24hr+ RC hallucinogen and having to ride that out. My LSD days were during the turn of the century 1999-2000 era when sheets of dancing condoms and pink elephants were rampant in my highschool and while I loved it back then it was even hard on my body/mind as a 15 year old I wouldnt want to go through that comedown nowadays. Mushrooms are a bit trickier to get the dosage right for people so I think alot of experiences can turn out lackluster or scare the shit out of someone from too much but when you hit that just right dose I can't think of much that rivals how you feel in the moment during the peak. Ive been itching to eat some good ones Ive had saved but the right time hasnt come along yet but I can't wait until it does.
I had Golden Teachers that gave me a great body high that was very similar to the body high on mdma but in a more natural way. And I didn't get really any nausea from them. On them colors and everything became enhanced, bright and was very vibrant as in the enhancement and brightness I was able to feel throughout my body. I ate 7 grams and at that dose I became delusional over past real life events I had, my dad had passed away a year prior and while I was tripping I was able to feel his spirit inside my body, like my body sensed his presence and it was like there was telepathy between me and him, like my thoughts were his and he was speaking to me. I broke down into tears. Now I had a run in with police a day before I tripped and while I was tripping I looked out of the window and there was a car in front of my house and the person sitting in the car looked like a middle aged white man and for a second it looked like he was looking at me with binoculars and I became delusional thinking he was one of the cops I had the run in with and that he was spying on me because he knew that I had shrooms and was telepathically telling me to surrender to him. I felt such an intense sense of impending doom going through my body, I went outside and it was only two teenagers sitting in the car and they were Spanish. The shrooms were taking everything that was happening in my life and made me confront it head on. It was scary but amazing at the same time. But I get what you are saying about the body high and lack of nausea

It's weird to see people arguing that much about it. If I were to post this like 2 years ago, I would definitely be on the shrooms side in such an argument as I was in a point in my life where mushrooms turned out to be very helpful to me, it was a hard period in my life and a lot of it was due to me being myself at that time and I really had some things to correct. Shrooms were a hard kick and reset and I am very thankful for that, if it were for L, it just doesn't have that depth for me and it would take much more time (probably won't work in the end). But shrooms are also unforgiving and sometimes very nasty. Some trips were all about "you are stupid and dumb, you are a big failure". Others were about me dying. I actually experienced myself dying at least several times on shrooms. Wasn't scary or awful, but wasn't also funny. I really respect shrooms for what they are able to do. But they are not recreational, more like therapeutic. I guess that's because it has high affinity towards 2HT-A and very low towards dopamine receptors, but I might be wrong about that. It has its uses for me and I don't regret any of my trips, even the unpleasant ones that made me cry and hate myself for being what I am. LSD on the other hand is a super fun experience. It is much much more hedonistic and just about having fun, no serious stuff. I've had some tough experiences on L, yes, but they were more about "it's overwhelming, I want to go home and lay on my bed", rather than "I am a fucking failure" or "this is how I die".

That said, even though I've had a lot of shrooms experiences (I really kind of abused it at some point), they were all cubensis ones. Different cubes yes, but still cubensis. Never tried others. My first psychedelic experience was 2C-I years ago, then my first classic psychedelic experience was with LSD, not with shrooms. I find shrooms and L very very different, they serve different purposes. I don't think they are similar at all.
Shrooms for me is like that, it showed me everything that was wrong and everything that I was doing wrong and forced me to take a look at it, very therapeutic IMO

Shrooms for me is like that, it showed me everything that was wrong and everything that I was doing wrong and forced me to take a look at it, very therapeutic IMO
Oh jeez I thought I was in a different thread, I didn't realize I posted several times in the same one lol

Once I dropped about twenty window pane hits on the "pebbled" sidewalk outside a Mc Donalds. I think I found maybe 5 of them despite me getting down on my hands and knees and squinting as closely as I possibly could.
I once lost 8 gel tabs under some shit in my room and only months later found them, still in the light proof baggie and all. My bf and I split the eight right down the middle and had a wonderful day, but I was expecting to never find them and to have the next occupants of the apartment come across a very magical item some day, haha.

I respect gel tabs and microdots better than APE mushrooms, but I like APE musrooms better than other mushrooms and blotters or any lysergamide. (I love them all really)

It is because I can become familiar with the dosage, and take portions that suit my occasion.
however, APE mushroom are no problem to eat dried (not very stringy) and they hit very fast, with alerts after chewing nearly as fast as smoked pot after exhaling. then it builds to a satisfying euphoric experience for 4 -6 hours (I am doing moderate to small doses)
lsd takes longer to hit, becomes a great sparkly extra layer and lasts longer.

both are very good friends.

Higher doses are not quite as friendly, but they can be good in their own way if you want a challenge.

I was experimenting with APE mini doses taken daily and had already done 2 days in a row with good results and no obvious tolerance
today is the third day. and the APE dose was visually a tiny bit bigger, maybe 0.6gm -> and it totally flattened me out - really sstrong -
had to lie down for 2 hours, patterning visuals in bright sunlight.
with these smaller dosages, there seems to be no tolerance effect. but with lysergamides, the tolerance has to be respected more strictly.

or

I happened to get a very strong piece of a very strong shroom, and that is also a very realistic natural thing that can happen.

I was experimenting with APE mini doses taken daily and had already done 2 days in a row with good results and no obvious tolerance
today is the third day. and the APE dose was visually a tiny bit bigger, maybe 0.6gm -> and it totally flattened me out - really sstrong -
had to lie down for 2 hours, patterning visuals in bright sunlight.
with these smaller dosages, there seems to be no tolerance effect. but with lysergamides, the tolerance has to be respected more strictly.

or

I happened to get a very strong piece of a very strong shroom, and that is also a very realistic natural thing that can happen.
Yeah I heard APE are amazing

Getting head while on mushrooms was amazing
Yeah many phenthylamines, tryptamines, and lysergamides are effective sexual enhancers/aphrodisiacs. For that purpose, I especially like:
  • 2C-B-FLY
  • 2C-B
  • 5-MeO-DiPT ("Foxy")
  • 5-MeO-MiPT ("Moxy")
  • Allylescaline
  • LSD w/ MDMA or MDA
  • Methamphetamine
  • GHB or GBL (edit: granted this, isn't a PEA, TA, or LA)
  • PDE5 inhibitors (edit: same as above, honorable mention)
Yeah I heard APE are amazing
They're good, no doubt, and they're pretty-looking shroomies, too, but I keep hearing Semperviva mushrooms are where it's at. It's not so much about potency purely but more that they have a good balance and calm, friendly headspace. These are the qualities I like so much about 4-HO-MET.

One day, whenever I get around to it, I plan to inject MET into mushroom substrate material which should provoke the mushroom to produce 4-HO-MET & 4-PO-MET along with its indigenous 4-HO-DMT & 4-PO-DMT.

Last edited:
I like APE for texture and taste - I chew.
I found dadddy long legs just as strong but much more stringy to chew.

I find LSD way more "advanced" at higher doses. The effects on consciousness are truly multidimensional and mind blowing. However, LSD lasts a long time for me, up to 12 hours. If it didn't last as long, it would be the perfect drug. Mushrooms on the other hand are shorter lived, but the gut rot and body load are much more intense for me. However, they connect me more to nature, so I prefer doing them when I'm out in the woods or on a beach.