• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids *Impossible* to get a cold/flu while on opiates?

It's probably because when you're high on opiates if you had a cold you probably wouldn't even notice. I remember when i first started doing H i went to go score when i was sick one day and as soon as i did the hit i felt better. This was before i was physically addicted to it, i had a cold i wasn't sick from withdrawals.

If I was sick I was too high to care about it or assumed it was time to take another shot. Never really got sick over my 4 years heroin habit. Just dope sick

Hey let's not forget 100 years ago Bayer marketed Heroin as cold medicine!

yup i can agree i never used to get sick when i was a heroin addict. i wasnt eating right and def wasnt taking care of myself but i never got the cold/flu sick, just WD. very strange indeed.

Interesting. I had wondered if it was just me; I'm glad someone started a thread addressing this phenomenon.

It does seem true; when you're using daily, you never seem to get sick. I sware I went years without so much as a cold. Consequently, when you stop using you are almost guaranteed to experience some type of illness within a week or two, if you don't start using Opioids again. For example, when I went home for Christmas I left all of my Hydrocodone at my house, and didn't take any for almost two weeks. After about a week and a half, I got a horrible sinus infection and was absolutely miserable for days.

Definitely makes me wonder.

I had horrible sinus infections/strep throat/alergies etc all my life. Started using heroin and never ever got sick. Any time I've managed to be clean, all the allergies and shit come back but as soon as I start using again, no more allergies, throat problems, nothing. I also don't take care of myself at all while using, might eat once or twice a week. I always found it ironic.

Hmm.

I'm leaning more towards you're actually getting sick just like anybody else but the opiates are destroying the symptoms. Oh, how I wish codeine was OTC in the United States.

This is what I assumed is the case. There have been times where I definitely had some symptoms but didn't have that definitive sick feeling... Opiates seem to cause flu symptoms when in withdrawal, so it makes sense that the opposite of this is to not feel sick while on opiates.

Edit- Read thread... this seems to be the consensus answer, then?

haha... I've noticed the same thing with opiate addiction. It seems the only sick we get is: DOPESICK!!

well I can say that when I was using oxy and heroin i never got sick but when i went to jail almost imediately and this is after detoxling I cot a cold like every 2 weeks while i was there

It's almost definitely that the opiates just destroy any symptoms. Opiates definitely alleviate pain, will dry out your nose, relieve coughing, almost all symptoms of the flu/cold.

I'm not sure that it is just hiding the symptoms.....

My whole household has been fighting with a terrible sinus infection that leads to a bad cough for a few weeks. They are all coughing constantly and miserable with bad congestion.

My sinuses are just fine and I haven't coughed at all........I don't know how else I could be the only one without any symptoms except for the drug. None of them use any opiates at all.......

i was doing H and pills for over 30yrs and we talked about this a long time ago.even if you did get sick you can go out and do some dope and bam you feel fine.I mean you can go from your ass is dragin to hay lets do something its realy strange

I still get sick plenty of the time while on opiates, however, if I have good drugs (Opana, oxy, heroin), they will COMPLETELY negate the effects of being sick, even the heavy fatigue I've always gotten from any kind of cold/sinus infection/flu. I'm betting a lot of opiate addicts do in fact get sick, they just don't know it since they stay high most of the time, which completely negates all the ill effects of an illness.

Being one without insurance, before I was hooked on opiates whenever I would get a cold/whatever, I would always just get an OC80 and ride it out for a few days. Opiates have always acted as the best possible cold medicine for me. I'm actually kind of surprised they don't prescribe at least percocets for severe sinus infections. I obviously understand why they don't, but it would be a very effective treatment.

I haven't been sick, other than migraines, for years since taking opiates (mostly subs) daily. It is definitely worth studying in my opinion. We need all the positive news we can get when dealing with opiates.

I definitely agree with Cane and others who have suggested that symptomatic relief is undoubtedly a part of it. It seems the immune system is weakened from using Opioids regularly, and perhaps becomes even weaker once the Opioids are no longer in the body. But it seems there must be some other unknown mechanism behind the "can't get sick on opiates" phenomenon.

I think about this as well. Cannot recall being sick in the years of my abuse either. But its not like its the only thing I cant recall. Large chucks of acute memory are gone with any knowledge of being sick. Opiates have a good way of making days blend into months and so on...

Here's my story. Sorry it's my first post and there's a lot of jargon in it, but I figured this would help people out in determining the affect of opiates, specifically heroin, on the flu and flu-like symptions (not withdrawals or "dope sickness")

I used to be addicted to heroin. For the last 2 and a half years, I've been "clean" on suboxone from my Dr. I have relapsed a few times in the first year or so on Subs, but have been absolutely heroin/opiate free for last 2.5 years out of the or so years that I've been on Subs. I started off at 12mg a day and have managed to taper down to 1mg a day- 0.5 mg in the morning and 0.5mg before bedtime). The reason I say "clean" is that I haven't taken and heroin or other opiates, but I'm still completely dependent on Subs to get me through the day. I experience serious withdrawals if I forget to take my subs before I go to work or go out of the house for the day. Useful tip for those on Subs- try to always keep a few backup pills in your car, wallet, etc for emergencies only.

Anyway, one time when I relapsed about 4 years ago, I came down with flu like symptoms in the morning. I waited a day without any opiates and wanted to see if I was feeling any better in the morning. It got considerably worse in the morning, and at this point, I knew I was coming down with a bad flu, since many of my co-workers were out sick and the flu was traveling around my group of friends pretty quickly. My sister even came down with it, who lived with me, and didn't use any serious drugs besides marijuana. So anyway, I knew it wasn't withdrawals or dope sickness, since this was only a minor relapse with heroin being taken in small amounts-about 1 or 2 small dime bags a day but about once or twice a week for only 2-3 weeks. I used to have a bundle/day habit for a few years. Anyway, my point is I was positive I was coming down with a legit flu, and wasn't dope sick.

Since I felt like ass the next day, and needed to work, I picked up a few cheap dime bags from dude in Brick City, NJ. Immediately after sniffing a few bags, I felt like I normally do after doing a bag of heroin, fucking amazing. None of these flu-like symptoms were bothering me at all, they went away almost instantly. The next day, without taking any dope, I felt 100%. Another point to make that assures it was the flu and not withdrawals was the fact that I didn't use heroin for 3 months after that day, and never felt an ounce of withdrawls or these flu-like symptoms for even one hour after the bags I did.

Anyway, since this is my first post, I just wanted to say that I know what everybody is going through when they speak of heroin and and the good and bad things heroin brings. Even being clean from dope for a few years, I still think about that incredible high and feeling I got from those drugs. I never thought I would make it 2.5 years clean, but I credit that mostly due to Suboxone (which is by no means a "miracle drug" as some users call it, but it definitely saved my life that was going downhill fast.)

Sorry for the babble, hope I didn't bore you all on my first post :)

Maybe the opiate induced histamine release (hence the itching) has something to do with it?