• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

IM'ing done wrong and drawing blood...

no_il

Greenlighter
Hello bluelighters, long time poster who has forgotten his password (haven't been on in a while since I've been sober for the past two years).

Anyways to cut to the chase I'm on testosterone replacement therapy and today for the first time I attempted to administer the medication myself via IM'ing it. First time IM'ing or injecting anything for that matter. I was instructed to pull the plunger once it's in my muscle before I push the plunger to make sure no blood comes out, what happened was that I forgot to do so and after I finished injecting myself I decided to pull on the plunger to make sure I did it right, what happened a lot of blood was pulled back including some of the oily substance I injected.
My question is, does this mean that I accidentally shot up into an artery or vein instead of my muscle? I read online that if I had hit a vein I would experience a lot of coughing and other symptoms I fortunately didn't encounter (although my heart rate went up a lot but that could have been due to being stressed hopefully). Am I going to be alright? Did I waste the medication if I had accidently hit an artery or whatever? Do I need to seek any medical care even if I feel alright?

Thank you for time and input, stay safe!

Is it something your doctor prescribed?

If so call and ask to talk to them or a nurse. You will probably have to wait for a call back but if it's urgent they will do so quickly.

If you have insurance you can also call the number on your card and all to speak to a nurse as they have them available to talk to and ask questions all the time. You may even be able to do the same thing with your local hospital.

I would think the biggest issue is that you will get a spike instead of a more steady release of meds. Really not sure how big an issue it is with testosterone.

Is there a reason they didn't give you the gel?

Out of curiosity, are you on a lot of opiates and for a long time?

They are finding that long term opiate users typically have low testosterone. Mine was low from it and they gave me the gel but I stopped taking it. The stuff flaked off and I didn't like having to sleep in a shirt to try and prevent it from getting in the bed with my girl. I also had a newborn girl and was concerned it might get on her. So I stopped. I have basically stopped opiates except for a couple 4mg dilaudid a day, and just got mine tested again. Haven't gotten the results yet but hopefully it's coming up. My sex drive certainly has to say the least.

Anyways, can't hurt to ask a professional if you can. Good luck and sorry for rambling.