• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Tapering I'm in a world of hell with oxycodone withdrawal. Please help ?

What country are you in @Oxy creeps up?? UK??

I get it a little clearer now, IVF is your main reason for jumping off may I assume? However as you stated, you know about Opioids and how it is not wise to just CT. Also you have access to an amount that you can easily taper with and minimise your mental and physical distress.

I am also baffled when GP’s will dole out the potent narcotics, but are scared beyond belief with the stigma of benzos. I had a silmilar situation a few years ago. My Inflamatory bowel disease was slowly “erasing ME inside and out, with anxiety multiplied by being flooded with high dose prednisone.

Me: Can we discuss a better pain relief plan? Dr: Yeah sure what pick and mix would you like from the sweet shop? Me: This anxiety is getting out of hand, can we try to tackle it please? Dr: Yes of course, would you like 5 2mg Diazepams to last the rest of your life (slight exaggeration)?

Me: Is that some kind of odd joke?
Exactly! I had no idea they were so cautious about benzos. I fully appreciate the seriousness of them but damn opiates in my experience should be treated the same if not more so.

Yes I know. I should have tapered. But again I wanted to be free of them. It's a week tomorrow. I assumed it would be like last time I tapered rapidly but then I was on a different pain med. This time around my pain is so minimal I'm not even needed paracetamol. I'd like to just be off them. They taken over my life in so many ways it's hard to explain. I even stupidly started smoking again after 6 years of quitting because I really enjoyed them when taking the oxycodone. So strange but anyway I just need to be free of them.

Does anyone know how long these acute symptoms can last for? I thought 72 hours was the worst. Does the insomnia ever go away at this almost one week stage ? The sweating? The headaches. The restlessneas

Are you NHS or private? May I ask what your diagnosis is that causes your chronic pain? Do you take any other meds?

I appreciate and respect highly, the determination to just “get rid” and think your doing the right thing that way. However I and hopefully others agree, that a planned and managed reduction even more speedily than a Dr would advise, will be much better for you long term. Obviously if you feel you are over the worst, I am in no way advocating starting again (please recognise that)

Acute symptoms will drop off either one by one or sometimes even collectively. Please be aware of PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) where you have an initial baseline period, where rls has gone, and sweats runny nose, diahorrea etc, with a calmer mental disposition also. But with a latency period it may “confusingly”return in the form mentioned above. Let me know anything else you are worried about.

I can give you some non opioid relievers from experience if so too ?

Any illicit substance charges. It is classified as importation of a banned substance due to It being illegal in the UK and to order into the UK. As far as my research told me?

Oh sorry, I didn't know where you were.

I appreciate and respect highly, the determination to just “get rid” and think your doing the right thing that way. However I and hopefully others agree, that a planned and managed reduction even more speedily than a Dr would advise, will be much better for you long term.

I think so... You wanna be functional.

Are you NHS or private? May I ask what your diagnosis is that causes your chronic pain? Do you take any other meds?

I appreciate and respect highly, the determination to just “get rid” and think your doing the right thing that way. However I and hopefully others agree, that a planned and managed reduction even more speedily than a Dr would advise, will be much better for you long term. Obviously if you feel you are over the worst, I am in no way advocating starting again (please recognise that)

Acute symptoms will drop off either one by one or sometimes even collectively. Please be aware of PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) where you have an initial baseline period, where rls has gone, and sweats runny nose, diahorrea etc, with a calmer mental disposition also. But with a latency period it may “confusingly”return in the form mentioned above. Let me know anything else you are worried about.

I can give you some non opioid relievers from experience if so too ?
I have endometriosis, adenomyosis, interstitial cystitis, scoliosis and osteopenia. I know I should not have done it. I've done it before but had buprenorphine to manage these symptoms for a few days. This is just hell. I went back to bed and woke up 30 mins later swearing and the rls is back again.

I would love to hear of any non opiod relievers!

I'm NHS but can afford to pay privately. There was no point in me getting insurance here after 12 years in Australia with these conditions it was impossible to get cover and my Aus one would not cover what I needed when I transferred it here

@negrogesic Could you elaborate a bit on the seed oil please, what is it’s purpose? ?

It seems to indirectly modulate the opioid system and is a calcium channel blocker, thus it potentiates opioids and lessens withdrawal symptoms. Here is an abstract of a discussion that speaks to its efficacy (which I think is actually rather hyperbolic, but I think there is an element of truth in it), and another that is even moreso. Notice the middle eastern authors -- apparently, the prophet mohammed is quoted as saying something like, "black seed oil can cure anything, except for death", thus muslim academics have taken great interest. I think Mo' was overstating the matter, but certainly does seem to have some utility in this particular application. Who knows, maybe mohammed got a little too familiar with the poppy and needed some assistance...

Years ago I would have called bullshit on these write-ups, but there is something there, and it does give some relief. It does not "cure" opioid addiction as stated in the second one, but it does lessen withdrawal symptoms somewhat and reduce cravings when taken in the long term.

Opioid dependence and substitution therapy: thymoquinone as potential novel supplement therapy for better outcome for methadone maintenance therapy substitution therapy
Liyana Hazwani Mohd Adnan, Nor Hidayah Abu Bakar, and Nasir Mohamad

Additional article information

Abstract
Methadone is widely being used for opioid substitution therapy. However, the administration of methadone to opioid dependent individual is frequently accompanied by withdrawal syndrome and chemical dependency develops. Other than that, it is also difficult to retain patients in the treatment programme making their retention rates are decreasing over time. This article is written to higlights the potential use of prophetic medicines, Nigella sativa, as a supplement for opioid dependent receiving methadone. It focuses on the potential role of N. sativa and its major active compound, Thymoquinone (TQ) as a calcium channel blocking agent to reduce withdrawal syndrome and opioid dependency.

A new and novel treatment of opioid dependence: Nigella sativa 500 mg.
Sangi S, et al. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad. 2008 Apr-Jun.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Opioid dependence is one of the major social and psychiatric problem of society. Unfortunately there is no non opiate treatment available. For centuries man has used plants for their healing proprieties. These plants play a fundamental part in all treatment modalities, both ancient and modern.
METHODS: This study was conducted to find non opiate treatment for opiate withdrawal. Total 35 known addicts of opiates were included in the study. This study was based on DSM IV criteria for opioid dependence.
RESULT: This study demonstrates that non opioid treatment for opioid addiction decreases the withdrawal effects significantly. It further demonstrates that there are no changes in physiological parameters of subjects during treatment (BP, Pulse rate etc.). There is increased appetite but no significant weight gain in the subjects.
CONCLUSION: Non opioid drug Nigella sativa is effective in long-term treatment of opioid dependence. It not merely cures the opioid dependence but also cures the infections and weakness from which majority of addicts suffer.

Last edited:
Oh no, that is allowed. I was referring to the kratom that was suggested

Let me know how the black seed oil works for you. Someone else on here to whom i recommended it told me that it very effective potentiator of oxycodone. I know firsthand that its effective for opioid withdrawal, works especially well for the restlessness and akathisia.

@negrogesic “Who knows, maybe mohammed got a little too familiar with the poppy and needed some assistance...”

Cracking line^ ?

How this place never ceases to amaze me, this particular potentiator has passed me by, which is a very rare thing let me tell you ??. There are still some Kratom shops knocking around SE London, Brixton Peckham and the like, but hey they make their own fucking laws in that jungle. Same with head shops, disgusting Spice and the like in the newsagents next to the Anadin ??.

I won’t go into detail here, but out of dozens I have tried Phenibut with my Longtec (Oxy MR) as is not crushed, and Pregabalin is the best I have ever witnessed. They seem to be identical metabolising times incredible.

One must try some seed oil later today if I can find any out and about!!

Sorry forgot we were talking withdrawal helpers not potentiators initially.

1. Loperamide (dosage depends enquire within)
2. Gabapentin (RlS and fluctuating temp gone)
3. Tianeptine
4. Clonidine
Plenty more if you need em ?

Hello. Late to the gathering.
Hi everyone. I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate this site. I'm sure this has been mentioned a lot. I'm 6 days off oxycodone. It was prescribed. For 2 years on and off but the last 6 months daily. So 100mg of the instant release not the extended one. Technically I was prescribed 60mg but it didn't cover it so I increased myself. I did everything I could to prepare myself. I could tell I was getting psychologically hooked. I've been physically dependant for a while due to long term serious pain. At one stage I was on a total of 140mg between slow release and instant. I got off that with the help of some buprenorphine I had from a previous surgery. This time I only had a small amount.

Anyway I need to know what the hell. Is happening. I stopped on Friday last week. Its not Thursday. I used some of the buprenorphine to get me through. I also had some codiene. I figured that would help. I was in pain and physical withdrawal but last time I only had 3 bad days and was done. I kept taking low dose codeine so say 60mg here and there (for me that's low).

Two nights ago, so night 4, I stopped all the codiene too. Oh my. I was climbing the walls all night. I couldn't lay still. Sitt still. Diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, sweat, heart rate. Complete dissociation. No appetite. I got some valium from my doctor. He gave me 5 2mg. 2mg?‍♀️. They do nothing. Last night again, up all night climbing the walls. Body aching, have to keep moving it. Can't lay or sit still. I acne so close to having one more dose. I didn't. BUT I did have half a tablet of physeptone which I methadone that was prescribed to me by by pain team. Have I ruined all my work. I'd be a week free of opiods tomorrow. Bjy I've taken. 5mg of methdone last night. I just couldn't do another night of insomnia and agony and pacing the halls when I have so much to do today. I don't wnat to take it again. It seemed to help me get to sleep and not twitch so much.

Is it a bad idea to have a half a tablet tonight again only of the physical withdrawals are severe? Thanks so much if you read this far

IMO, if you need methadone, cut that pill in half, You want to eliminate using that when possible. Volumetric dosing would be great. Take your time coming off codeine if it messes you up. If you can get your hands on pregabalin and/or gabapentin that would help. The pregabalin would elicit Its best effects now, IMO. Gabapentin works well also, but I'm being technical here. Use ether one.

Again, its best to get it over with and taper off or just stop using methadone. Lopermide is another one that light amounts only if you needed it . Find some
dank herb. I came off a prescribed Oxymorphone habit with a 120/ 5/325 apap pills in ten days. A respectable amount of canabis greatly helped me either not feel or care and eased my pain.

Let me know how the black seed oil works for you. Someone else on here to whom i recommended it told me that it very effective potentiator of oxycodone. I know firsthand that its effective for opioid withdrawal, works especially well for the restlessness and akathisia.
I will. I am so excited to try. I found a local store that sells it too. The restlessness and akathisia are what are bothering me the most. Today I woke up flu like again. Every bone aching. But it eased as the morning went on. Thanks so much for this suggestion

What country are you in @Oxy creeps up?? UK??

I get it a little clearer now, IVF is your main reason for jumping off may I assume? However as you stated, you know about Opioids and how it is not wise to just CT. Also you have access to an amount that you can easily taper with and minimise your mental and physical distress.

I am also baffled when GP’s will dole out the potent narcotics, but are scared beyond belief with the stigma of benzos. I had a silmilar situation a few years ago. My Inflamatory bowel disease was slowly “erasing ME inside and out, with anxiety multiplied by being flooded with high dose prednisone.

Me: Can we discuss a better pain relief plan? Dr: Yeah sure what pick and mix would you like from the sweet shop? Me: This anxiety is getting out of hand, can we try to tackle it please? Dr: Yes of course, would you like 5 2mg Diazepams to last the rest of your life (slight exaggeration)?

Me: Is that some kind of odd joke?
I had to respond to you with my doctors most recent comment to me.

"I am willing to give you a very limited dose of diazepam for this purpose but due to the serious addiction properties I won't prescribe it again. So I've dispensed five 5 mgs.

Then he says, and I SHIT YOU NOT" I got your pain teams letter, do you need any more of the 10mg oxycodone or the 20mg ones? If you do please let me know and I'll dispense them before the weekend".

I just told him I went cold turkey on them. I have told him for months I hate being on them. I even told him I was completely physically dependent on them as I was getting withdrawals in the night if I didn't take a dose soon enough. So his response then was to start me on the slow release ones at 50mg at night and am.

Someone tell me how this makes sense. I wnat to scream. They are happy for me to stay on pain meds forever but god forbid I need a small amount of a relaxant help with withdrawals from an admittedly poor choice of my own

Hello. Late to the gathering.

IMO, if you need methadone, cut that pill in half, You want to eliminate using that when possible. Volumetric dosing would be great. Take your time coming off codeine if it messes you up. If you can get your hands on pregabalin and/or gabapentin that would help. The pregabalin would elicit Its best effects now, IMO. Gabapentin works well also, but I'm being technical here. Use ether one.

Again, its best to get it over with and taper off or just stop using methadone. Lopermide is another one that light amounts only if you needed it . Find some
dank herb. I came off a prescribed Oxymorphone habit with a 120/ 5/325 apap pills in ten days. A respectable amount of canabis greatly helped me either not feel or care and eased my pain.
Thank you. I didn't use it last night. I want to be clear of it all. I can't ask for any of those meds you described. My pain team have instructed I am only prescribed oxycodone in whatever dosage I see fit for the level of my pain. So they won't give me anything else. I'm going to try a few things suggested here that I can access. I can't smoke cannabis. Makes me so so paranoid. I have tried smoking a pure cbd joint and that actually helped my body sensations.

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm so glad you got off them

Wow, this thread really popped off.

I'm happy for you oxy, good luck.
Honestly I am so so grateful. A few comments from some posts were swimming in my head last night when I felt like I was dying. It made my night more bearable to know it will end and others have done it and it's hell but it's hell that will pass.

I am still not sure how to use the site properly haha but I will keep trying.

I am so grateful for everyone here. Every comment has meant so much to during this horrific time

Oh dear, sounds bad. May I ask why not tapper down with oxy? I get it and all but too much stress is very bad... like burnout or anxiety depression etc could creep up. But each to his own. like mentioned diazepam, pregabalin, loperamide. But for the Actual problem at hand its way to complicated to explain. You would need an alpha-2-adrenergic antagonist to get rid of the symptoms, and AFAIK they mostly experimental. They are linked to opiate receprptos all over the body and surrounding veins etc which cause dramatic effects like shivering hot/cold showers. many sources: https://scholar.google.de/scholar?q...ithdrawal&hl=de&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart

quote "
Abstract
α2-Adrenoceptor agonists potentiate opioid analgesia and alleviate opioid withdrawal. The effects of two α2-adrenoceptor agonists, clonidine (2 mg/kg) and dexmedetomidine (20 and 100 μg/kg), and the α1-adrenoceptor antagonist prazosin(0.5 mg/kg) were tested on morphine analgesia, tolerance, and withdrawal in wild-type and α2A-adrenoceptor knock-out (KO) mice. Analgesia and tolerance were assessed with the tail-flick test. Withdrawal was precipitated with naloxone. Prazosin potentiated morphine analgesia equally in both genotypes. Clonidine and dexmedetomidine had no analgesic effects in α2A-adrenoceptor KO mice, but morphine analgesia and tolerance were similar in both genotypes. α2A-Adrenoceptor KO mice exhibited 70% fewer naloxone-precipitated jumps than wild-type mice; weight loss was similar in both genotypes. The α2-adrenoceptor agonists reduced opioid withdrawal signs only in wild-type mice. We conclude that α2A-adrenoceptors are not directly involved in morphine analgesia and tolerance, and not critical for potentiation of morphine analgesia by prazosin, but that α2A-adrenoceptors modulate the expression of opioid withdrawal signs in mice.
" unqoute

What kicked the thread of so hard was that most people i guess have been there, either a doctor who wont give you shit, and the other one whos like "merry christmas, some oxy some hydromrphone ..."

The thing with our gp’s they have forgot what it is like to be thinking outside of the box, have authority and use it, or have time to think of us other than a number on today’s “patient” list.

Like you my Gastro consultant is confident to supply whatever I need, he would more than likely supply benzos if he agrees I need them. The only good thing there is, the gp then has to obey it.

50mg Oxy MR? 40 and a 10?