• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

I'm going to the doctor for prozac

BlueNakedLady

Bluelighter
I finally have realized I have depression. I'm 17 by the way. I have been doing about 2 pills every month for about 3 months and the depression gets worse. The last time I dropped was 3 days ago and now i'm more depressed than I've ever been. I'm almost positive its the pills..

So I'm considering going to my doctor to get some prozac but I don't know what to say to him except I have depression. If he ask me questions, should I tell him the truth about it or just say it just happened? Will they be able to do any tests to see if my serotonin is low and realize that I been doing drugs?

I guess im just worried that the doctor might know i've been doing E thats why i'm depressed.
wHAT Should I expect if I go to the doctor?

I don't think there's any way for them to tell you've been using MDxx if it's not still in your system. That said, I would try taking a long break from pills before risking becoming dependant on prozac.

If taking E makes your depression worse I would stop doing it as soon as possible. Hang out with your friends, laugh alot, touch and be touched and just try to see the bright side of life.

Trentonian said:
If taking E makes your depression worse I would stop doing it as soon as possible. Hang out with your friends, laugh alot, touch and be touched and just try to see the bright side of life.

I've told myself I'm not gonna be doing E anymore for a very long time but I know I will still be depressed for months still.

If I go to the doctor, do they keep their information from me confidential from my parents?

If you think the E is the cause of the depression, why would chucking an entirely different drug at it help? Surely you'd be better off stopping the E for a while, taking some 5-HTP to help repair any damage, and seeing what happens?
Have you had full blood tests done to test for any vitamin/mineral deficiencies? Those could cause depression, and could also be caused/worsened by rolling & therefore not eating properly.

What will happen when you see the doctor will largely depend where you live. You may be asked no questions & given pills like candy, you may be put on a mile long list to see a shrink first. I would doubt very much they'll ask much about drug use unless you bring it up.
Either way though, Prozac is NOT a miracle cure, and is more likely to just throw you into a functional state of constant okness, at best, rather than having a properly working brain capable of all emotions. If you've pinpointed the worsening of the problem as being E, sort that out, get back to a manageable level & then look at what's going on/been going on in your life to cause this.
(Yeah, i'm biased. I'm pretty anti these things. They can help, but they're not the magic cure all so many people seem to think..)

IzaBadger! said:
If you think the E is the cause of the depression, why would chucking an entirely different drug at it help? Surely you'd be better off stopping the E for a while, taking some 5-HTP to help repair any damage, and seeing what happens?
Have you had full blood tests done to test for any vitamin/mineral deficiencies? Those could cause depression, and could also be caused/worsened by rolling & therefore not eating properly.

What will happen when you see the doctor will largely depend where you live. You may be asked no questions & given pills like candy, you may be put on a mile long list to see a shrink first. I would doubt very much they'll ask much about drug use unless you bring it up.
Either way though, Prozac is NOT a miracle cure, and is more likely to just throw you into a functional state of constant okness, at best, rather than having a properly working brain capable of all emotions. If you've pinpointed the worsening of the problem as being E, sort that out, get back to a manageable level & then look at what's going on/been going on in your life to cause this.
(Yeah, i'm biased. I'm pretty anti these things. They can help, but they're not the magic cure all so many people seem to think..)

I've been mildly depressed before taking E but never realized that until I was high on E. So then I kept taking more E and became more depressed. I've been refecting on why i'm so depressed but its something I proablaly cant change even if I stopped using E completly. I've been thinking about going to the doctor weeks ago and getting medication and my parents already made an appointment for me in a couple days.
I just feel like I have no serotonin left because of the symtoms (depression, eating, sleeping, memory, thinking) so I'm guessing takin a drug that helps with serotonin will be the answer.

/\ Only if you have the seretonin there for it to act on. If your seretonin is depleted from doing pills, and you haven't been eating or sleeping well, there's not a lot to act on. I'd seriously recommend just getting healthier before trying anything else.
And have you ever seen a psychiatrist/councillor/anything? I just don't know how much evidence there is (and feel free to prove me wrong) on this whole 'chemical imbalance' thing..it's something i used to believe heavily in, just because depression can feel so totally reasonless, and all these things like eating better, and talking about it, and 'ooh, you're a teenager, of course you're moody!' seem so patronising and fucking stupid, but they all seem to hold true for me these days...i just think that having your thoughts CONSTANTLY skewed by chemicals really shouldn't be the first thing to try out :\

yes seriously don't take prozac or serotonin "medication"..

the psychiatrists will be more than happy to give you some prescription drugs; they have been brainwashed to sell them in numbers.

pills don't cure depression, they just mask the symptom... it's better to heal depression by localizing the root of the problem and healing it there.

use prozac or xanax only as a last option,

quit using all drugs (including weed if you do) and use 5-htp for a little while (but don't do too much)... this will bring back serotonin in your brain.

try do some sports this is good for mental health

and perhaps try this course in happiness , see if it something for you :)

good luck

brayne said:
yes seriously don't take prozac or serotonin "medication"..

the psychiatrists will be more than happy to give you some prescription drugs; they have been brainwashed to sell them in numbers.

pills don't cure depression, they just mask the symptom... it's better to heal depression by localizing the root of the problem and healing it there.

use prozac or xanax only as a last option,

quit using all drugs (including weed if you do) and use 5-htp for a little while (but don't do too much)... this will bring back serotonin in your brain.

try do some sports this is good for mental health

and perhaps try this course in happiness , see if it something for you :)

good luck

If I go to the doctor, can I ask for 5-htp because i'm feeling depressed and he will prescribe them for me?

5-htp is a legal herb that can be bought of the net...

it is good to restore serotonin levels, but if i remember correctly it is unhealthy to do it every day for a long period of time...

and don't let the doctor manipulate you into taking his pills... because it's easy to fall for the trap and believe doctors know better than amateurs like us.

pills are only a solution to people with a problem in their brain who can't produce enough serotonin naturally (or something like that) ...

longterm usage of serotonin medication like prozac can be damaging to people who don't really need them.. (=most people who take them)

BlueNakedLady said:
If I go to the doctor, can I ask for 5-htp because i'm feeling depressed and he will prescribe them for me?
from personal experience, most doctors dont like being told to script specific medication from a patient, unless the patient has been scripted the medication before. raises suspicions. BUT on your case, 5htp is not abusable, so it will probably be okay.

brayne said:
5-htp is a legal herb that can be bought of the net...

it is good to restore serotonin levels, but if i remember correctly it is unhealthy to do it every day for a long period of time...

and don't let the doctor manipulate you into taking his pills... because it's easy to fall for the trap and believe doctors know better than amateurs like us.

pills are only a solution to people with a problem in their brain who can't produce enough serotonin naturally (or something like that) ...

longterm usage of serotonin medication like prozac can be damaging to people who don't really need them.. (=most people who take them)

How would I know if I needed them or not? I've just been feeling depressed for a very long time. How would doctors diagonose if you really need them or your just feeling depressed for some reason? I have medicare BTW so it wouldnt hurt my parents wallet if I'm prescribed some.

BlueNakedLady said:
How would I know if I needed them or not? I've just been feeling depressed for a very long time. How would doctors diagonose if you really need them or your just feeling depressed for some reason? I have medicare BTW so it wouldnt hurt my parents wallet if I'm prescribed some.
what is a very long time? months, years?

i think if there's something wrong in your brain so that u need ssri's, you might have been depressed for your whole life..... or since puberty... I don't know really =D

please read the replies in this thread again if you still thinking about doing meds. no offense but to me it sounds like you looking for a quick fix to relieve your depression...

but the quick fix (prozac) will only mask it and eventually make it worse.

depression is the result of negative thoughts, change your mind and the rest will follow...

my apologies if prozac would turn out to be the only effective cure for you, but i strongly believe it would do you more harm than good.

Last edited:
brayne said:
what is a very long time? months, years?

i think if there's something wrong in your brain so that u need ssri's, you might have been depressed for your whole life..... or since puberty... I don't know really =D

please read the replies in this thread again if you still thinking about doing meds. no offense but to me it sounds like you looking for a quick fix to relieve your depression...

but the quick fix (prozac) will only mask it and eventually make it worse.

depression is the result of negative thoughts, change your mind and the rest will follow...

my apologies if prozac would turn out to be the only effective cure for you, but i strongly believe it would do you more harm than good.

Have you ever been on anit-depressents before to say that?

i would wait a little bit, since you JUST dropped pills a few days ago. if you have been doing them consistently for a while, you haven't given your brain enough time to fully recover. try to wait two or three months, if you feel like you need some help then go to a psychologist and just talk to them. there is such a thing as patient confidentiality, you won't get in trouble. at least that's how it works in minnesota, if you are in the states i'm pretty sure it's the same way. don't worry about that, the more information they know the better they can help you.
i would have to agree with not trying anti depressants right away. i have always felt depressed since i was a small child, it got drastically worse after i started rolling although i wasn't doing it that often. I tried anti depressants and they just made it worse. it was awful. i found that talking to a counselor at my school helped me more than anything. and so did some lifestyle changes. i stopped taking anti depressants, i still roll quite often and i still feel some depression but i wouldn't go back to meds unless i had no other option.
5-htp isn't going to hurt you, try that for a little while :)

heidibear said:
i would wait a little bit, since you JUST dropped pills a few days ago. if you have been doing them consistently for a while, you haven't given your brain enough time to fully recover. try to wait two or three months, if you feel like you need some help then go to a psychologist and just talk to them. there is such a thing as patient confidentiality, you won't get in trouble. at least that's how it works in minnesota, if you are in the states i'm pretty sure it's the same way. don't worry about that, the more information they know the better they can help you.
i would have to agree with not trying anti depressants right away. i have always felt depressed since i was a small child, it got drastically worse after i started rolling although i wasn't doing it that often. I tried anti depressants and they just made it worse. it was awful. i found that talking to a counselor at my school helped me more than anything. and so did some lifestyle changes. i stopped taking anti depressants, i still roll quite often and i still feel some depression but i wouldn't go back to meds unless i had no other option.
5-htp isn't going to hurt you, try that for a little while :)

Then what are anti depressants for if they dont treat depression? you were prabably using it wrong because you have to be on it everyday for like a year and if you stop before that you'll get more depressed and get suicidle. And also when you first start taking it you will feel more depressed because the drug wont work until about 4 weeks so maybe that's why you felt more depressed. source: http://www.prozac.com/index.jsp

BlueNakedLady said:
Have you ever been on anit-depressents before to say that?

I can't say for Brayne, but I can tell you that I have (several periods over the course of 25 years) and that all Brayne is saying is correct.

SSRI's are not the answer. They do not stop depression. They might provide a window of opportunity during which you are able to change habitual thought processes which are, most probably, the cause of your depression.

If you would like some recommendations of non-drug 'treatments' for depression, please PM me.

Good luck - I do understand how awful depressions can be - but, believe me, it can be beaten.

BlueNakedLady said:
Then what are anti depressants for if they dont treat depression? you were prabably using it wrong because you have to be on it everyday for like a year and if you stop before that you'll get more depressed and get suicidle. And also when you first start taking it you will feel more depressed because the drug wont work until about 4 weeks so maybe that's why you felt more depressed. source: http://www.prozac.com/index.jsp

I really wouldn't be looking on Prozac's own homepage for an honest, unbiased view on these things..
(And as Fishface said, i can't speak for everyone else, but my opinion on these things is through personal experience. I've been on 4 different ones, all for reasonable amounts of time (except the last one, which was just too horrible to put up with), and like you i'd been depressed pretty much as long as i could remember. All they ever were for me was a quick fix to temporarily wipe out emotions, you've gotta work out past problems & sort out negative thinking, have a brain you can happily live in for the rest of your life, not one that's just chemically censored into okness..)

ARE YOU CRAZY?!!

LISTEN, IF YOUR SAYING THE DEPRESSION IS THE RESULT OF DOING PILLS THEN THE ANSWER IS NOT PROZAC ITS STOPPING DOING PILLS.

STOP THE PILLS AND AFTER 3 MONTHS IF YOU STILL FEEL BAD LOOK AT THERAPY ETC, BELIEVE ME SSRI'S ARE NOT THE ANSWER AND COME WITH A LOT OF SIDE EFFECT THAT ARE ACTUALLY QUITE SIMILAR TO THE SIDE EFFECTS OF PILLS.

IF YOU ARE DEPRESSED BECAUSE YOUR DOING TOO MANY PILLS THEN STOP AND RE ASSESS AFTER A FEW MONTHS. IT TAKE TIME FOR YOUR BRAIN TO RECOVER, IT WONT BE OVER NIGHT. MY BRAINS FRYING FROM DOING TOO MANY (5+ PILLS EVERY WEEKEND SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR). IVE GOT MYSELF SO BAD BEFORE THAT I COULDNT EVEN LEAVE THE HOUSE AND STARTED HAVING PANIC ATTACKS, BUT I NEVER TURNED BACK TO DRUGS. YOU NEED A BREAK, 3 SQUARE MEALS A DAY AND LOTS OF REST.

YOU'LL BE OK. WATCH PLENTY OF COMEDYS/LAUGH WITH FRIENDS/ DO THINGS THAT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE NECESSARILY HAVE DONE BEFORE CHANGE YOUR LIFESTLE A BIT.

sorry about the caps but i felt i needed to get that across... this is a harm reduction site afterall.

God, there is so much bullshit in this thread.

A) Do take at least 3 months off the pills before you take SSRIs.

B) Generally tell the doctor the truth the whole time

C) Most psychiatrists recieve almost no encouragement to sell pharmaceuticals

D) SSRIs can be great, they can be bad. Get the dose regiem right and the side effects are usually minimal.