• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

If alcohol had always been illegal, would it be classified as a "hard drug?"

it's almost killed me many times/ thought my mind was gone for good in withdrawles for days in end,
as I sip my drink

Yes, ooh look, the government are uneducated money grabbing cunts, well fuck me sideways what a surprise!!! Lol

LEGALIZE KETAMINE 😝😋😁

Alcohol is definitely a hard drug. If it's not then the term hard drug becomes very arbitrary.

I mean what is a hard drug? Id say a hard drug is one that is addictive and can cause severe withdrawal.

So Marijuana isn't a hard drug, and neither is most psychedelics. But heroin,L and amphetamines are.
And alcohol is definitely on the hard drug side of that definition.

almost any drug can get hard weed edibles can get couch locked borderline psyadelic,
and wrong mindset can get hard with trips,
alchol makes me my alter ego

Not sure if Big Pharma agrees but I get that sentiment (and sympathise with it) ...

Yeah alcohol is very bad when abused, in fact it's probably one of the worst drugs to abuse. But otherwise I think it's pretty forgiving as far as hard drugs go (to the average person).

- It's not that psychologically addictive to most people (Though I think many hard drugs also share this point, it's just that problematic users are more visible). Plus it gives you a hangover, so most sensible people avoid drinking too much or multiple days in a row.

- You can drink moderate amounts everyday without getting dependent, try doing that with other downers.

- Despite being highly toxic in high amounts, it's not that bad if you only have a couple of drinks. Also the toxicity is mostly due its metabolism into acetaldehyde, if you drink slowly and get proper nutrition you might be able to avoid the accumulation of acetaldehyde (don't have any data on this at hand but I'd think it would significantly reduce the hepatotoxicity).

Just sharing those points to balance out the discussion a bit. On the other hand alcohol also has a pretty negative impact on society and it's one of the only drugs known to make people violent.

Last edited:
spiritus contra spiritum

high spirit against low spirit

The highest spiritual experience to counter the most depraving of poisons.

The denial which comes with being alcohol dependent leaves very little room for a rational appraisal of a situation.

Last edited:
I guess hard and soft referring to drugs are sort of arbitrary terms, since they seem to mean something different everywhere. If I follow the idea that hard means easy to abuse and soft means less harmful, I'd say something like this:
Marijuana, hash - hard
Tobacco - soft (I sniff it.)
Ethanol (alcohol) - hard
Methamphetamine, MD(M)A - soft
Cocaine - hard
LSD - hard
Opiates, opioids - soft

People might be like what? That's how it is for me but you could be different. I did also consider culture and different aspects of harm. Methamphetamine, cocaine and opiates are easy for me to use without repercussion. I know I said cocaine is a hard drug but strictly due to it being bad for the heart

Alcohol is also the only drug that seems to make a lot of people consistently more aggressive. I've seen people get combative on other substances, but it's sporadic and usually coupled with a freakout (Even PCP). Whereas alcohol can make certain people outright mean and looking to fight almost every time they take it.

Couple that with benzo levels of recklessness when fully shit-faced and it really can bring out the worst in people in a way few other substances can.

it was hard to quit heroin, which was hell, but compared to quiting alcohol, i realized there must be a hell below hell

I guess hard and soft referring to drugs are sort of arbitrary terms, since they seem to mean something different everywhere. If I follow the idea that hard means easy to abuse and soft means less harmful, I'd say something like this:
Marijuana, hash - hard
Tobacco - soft (I sniff it.)
Ethanol (alcohol) - hard
Methamphetamine, MD(M)A - soft
Cocaine - hard
LSD - hard
Opiates, opioids - soft

People might be like what? That's how it is for me but you could be different. I did also consider culture and different aspects of harm. Methamphetamine, cocaine and opiates are easy for me to use without repercussion. I know I said cocaine is a hard drug but strictly due to it being bad for the heart
I agree with sum meth to me is hard 1. off and I'm a wreck, n mdma is hard in my book if to push it to the limit, my 2 cents

Yeah alcohol is a bitch.

I would imagine so. It is very intoxicating, leads to aggression, and has a terrible withdrawal.

If a drug has a withdrawal that can literally kill you, it would be a hard drug in my eyes.