• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

I Like to Draw Pictures of Random Molecules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can acetone be synthesized with hydrochloric acid isopropyl alcohol and benzene then neutralizing the phenol with sodium hydroxide?

No, acetone won't be obtained, nor will phenol form from these reagents. To obtain acetone from isopropanol you need an oxidant.

OHlRwEc.png

GBF0Wvv.png

Dopamine-NBOMe, Epinephrine-NBOMe

AFAIK, this has never been done before? I don't have too solid of an understanding how it would work, but would either?

OHlRwEc.png

GBF0Wvv.png

Dopamine-NBOMe, Epinephrine-NBOMe

AFAIK, this has never been done before? I don't have too solid of an understanding how it would work, but would either?

What are you going for, 5-ht2a or their usual receptors like D2 and alpha-adreno?

Could it have affinity for both? Or do the SARs not work in that manner? Doesn't 25I have strong affinity for both serotonin and dopamine? I have a very limited knowledge of all this stuff though.

Could it have affinity for both?

Yes, they have the hydroxys in the right places and are also at least secondary amines, so they might also hit their "usual" receptors.

---

I wonder if something piperidine-like could work at 5-ht2a:

CWEHhc0.png

Or more nbome-like:

5JwJqXR.png

The distance from the nitrogen to the benzene ring should be in the ballpark of ~5 angstroms* which is the basic pharmacophore for pretty much all 5-ht receptors (unsurprisingly, since the unselective 5-ht receptor agonist serotonin has the same basic pharmacophore, with an additional 5-hydroxy and the Pyrrole, which both have the effects of primarily increasing the intrinsic activity at 5-ht2a and secondarily also increasing the affinity).

But I actually don't think that a high intrinsic activity is necessary (look e.g. at LSD which has a rather low IA and it's still one of the best)

* compare e.g. to serotonin and escpecially the conformationally restrained LSD, which is clearly showing both the optimal orientation of the conformationally flexible aminoethyl side chain of serotonin and also the optimal distance between the center of the aromatic ring and the nitrogen atom, which is pretty much exactly 5 angstroms. Note that the aminoethyl side chain of serotonin is flexible enough to create distances of 5 up to even more than 6 angstroms , which shows the importance of a conformationally restrained molecule like LSD in showing that the most efficient pharmacophore has a distance of pretty much exactly 5 angstroms!

I'm only beginning to take organic chemistry this semester -- does the halogen (iodine in this case) affect the distance between the nitrogen and the benzene?

Do you think that the dopa/epine-NBOMe molecules would be able to cross the BBB? And would they have psychoactive effects?

I'd really like to be able to learn more to better understand what you were just talking about with pharmacophores and conformational restraining, do you have any suggestions?

Sorry for all these questions haha, I really find all this stuff super interesting.

if you can buy 2-propanol, how on earth are you not able to get acetone? the oxidizing agents needed to oxidize isopropyl alcohol are certainly harder to get (toxic stuff like chromium compounds) than acetone itself which is a pretty standard solvent.

ps if your friend is "in organic chemistry", he should know this because this is something you learn in the first few lectures of any elementary OC class...

sounds to me like you wanna do some shady kitchen one pot drug synthesis without any chemistry knowledge and experience whatsoever. please don't get yourself or other people hurt or killed...

Last edited:
also in the halform reaction is acetone produced as a byproduct of chlorination of the isopropyl alcohol

Hypochlorite may oxidise isopropanol to acetone but it sure won't be selective. The haloform reaction on isopropanol would actually lead to chloroform and sodium acetate.

The problem with synthetic methods to make acetone from isopropanol at home is that you almost certainly need compounds that are much harder to get than plain old acetone. You could use Jones reagent (chromic acid in water) but that requires conc. sulfuric acid and sodium or potassium dichromate (& distillation setup to purify the resulting pdt). Swern needs dry ice and DMSO/oxalyl chloride. Hypochlorite is not selective. Classical dehydrogenation catalysts all need vapor phase reactions. etc.

If you don't have time to learn these things on your own, why would you expect anyone to spoon feed you and hold your hand?

YIAcgjs.png

Never seen or heard of any 25x beta ketone analogs, have they been tried before?

Also, why aren't there really any analogs of cathinone or just any phenethylamine with different beta substituents?

Sorry, I poorly worded what I meant -- other than that beta-methoxy, there doesn't ever really seem to be anything besides ketones on the beta position. Is there any particular reason? I've seen a couple beta hydroxys, that beta methoxy, and that's about it beyond ketones.

also in the esterfication process of ethyl acatate would 5% acetic acid work and would hydrochloric acid work as a catylist?

Regardless, it's off-topic and not appropriate for this thread.
I think this one would be a bit more suitable, if you try to keep questions in one post (edit, don't make new posts too much): http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...mistry-Pharmacology-Odds-N-Ends-Thread-Part-3
...But still barely depending on how synthy your questions are and how many questions you can fit in your "one-off". There is chemistry involved in this forum, plenty of it... but I've never known it to be the place to ask pure chemistry or synth questions one after another unless on-topic to some thread. Making acetone is hardly on-topic to anything... this is a drug harm reduction site. :)
There are entirely other dedicated chemistry fora for pure chem or synthy stuff. The point is that normally such questions are ultimately relevant to drugs and how they work or are made, so it can easily arrive at synthesis discussion which is not allowed (some harmless parts are condoned only in certain context). If not, then typically people are recommended to follow more proper ways of education, for the sake of everyone.

It's not up to me though to what extent the questions are welcome or where but not in this thread please. thnx

Last edited:
Maybe as a sort of hexylpropine / aminorex analogue with aromatic alpha substitution and cyclization (so conformational rigidity)?
2-DPMP / pipradrole / prolintane analogies are even more remote but who knows it might fit the pharmacophore for DRI activity..
Is my guess

That's super cool I drew something loosely related, I didn't have any particular thought process or intuition in drawing that!

I'm about a month into my first OChem course, is aromatic alpha substitution just a substitution of an aromatic ring on the alpha position? With conformational rigidity, would that be like axial/equatorial orientation?

cI2keNT.png

4-nitrile-phenethylamine

Vuzc7QI.png

4-nitroso-phenethylamine
qB43nLw.png

4-sulfinyl-phenethylamine
MyjfzXn.png

3,4-sulfoxyl-phenethylamine (is that the correct nomenclature?)
Would that be active or is it too bulky do you guys think?
nvjYIBN.png

Xenethylamine? xenylethylamine/4-phenyl-phenethylamine

CNLkXPl.png

byHXUdB.png

Cyclic variants of caffeine, would either of these have any activity do you guys think?

XzTynMc.png

MDMA analog of lorcaserin, a 5HT2C agonist with affinity for 5HT2A as well

uke4rGw.png

Lorcaserin-NBOMe, unless I am misunderstanding, this would work, no?

7yTXfrD.png

Lorcaserin-NBOH (same manner of thinking behind the previous analog)

yoOi8sg.png

Lorcaserin-NBMD
hX5csAW.png

Lorcaserin-NBF

lmSjRrC.png

PNU-181731-NBOMe (what a mouthful)
MlbcNdt.png

PNU-181731-NBOH
uz0J5Ho.png

PNU-181731-NBMD
nEvhwZf.png

PNU-181731-NBF

Last edited:
hpisE8c.png

2CB-Lorcaserin hybrid, am I wrong in thinking that since they bind to the same receptors they should have similar patterns?

Xt2f6mB.png

Have silicon derivatives ever been made of psychoactive drugs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.