• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I got my conservative mom to use Kratom for her strange medical condition and she said it was a life saver! Recommendations for most effective usage?

downfallin

Bluelighter
(Back story)​
I have been a chronically relapsing heroic addict for 10 years now. My mom, (an extremely conservative Christian nurse) has witnessed me battle and attempted to step in between me and my opioid centered demons for a long time now. She has developed an extreme hatred towards the ever so seductive poppy and it’s close friends. This makes it all the more mind boggling that she gave the kratom a shot at all.

For the past year I have moved back in with my parents and got on Suboxone maintenance after relapsing and getting fired from an amazing job being a drug and alcohol counselor at a non twelve step, holistic drug treatment center. (Think narconon-esque)

(My mom’s condition)​
My mother has been struggling with being mis-diagnosed over and over for an excruciating condition that has drastically affected her quality of life. This condition attacked her nail beds and caused her fingernails to fall out as it envelops her hands. She describes the condition as painful, thorny roots that spread throughout her hand pulling tightly underneath her skin. She describes the feeling of suffering with this condition as wearing a glove that was two sizes too small made of spurs.

(Doctor’s recommended treatment)​
Recently, she found a doctor who took a sample of the infected cells on her fingers and recommended an unorthodox treatment that is most commonly used to treat AIDS patients. The treatment involves growing a painful bacteria culture on her hip, giving her body enough time to recognize it as a threat, then applying the bacteria to her already painful and infected fingers so that her immune system will rev up its engines and start mass producing T- cells to attack every intruder in her hands.

(Her progress)​
She spent the first night after applying the culture groaning in agony. The next morning her fingers were swelling to a dangerous degree as she now had her wedding ring stuck under flesh that looked close to the blueberry girl from “Willy Wanka’s Chocolate Factory”. The doctor prescribed her Tylenol 3’s which weren’t helping much.

I decided to step in. I had heard of how great kratom was for pain relief as well as treating opioid addiction, despite being more structurally similar to the caffeine molecule than any sort of opiate. It was my mom’s birthday so I decided what the hell, if she rejects the offer then at least I tried to help somehow.

To my surprise after explaining a bit about it and telling her that it could be dependence forming, she gratefully accepted. I had gotten her a bottle of around 70 250 mg Bali Gold Kratom.

(Kratom’s effect and main point)​
She said that the pain went away to the point that she thought she was healed at first! Mom mom states that she didn’t feel “drugged” and had a relaxed energy to go along with the pain relief. She said that she could now get through the procedure as she was thinking of abandoning it despite it giving her the best results to date. I explained that there may be better strains for pain but she seemed a bit skeptical about going to a stronger strain. I told her I would do some research and attempt to find her the best strain and dosage that won’t get her dependent (or minimize withdrawal) and let her know.

I know this was extremely long but I wanted to share this story as the doctors still don’t seem to know exactly what’s going on as she has suffered with this condition for about 3 years now with no relief for support. I also wanted to share a positive kratom success story as I believe that it has been extremely helpful. If anyone has any recommendations about better kratom strains and dosage or has suffered anything similar please leave a comment! Thanks bluelighters!

That's great! I take it for mood/anxiety. Red vein strains are supposed to be the best as far as pain relief.

Sorry I don't know much about Kratom, but congrats, downfallin! That's awesome news about your mom! :)