• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I cant find a Doctor to help me taper my benzos

rsandoval89

Greenlighter
So i have been taking up to two MG's of kilonopin on and off for up to three years.
everytime i try to stop taking it i got through horrific withdrawl i mean this shit makes Opiate and Alcohol addicts look like Roses.

I mean now stop Migraine head aches, Anxiety all the time, i feel like im drowning all the time. shaky constant no sleep for days and when i do horrific nightmares.

I went to a detox were they used phenobarbital to try and get me off and it did not work.

i feel like im going to have a seizure almost everyday.

Doctors including my on psych refuse to help, they say its all in my head.

I feel like im straight up fucked, ive been to two GP's, two psychiatrist, and no one wants to help me taper.

I cant afford to go to detox.

Can anyone find a doctor that could help me in <snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think youre in any real danger. Benzo withdrawal is fucking shit. Dont drink alcohol.

Only you know your body though. The best course of action would be to go to the ER. They wont help you ween, but they will make sure you dont die.

Other than that you would have tk keep doctor shopping. Im amazed your psych didnt give you gabapentin. Its a pretty benign drug and most will prescribe it.

Wierd they wouldn't taper you espcially since ya been on them for years, atleast you weren't on a high dose like say 4-6mg. But seems like they woulda slowly dropped you, why are they not tapering you? If you feel you need to and no Dr. will help(go to a few) just get them off the street if you can.

I dunno, I worked out a taper schedule with my doc.....I was on 8mg xanax a day. I think you can go up in dose faster on xanax because of the short half life...but I feel for you. Benzo withdrawal is no joke. I was down to six mg...then tuesday I halved it. It was pretty hard to handle at first....He gave me .5mg pills three times a day and 30mg temazepam three times a day. If I am feeling adjusted to this dose in a couple weeks we will drop another .25mg.

you should look up the ashton manual. You may be able to taper this yourself. It takes discipline and a whole lot of dealing with being uncomfortable. I cold turkeyed a 15+ year opiate addiction.....and I am truly afraid of the detox from benzos....be safe, and if you start thinking you can't take it go to the ER.

dude, i was on 2 mgs every day for many many years.... and every time i stopped i never had any withdrawals.... i think your addiciton is in your head

I dunno, were you using other drugs as well motive? Alcohol, gabapentin, and dissociatives will help stop benzo withdrawals.

Wow what are the chances someone else lives in Ventura county I do too... Message me dude I can help you I'm in the same boat

Emergency room is far from cheap, but it's a guaranteed script if you're in WD, they're legally* medically and ethically bound to help you out. They may not taper you off benzos, but they'll usually refill your last prescription identically but sometimes they only give you like a max of for example, 30 days worth. Your former benzo doctor was prescribing them, so IMO they should have to taper you off since they put you on it and it's life threatening to abruptly discontinue long term benzodiazepine use, I still can't believe that some doctors don't know this. I'm surprised you're having so much trouble finding a doctor who will help you too.

Sorry we can't refer you to anywhere specific that's not the purpose of this website, try google for that, but any emergency room will treat your situation as the life threatening situation it is, because if you were to seriously injure yourself after, permanently disabling you or killing you die on their watch. Patients being refused or denied reasonable medical care, is not good reputation for the hospital. The ER is a last resort measure but it's totally legitimate medical concern to take there for those who are heavily dependent or long-term benzo users. It shouldn't take long either since they cant take any chances about you having a seizure, it's one of the fastest refills you've ever seen, but after that script you have to find another Dr willing to prescribe it, and if it's just to taper you off, many doctors who normally may not script benzos at all, will do so since they're helping you get OFF a drug.

My experience and $0.02

*legality varies depending on your location on the globe / what country you're in.

Last edited:
^
with benzos it matters more how long you take thems than how much.

I can take say between 50-80 mg of diazepam for a week with no WD's but a much smaller dose of like 10-20 for a couple of months will put me in WD

i think that because I didn't think benzo's were addictive at the time , I just didn't ever notice it....

i gave up klonopin a couple years ago, but before that I had a RX for ten years off and on, (alongside my 60 mg adderall a day RX) Maybe because I really only took klonopin when I was taking adderall, the effect of giving them both up together was no benzo WDs?

^^so unhelpful.

OP, i feel for you. your doc is a fucking moron for keeping you on 2mg clonaz and then stopping abruptly without entertaining the notion of tapering.

but, 2mg clonaz isnt a life threatening amount to jump off imo so in a couple of weeks you should be feeling much better.

in the mean time, have you tried valerian root (might help some with the sleep and anxiety) or some of the milder RC benzos like diclazepam? if you feel like its getting dangerous and you cant get help then try the ER or the diclazepam and taper at a rate you are more comfortable with.

i really recommend that you get off benzos though. maybe if you just sucked it up it could be better in the long run....

This is awful to hear, but he cold, hard truth is to just go cold-turkey off benzos. I've been there too. I was on a 50mg Diazepam a-day habit for just over 3 years and your right, the withdrawals do suck more so than getting off of anything else.

Trying RC benzos is not going to help exactly. It will just become worse as you will only have yourself to deal with when buying benzos and this will eventually end up with your mental health getting worse as the habit gets worse. Like smacky said, the best thing is to just suck it up and cope. Read up on breathing techniques, anxiety-reducing thought patterns etc.

It took me atleast 3 months going cold-turkey to get over my benzo addiction. Now, I barely ever use benzos, 1-2 every few months if i'm lucky. You will get awful nightmares, cold-sweats and insomnia but its part of the process.

Your doctor MAY be able to put you on some Sertraline or something similar to help but giving you another benzo is just going to prolong the process of kicking the habit.

I was trying to be helpful smacky , just read the thread, i wasn't familiar with withdrawal from klonopin at 2mg dosage ... never even happened for me a little , and i was on it daily for years, would stop cold turkey without even thinking about it.... many different times ... All i'm saying is that maybe the benzo WD hype thats been going on bluelight is not helping anyone, they would be better off in ignorance.... perhaps 2mg dosage is nothing to worry about quitting cold turkey.... on the other hand , like i stated, maybe my adderall prescription had a lot to do with my 'not experiencing any benzo withdrawal whatsoever'

^sure benzo wd sometimes is hyped, but then there are people experiencing pretty bad withdrawal after just a few weeks/months and acute withdrawal can lead to seizures and death

I was trying to be helpful smacky , just read the thread, i wasn't familiar with withdrawal from klonopin at 2mg dosage ... never even happened for me a little , and i was on it daily for years, would stop cold turkey without even thinking about it.... many different times ... All i'm saying is that maybe the benzo WD hype thats been going on bluelight is not helping anyone, they would be better off in ignorance.... perhaps 2mg dosage is nothing to worry about quitting cold turkey.... on the other hand , like i stated, maybe my adderall prescription had a lot to do with my 'not experiencing any benzo withdrawal whatsoever'

i wasnt trying to jump down yor throat, sorry. i do get what you mean about the fear of withdrawal making it worse, but unfortunately the OP is in wd's and is very aware of it.

i do agree that he should probably just stay off them if possible however.

Why did your doc all of a sudden take you off them? That doesn't make sense. That said I think in order of awfulness of withdrawals benzos are at the top, followed by alcohol, opiates and cocaine. Don't know where meth falls in that list.