Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

I attempted to extract some DXM...

Dextrodan

Greenlighter
Hi!

I'm new on this forum, so sorry about it. I live in Canada.
I discovered dextromethorphan trip capacity by accident. I had a bad cold (or bronchitis, whatever) and I coughed a lot. I used some Benylin cough syrup to help me get through the day. But once, I took too much. Not a large dose, but enough to make me feel dizzy. I was scared a bit and when I got home, I searched about it and discovered people used it to get high. So, maybe a couple of weeks later, I decided to give it a try with some friends but I didn't know a lot about it. It was a failed attempt, as we had just eaten. After this, I decided to search about DXM on many websites (Erowid, etc.). Again a couple of weeks later, I took a generous amount of cough syrup and had a really nice trip with two of my friends. :D I'm aware of the dangers of abusing cough medicine, but I liked the fact that it was legal and easily obtained. I bought cough syrup with only dextromethorphan hydrobromide in it (3 mg/mL) as an active ingredient. There was also no alcohol in it. I really enjoyed it and plan on doing it again. =D The only thing I didn't like is having gastric distress (mild stomachache, flatulences and diarrhea) the next day.

That's why I came to the idea of extracting it. I read a lot about it again. Due to my limited ressources, I had no choice but to make an acid-base extraction with ammonia and naphtha (in my case, Ronsonol lighter fluid). So I bought what I needed and followed a tutorial to do it. I chose to not use lemon juice nor citric acid (agent lemon) and let the lighter fluid evaporate by itself.
Here's what I've done:
- In a 2 L Coke, I mixed the DXM HBr-only cough syrup (250 mL) and an equal amount of Goldex ammonia (unscented, no phosphates). I put on the cap and shook the hell out of it for at least 5 minutes.
- I then added about 30 mL of Ronsonol lighter fluid
- I shook it again for 5 minutes
- I opened a Ziploc freezer bag and poured my solution into it
- I sealed, hung and let it sit for almost an hour (I had other things to do, I don't know if it mattered to let it sit for more than 15-20 min.) to let the lighter fluid separate from the ammonia and syrup
- I made a small cut in the bag and disposed of the ammonia and syrup and I collected the lighter fluid + DXM solution in a Pyrex plate
- I let it sit overnight so the lighter fluid would evaporate and there would be only DXM the next day.

But when I woke up the next day, there was still some lighter fluid, and I was gone for the day, so I let it stay like that the entire day.
When I came back, no more lighter fluid, only a sort of a gel sticking to the plate. Have I done this s**t right? It doesn't smell ammonia or lighter fluid. It mostly smells like menthol (?, there was no menthol in it) and it is pretty strong. It does taste bitter, but fresh (?). I don't trust it :p.
Could you give some advices or explain me what happened and why it's not a powder or cristals, but a clear gel?

Maybe am I just wasting my time with DXM anyway? But I liked the trip :/
I know this thread was quite long, Sorry about it. :p

Ok thanks. But do you think this batch is safe to consume even though it is not the expected form?

I second the hotplate... This happens with ketamine most notably... It'll be a thick clear viscous gel but more heat and time and that last bit of fluid will be gone and should leave you with at least a powder... Doubtful you'll get crystals because you aren't recrystalizing it