• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help hydrocodone withdrawal; sudden cessation of meds possible i am very scared; 63 years old help?

You don't need to worry about a cardiac incident, etc. How long have you been taking it?

What is the indication for which its prescribed? Though i suppose its irrelevant.

If it is difficult to find a replacement prescriber, buprenorphine is readily obtainable, now from online prescriber (the practice of which i personally condone as it should be accessible). Alternatively you could look into kratom. In your situation I'd say something like 3.5 grams every 6 hours should result in little withdrawal symptoms. Get a red strain, like red strain bali. It comes in capsules. Of course it is addictive so you are merely transferring a habit.
how about a nervous breakdown because im half out of mind; im a widower caring for a profoundly autistic adult child with my other daughter; my day job is im producer in show business surrounded by a group out of a ray donovan episode; including sicilians ( im half sicilian ); government types ( i am strictly licit ) ( i just want to put on shows ) but any big business show business or otherwise is a jungle very very pressured; i am doing the work of about a dozen people and though in excellent health and extremely youthful; age is age; there is tiredness; the other thing is i use medical cannibas edibles to amplify the hydros which works for the pain but makes me sleepy; between the diverticulosis the ibs; the anal spasms etc; none of which are at all medically serious; but its the kind of discomfort that is inside you and you cant get away from it; and i have to ambulate; im flipping over this; i know what im being told by the pracitioner; strange standards i know arent true; and now they make me come every month for a chronic set of circumstances that hasnt changed in 4 years; that its about them being surveilled for whatever reason and that they would articulate bs to me; major practice at major hospital is terrifying in and of itself

i am 63 year old on 30 mg of hydrocodone per day 7.5 mg 4 times a day; have legal prescription; i am masters level psychologist and recently have noticed things in my pain doctors practice that lead me to believe the situation may be unstable; i run out of meds wed ; if suddenly i am without medication; at this age 63 asthmatic ; i could have cardiac incident; acute psychological episode; if all of a sudden my drugs stop; and i go into withdrawal what do i do ? go to emergency room? etc: ask for clonadine buopernorphine? im sure im spelling it wrong; help ; i am terrified ; here in little neck queens
question how about the medical thc medical cannibas; does that help with any withdrawal

the practice began to articuate standards for care that i know cannot be legal; exogenic standards that make no sense; for example; we only go down in dosage never up; now im not on heavy doses of oxycodone or percoset etc; and people take way more than 30mg a day; i was on 37 1/2 and they cut me back for no reason after years; if anything my condition is chronic ; i have ibs; and rectal pain issues and now diverticulosis ( the non infected one ; itis osis? i forget which ) ; what i am being communicated; now i have to be seen by the office every month for a static condition for a drug they put me on; this says to me that someone in the office was dealing or something with the books; and maybe not the principals im dealing with; but they are under scrutiny and the appearance of the office seems to be the governing factor; on top of which i am being told stuff that cannot possibly be true; thats the scary part; from 37 1/2 mg of hydrocodone there is no way to go but down except in cases of end of life; I KNOW there are people with multiple pain killer prescriptions and those on much higher doses than me for very bad backs or diabetic nerve pain etc etc; that i am being told what i know cant be true; ( me two psych masters; psych/forensic psych ) and theyre doing it with a straight face; that is unnerving; i am looking for new provider; where can i get a tool to measure out the kratom; its coming in a 250 g pouch?

Search "gem20" scale on amazon, they cost $25.

As far as a suboxone prescriber i cant recommend a provider, just search online. They are not available in certain states however.

Medical marijuana might help a little. Might not help at all.

I do not think you are a silly old man. I didn't say that. I am exactly your age. I get it. I really do. Just take a deep breath and call them on Monday and straight up ask them if you are getting your refill that is due on Wednesday. This worrying may all be for naught.
i am a silly old man; i keep calling my practice; the np doesnt get back ; when i spoke to her; she said its just her and the doctor in the practice now; i have been in various fields; including forensic research etc; something is very wrong there

You don't need to worry about a cardiac incident, etc. How long have you been taking it?

What is the indication for which its prescribed? Though i suppose its irrelevant.

If it is difficult to find a replacement prescriber, buprenorphine is readily obtainable, now from online prescriber (the practice of which i personally condone as it should be accessible). Alternatively you could look into kratom. In your situation I'd say something like 3.5 grams every 6 hours should result in little withdrawal symptoms. Get a red strain, like red strain bali. It comes in capsules. Of course it is addictive so you are merely transferring a habit.
ive been taking it for 4 - 4 1/2 years; i can find a replacement prescriber; but the way its hard to get an apt; there could be lag of weeks couple months; also i have crazy pharmacist who will only fill prescriptions from one doctor; i had dental surgery and got a prescription for 3 extra pills and he wouldnt fill it like i was doctor shopping; it was crazy

Take a deep breath. You are assuming that come wednesday ( it is sat. today ) that your GP will somehow come under some kind of investigation and you MAY not get your refill. This is because you have a masters in psychology and you are picking up some vibes ? You are talking yourself into something because you are afraid you are going to lose your script.

Even if the clinic comes under investigation ( or is currently embroiled in one ) everyone gets ONE 30 day script to hold them over so they have time to get a new Dr. There have been 3 Dr.s here in the last 10 years that were shut down for over prescribing. Each patient got 30 days worth to hold them over ( another Dr. steps in and writes for a 30 day period ) then goes back to his own practice. Might be different where you are but most places realize that even addicts need 30 days to either get on Suboxone or just quit altogether.

Your intake of Vicodin is very low. Very low. I took 40 to 50 mgs at a pop twice a day and I was still able to get off rather easily ( when the streets dried up ) with kratom. Vicodin's short half life was the key. If you have true verifiable pain, I am pretty sure any Dr. would prescribe the very small amount you are on. I am also 63 and I would be a candidate for a script but my sorry ass abused the hell out of opioid pain meds and all the Dr.s in Michigan got my number a long time ago. I would have to move to another state to ever get opioids again. You don't know for sure anything is going on with your clinic. Come right out and ask them. You are just assuming all of this and maybe getting yourself all worked up for no reason. Take a deep breath and call them on Monday and say you are due for a refill on wednesday. See what they say and go from there. Good luck.
its not a clinic its a very high end practice in a rich neighborhood at a world famous hosptial ( i am on medicaid because im in the arts lol )

what sucks is they put me on the drug; upping me slightly from codeine; i didnt even know it existed; and now they treat me like a junkie? and i dont drink; i havent cheated; i dont do any street drugs; i shouldnt be being hassled like this over low prescription of low end opiates; people are on a hell of a lot more; and as one ages and ones pain gets worse; one should be able to ask for small increase etc?

its not a clinic its a very high end practice in a rich neighborhood at a world famous hosptial ( i am on medicaid because im in the arts lol )
the scary part is they are changing protocols because something is going on with them; ( it is not a pervasive cdc or whatever directive like im being told; no increases in drugs no matter what etc; something is going on at the practice and they are couching in terms of standards of practice i know dont exist; and that i am being told something that isnt so and cant be; thats whats terrifying; because once you are in that ballpark etc; then anything is possible

i have bad ibs; nerve spasms in my colon; diverticulosis ( the one that isnt infected ) so without the pain meds im curled up in ball sleeping a lot

Hi and welcome to Bluelight <3 I wish it were under better circumstances.
I too have been through opiate withdrawal and it is not fun. It is pretty uncomfortable but it is NOT life-threatening. I know you're scared, but please be assured that you can and will get through this just fine.
Please remember that your anxiety and panic about your situation are likely to be much more harmful to your heart condition, than the actual opiate withdrawals. So please try to remain calm <3
The other 2 guys have given good advice.
Let us know how you're doing okay? You will be okay.
i have no heart condition just borderline high cholestorol; no high blood pressure; i look about 40; my body looks about 30; i look like dorian gray; but inside where it counts im old and mushy lol ; everything hurts and the stress of old age and still working 12 - 16 hours a day ; and the pandemic; i lost my mom at 92 feb 2020; she was likely in part due to the covid virus; so there is all that in the air generally; we are all as a society on edge; and i still have to work close deals; etc; i went into the theater lol and media; not lawyer or doctor like i could have been so i dont have forever money? retirement? hahahaha; so the level of stress is off the charts

That is not a bad thing cause it will bring your anxiety down. And kratom is strong enough to control 30mg hydrocodone daily.
thank you so the kratom will stop any major withdrawal effects? the mayo clinic says kratom is evil lol; but i should always ask a bunch of other druggies lol; i look like a druggie; lol; after the covid and not getting my hair cut; have hair like howard hughes lol; very clean bathe twice daily etc; but i look like a hippy druggy bastard lol and am treated accordingly; and im like but you prescribed this; you suggested this? and my symptoms my report of illness for chronic condition hasnt changed in 4 1/2 years

Hi and welcome to Bluelight <3 I wish it were under better circumstances.
I too have been through opiate withdrawal and it is not fun. It is pretty uncomfortable but it is NOT life-threatening. I know you're scared, but please be assured that you can and will get through this just fine.
Please remember that your anxiety and panic about your situation are likely to be much more harmful to your heart condition, than the actual opiate withdrawals. So please try to remain calm <3
The other 2 guys have given good advice.
Let us know how you're doing okay? You will be okay.
i have no heart condition just 63 and asthmatic; im in pain but im in great health

Thanks for posting and welcome.

You are experiencing standard opioid dependence. I know how insane it can me.

Does your doctor know what's going on? Did your doctor cut you off? What's going on in which you went from 30mg/day to 0? Did you use too much and run out?

This is generally not something you should go to the ER if you simply ran out of vicodin. In the vast majority of scenarios opioid withdrawal is not lethal or dangerous in most cases. However these things can be complicated by other underlying health issues.

Thanks for posting, I know you are scared.

Are you completely out of meds with no option to get a script?

I am no doctor but withdrawaling from 30g/day of hydrocodone is not going to trigger any sort of major cardiac or asthmatic event (I'm no doctor!! It's unlikely to have that sort of reaction)

Worst case scenario - you keep going cold turkey and you're going to feel awful for another 3-4 days, but it's not going to kill you. You're going to feel crappy for several days after this, but it gets better every day.

Kratom is about 100x LESS dangerous than hydrocodone. Come to BL for your drug info, or psychonaut wiki, etc... don't google such information as it will be false or misguided in most cases.

Once you get your kratom I suggest starting with about 6-10g grams and go from there. See how well you can tolerate it before you go for more (it can produce nausea).

Until you get familiar with how kratom effects you I would keep your doses below 12g max. More than that may make you quite nauseous. Experiment liberally, but in general 15g doses or 30g per day maximum is what I would recommend.

Also it should be noted that kratom will interact with many medications that hydrocodone will not. Kratom has a more complex pharmacology.

Taking too much kratom will make you EXTREMELY nauseous, so don't go crazy with it :)

I actually vicariously enjoyed your kratom journey. Solving that anxiety and withdrawal brings an odd sense of satisfaction to myself. Heh.

welcome to BL
ive done this whole thing totally straight totally legally no street drugs; no drinking; and because i think they know i also enjoy the feeling ( i am a fiend lol by nature lol ) they look at me with the long hair etc; suspect; even at this age; i look much much younger about 40 no wrinkles brown hair and i get stopped on the street by cops routinely taking a walk or out with a friend for a drive because " there have been a rash of car thefts in the neighborhood " or they stop me on the street; " how we doing young man " ; im the one everyone assumes " did it " regardless of what it is lol

Kratom is about 100x LESS dangerous than hydrocodone. Come to BL for your drug info, or psychonaut wiki, etc... don't google such information as it will be false or misguided in most cases.

Once you get your kratom I suggest starting with about 6-10g grams and go from there. See how well you can tolerate it before you go for more (it can produce nausea).

Until you get familiar with how kratom effects you I would keep your doses below 12g max. More than that may make you quite nauseous. Experiment liberally, but in general 15g doses or 30g per day maximum is what I would recommend.

Also it should be noted that kratom will interact with many medications that hydrocodone will not. Kratom has a more complex pharmacology.

Taking too much kratom will make you EXTREMELY nauseous, so don't go crazy with it :)

I actually vicariously enjoyed your kratom journey. Solving that anxiety and withdrawal brings an odd sense of satisfaction to myself. Heh.

welcome to BL
i am on medical marijuana; i take 10 mg of statin lipitor i think for higher cholestrol and linzess for the constipation from the drugs and the ibs? but thats it ; im not on anything in particular

This is very well a country wide issue and has been slowing increasing for awhile in sentiment. Them telling you the new protocol is to only have end of life patients on opiates is true, that’s what the “research” indicates is the way to go and many practitioners are following suit.

I had cancer and was given nothing…. Cuz despite it being nasty, I wasn’t for sure on my death bed so that really wasn’t on the table for me.

The facts are the research claims opiates long term are not good for chronic conditions, they tend to cause hyperalgesia over time. And almost always invariably lead to addiction.

And then there’s just the regulatory scrutiny these practices are coming under, they’re more likely to undertreat these days to save their own ass on paper.

It sucks but we’re all paying for big pharmas oxy push 20yrs ago.

-GC

thank you so the kratom will stop any major withdrawal effects? the mayo clinic says kratom is evil lol; but i should always ask a bunch of other druggies lol; i look like a druggie; lol; after the covid and not getting my hair cut; have hair like howard hughes lol; very clean bathe twice daily etc; but i look like a hippy druggy bastard lol and am treated accordingly; and im like but you prescribed this; you suggested this? and my symptoms my report of illness for chronic condition hasnt changed in 4 1/2 years
Kratom, bought from reputable sources, isn't generally very hard on your body. I believe that your stomach will get upset long before any liver damage is made. This liver damage thing is true if taken very high doses for very long time and I believe that it stems out from population of SE Asia where kratom is native and where they use it a lot (to replace opium). People in SE Asia use it for very long time to help them with labour and it is true, some of them have problems with liver and skin darkening due to kratom. But I don't believe that you will come anywhere near that kind of level of usage and there are many members here, myself included, who have used kratom in high doses for a long time and have no issues. Let me ask you - is your hydrocodone acetaminophen/paracetamol or are those hydrocodone only pills? I ask cause acetaminophen/paracetamol will cause liver damage much easier and more quickly than plain leaf powder kratom. Hope youre doing well. :)

This is why it's a good idea to keep a copy of all the paper work that you sign in the begining when you first begin seeing any doctor. All those terms and agreements that we've became accustomed to ignoring can come in very handy for issues like this. Most doctors have you sign a pain contract if they are gonna be giving you any type of controlled substance. They usually have some kind of tapering policy unless you've broken one of their rules that calls for direct dismissal. This could vary by state tho so you might wanna check. But if you signed anything like this you could read over it. It might explain exactly what you can expect in this situation. I am so sorry you are going thru this. Be mindful about what you are ruminating on. Anticipated fear is a huge trigger and can make everything so much worse. The way we are perceiving any situation dictates a lot of how we will experience it. Look at what you can control about the situation and focus on that. Let go of all the stuff you have no control over. The protocols in the medical field are constantly changing. Most of it has to do with protecting liability. Don't worry about all that stuff. Just make sure you got your own butt covered lol. That's all you can do. The info you are getting from all the others is completely on par. They seem to know what they are talking about. You gotta a lot of good advice here. I hope it all goes well for you and your pain gets better!

Kratom, bought from reputable sources, isn't generally very hard on your body. I believe that your stomach will get upset long before any liver damage is made. This liver damage thing is true if taken very high doses for very long time and I believe that it stems out from population of SE Asia where kratom is native and where they use it a lot (to replace opium). People in SE Asia use it for very long time to help them with labour and it is true, some of them have problems with liver and skin darkening due to kratom. But I don't believe that you will come anywhere near that kind of level of usage and there are many members here, myself included, who have used kratom in high doses for a long time and have no issues. Let me ask you - is your hydrocodone acetaminophen/paracetamol or are those hydrocodone only pills? I ask cause acetaminophen/paracetamol will cause liver damage much easier and more quickly than plain leaf powder kratom. Hope youre doing well. :)
THANK YOU GUYS THEY FILLED THE SCRIPT; I GOT CRAZY; BUT YOU HEAR OF SUCH THINGS; AND SOMETIMES THE WAY THE DOCTORS TALK TO YOU; PHEW

THANK YOU GUYS THEY FILLED THE SCRIPT; I GOT CRAZY; BUT YOU HEAR OF SUCH THINGS; AND SOMETIMES THE WAY THE DOCTORS TALK TO YOU; PHEW
i think with aging with the pandemic with all the pressures of life to first add in having to kick drugs suddenly i couldnt handle it; im a widower; i care for a profoundly autistic adult child; i run a major boutique production unit on no money; i deal with killers 24 7 and its like if i had to deal with one more heavy thing my brains would come out my ears like a smoothie; thank you guys so much for your support; but what will i do with all the kratom? ( and the scale? ) ( and the medical cannibas i ordered in bulk? )