• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hydrocodone - brand, changes, discontinued

Manderson4040

Greenlighter
Hi all. I feel like I’ve been on these forums for decades….as a reader, Great to be a poster now too!

I’ve been taking Hydrocodone for 12 years. Long term injuries, but manageable. After a few years of trial and error going back and forth between meds, I found these Hydrocodone pills made by qualitest, then Par, that were yellow and had a V3601 on them - they were the ONLY drug that gave me pain relief with no side effects. The other brands - and I have tried them ALL - either made me anxious, tired, unfocused, or gave little relief. Once I discovered these, I was set.

They were discontinued last October (2021). I cannot find a replacement and I’ve been suffering tremendously as a result. While giving me pain relief, they also gave me energy to go to work, and a deep sense of calm, confidence, and always feeling “right”. These other pills make me feel in pain, sleepy, and wrong.

My doctor is working with me to find a replacement. What do you guys think that might be? I’m looking at trying tussionex, and Endocet as my next two. But would love some opinions from people who know about these meds, who have been in my situation, orrrrr advice in general!!!!!

THANKS

Those yellow 3601's were made by Watson and they were a bit better than the ones made by Mallenkrodt ( sp )

I was a vicodin lover when i used and I always liked to see when my connect got the yellows as opposed to the whites.

Actually the Watson's shouldn't have been better as the other brands have the same ingredients but I do agree that they SEEMED better.

Not sure what med is best for you I was just commenting on the 3601's.

Good luck finding what's right for you.

I should also say - I tried mallinkroft percocets - that was no good! Lasted about 45 minutes !

Those yellow 3601's were made by Watson and they were a bit better than the ones made by Mallenkrodt ( sp )

I was a vicodin lover when i used and I always liked to see when my connect got the yellows as opposed to the whites.

Actually the Watson's shouldn't have been better as the other brands have the same ingredients but I do agree that they SEEMED better.

Not sure what med is best for you I was just commenting on the 3601's.

Good luck finding what's right for you.
After a tremendous amount of research, what I’ve learned so far is that it comes down to cost … and the process in which the molecule is derived and how the medication is made, all affects the effects of the med. stinks how different they all are !

I can't really offer any advice as I am not a big trier of hydrocodone (always found it weak no matter what brand), but I just wanted to say, welcome to finally having an account here. :)

The same as the yellow v’s? Or as other generics? I haven’t heard great things about them - have you tried it?
Yes, I have have tried them but in capsule form. They are now pretty much blacklisted & banned due to whole "Purdue" thing. Being it a X.R version of Hydrocodone.
I'm just wondering have you tried switching to other forms of Hydrocodone i.e (Lorcet, Lortab perhaps even Liquid like Tussionex)

I would also say Codeine Tylenol #3's or #4's perhaps with Tramadol might be right for you.

I would highly recommend Zohydro it is the same Hydrocodone but time released.
Probably going to be ultra expensive as this is not a generic medicine that is still on patent. Depends on if your insurance will foot the bill.

OP:

I'm surprised you've found such a difference in hydrocodone. I've had them all as I was prescribed hydro for a long time and I didn't notice much of a difference.

Hydrocodone is hydrocodone. The effects of hydro will be exactly the same.

I'm wondering of some excipient put into the bad pills is making you ill or causing these problems.

Did you compare all the inactive ingredients across the different pills to maybe single out a filler that is making you ill?

Have you tried cold water extracting and seeing if you still get a bad result?

Yes, I have have tried them but in capsule form. They are now pretty much blacklisted & banned due to whole "Purdue" thing. Being it a X.R version of Hydrocodone.
I'm just wondering have you tried switching to other forms of Hydrocodone i.e (Lorcet, Lortab perhaps even Liquid like Tussionex)

I would also say Codeine Tylenol #3's or #4's perhaps with Tramadol might be right for you.

Here’s what I’ve tried for the norcos :

M367 - it always gives me a little anxiety and irritability (and the yellows took 100% of that away)

IP110 and G067 - they were relaxing but I felt a little “off” and fuzzy

Wes 303 - they’re nice, good body high, and mild, but they don’t pack a punch like the v3601’s

T259/257 - they have the energy for sure, but almost zero euphoria.

Liquid lortab - worst brand I’ve taken. Felt off and weird the whole night

Liquid Hydrocodone - one from vintage pharma and the other from PAI - PAI was better, a nice little hydro buzz.

Tussionex - just tried it tonight for the first time. The antihistamine makes me incredibly tired and I almost fell asleep 3 times. It does last a while though but I definitely wasn’t my talkative self while on them.

I tried one Percocet by mallinkroft a few weeks ago. It felt a little … artificial? I can’t really explain it….

I’m totally at a loss. Any recommendations. Feeling so depressed.

Probably going to be ultra expensive as this is not a generic medicine that is still on patent. Depends on if your insurance will foot the bill.

OP:

I'm surprised you've found such a difference in hydrocodone. I've had them all as I was prescribed hydro for a long time and I didn't notice much of a difference.

Hydrocodone is hydrocodone. The effects of hydro will be exactly the same.

I'm wondering of some excipient put into the bad pills is making you ill or causing these problems.

Did you compare all the inactive ingredients across the different pills to maybe single out a filler that is making you ill?

Have you tried cold water extracting and seeing if you still get a bad result?
I’m hearing potentially it’s the stearic acid that the yellow v’s had in them that maybe I absorbed better? You can see my post above …. I don’t know what it is…. I don’t know where to turn to next!

Tramadol was an interesting one - it was nice, but the comedown from it was really tough on me emotionally. May have been the SSRI’s in it?

D
I can't really offer any advice as I am not a big trier of hydrocodone (always found it weak no matter what brand), but I just wanted to say, welcome to finally having an account here. :)
Did you try the yellow V’s ever before? What’s your preferred med and brand?

Tramadol was an interesting one - it was nice, but the comedown from it was really tough on me emotionally. May have been the SSRI’s in it?

Tramadol doesn't have an SSRI in it... tramadol is tramadol, but it has both opioid and SSRI activity (as well as norepinephrine - it is an SNRI actually, besides its opioid activity)

Tramadol doesn't have an SSRI in it... tramadol is tramadol, but it has both opioid and SSRI activity (as well as norepinephrine - it is an SNRI actually, besides its opioid activity)
I tried tramadol today - it isn’t bad, and it actually lasted a long time. I don’t feel as “sharp” as I do with the yellow norco and it’s pain relief felt minimal, but honestly, it was better than a lot of the white generic Hydrocodones i had been taking. And relative to tussionex, it gave me some energy vs making me drowsy and out of it / which I really liked.

You seem really knowledgable on this subject. I loved how the old brand of norco gave me energy but also made me 100% relaxed, sedated but very confident and focused. The pain relief was perfect. Do you know what a good alternative would be for me? Is there one? I don’t want to and try hydro morphine or something like that… I don’t want to be inebriated … would love your thoughts.

Oxycodone is stimulating but it is also much stronger than hydrocodone, but at the right dose it is not inebriating. It's way more addictive than hydrocodone, though, and the street supply (at least in the US) is almost all fakes, which are pressed fentanyl pills and are very dangerous... you don't want to get mixed up in that.

Kratom works well for some, if what you're looking for is mild pain relief and energy. It is an opioid but it's a weak partial agonist. Hydrocodone is also a partial agonist, and I'd say they're kind of on par, except kratom has a number of other receptor binding sites. It can produce dizziness and nausea pretty easily if you dose too much, and if you have an opioid tolerance, it might not give you what you're looking for.

back in the day, I had tried hydrocodone a number of times and never got what the big deal was, but when I tried kratom, I absolutely loved it, it's what got me into a lifetime of addiction to opiates. I have a very addictive personality, though.

My recommendations being that I've been on it all.

I think the last poster was right try KRATOM if you want. But, make sure you get the right strain and I'd highly recommend the buying it in Liquid form versus taking huge horse pills.

And again, I would say Codeine esp. Codeine Phosphate. I know what it's like to be in pain and want the right medication it's also possible to try a new Doctor.