• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How to turn raw opium into smokeable opium + how to smoke it traditionally?

Not a bad book but same as “Hydroponic heroin” (that someone mentioned in other thread) it has amount of incorrect information. It’s been a long time since I read those to name specifics but most of disinformation will be obvious to most bluelighters so I don’t mean to discourage anyone from reading it but keep in mind that if your aim is to learn best practices concerning poppies and opiates you’re likely find more correct and refined information on some online sources, like on forums dealing with given topic.
Really? What a bummer. What exactly is false in the book? I haven't read the practical stuff yet, but the historical part and the description of the endorphin system seems to be correct as far as I can tell.

Really? What a bummer. What exactly is false in the book? I haven't read the practical stuff yet, but the historical part and the description of the endorphin system seems to be correct as far as I can tell.

It’s not a bummer, it’s a decadent book. And much more so than “Hydroponic heroin” that’s simply outdated as it gets (like using shellfish and other by nowadays standards at best mediocre substrates). I honestly can’t point something concrete like that from Opium for the masses as I really forgot but I’ll go trough it again when I find time and refresh my memory about what’s worth correcting.Again, I think it’s not waste of time to read it but there are some things that now almost 20 years after it’s written are proven to be better or different than previously thought. As with many things it’s in fact a great start to read a book on some topic and proceed with your own research so I really didn’t meant to sound as it’s best to just skip to online resources, apologises cuz I sounded like that.

@SpiralusSancti

No need to read through that book. The latter book which I have linked is actually way better after having read the extract. It covers everything from seed selection to ripening, harvesting and breeding on 89 pages (colored photos) and even includes good legal advice. I think I'll buy a physical copy of that one and see if it is worth the price. If not, then I'll just return it.

This is how my opium looks like btw. It can't be really rolled into a "pill" as it is hard as stone.

For some reason I couldn’t see pic before but now that I do I can tell you by the look of it that it’s a proper stuff. It was cured for long enough. Raw opium has to have that kind of crystaly look to it after it’s cured for long enough, it can be darker or lighter in color than your stuff but it has to have that crystaly look and if it doesn’t it either wasn’t cured for long enough or is too weak and therefore should be refined before use. Lucky you :)

For some reason I couldn’t see pic before but now that I do I can tell you by the look of it that it’s a proper stuff. It was cured for long enough. Raw opium has to have that kind of crystaly look to it after it’s cured for long enough, it can be darker or lighter in color than your stuff but it has to have that crystaly look and if it doesn’t it either wasn’t cured for long enough or is too weak and therefore should be refined before use. Lucky you :)
How does one properly cure Opium?

Simply by leaving it in low humidity for a long time, sometimes years. The older the better is more true for opium (speaking of raw opium) than most wines.

Yeah, when I mentioned my idea of publishing a book on the subject to the folks in the drug gardening subreddit (where I was somewhat active during my grow), there was a very strong response; at least 50 people wh commented expressing interest in the book (along with many direct messages as well).

I feel like I would like to do one more Tasmanian grow to test a few theories but I could absolutely author a book right now based on my experiences. Maybe i'll get back on it; I already have an outline and an introduction written. I was also thinking of writing a separate narrative section discussing a bit about the different varieties of poppies themselves, the characteristics of those poppies, as well as some basic phytochemistry of p. soms etc. Would be nice for it to be a standalone book with a little heft to it (rather than just a 40 page grow manual with some pictures and instructions).

The only deficit to my book would be that I know nothing about hydroponic or aeroponic poppy cultivation, all of my grows have been indoor soil grows. That said, most indoor growers will use soil given it's comparative ease (and the ability to fit it into a spare closet). I was able to get these two plants into a 3 foot by 3 foot tent (these are the fast growing GMO poppies):

And this was a mix of afghan whites and giganthemums in the corner of my garage:

But yeah, no good indoor grow book exists. There is a book called "hydroponic heroin" but it is pretty awful.
In your garage makes sense. I've been wondering how you grow poppies indoors with grow lights. I've tried starting them under grow lights, tried starting them outside or on the windowsill to be stronger, but they just wilt with indoor temperatures. I think my only hope might be to grow them over mid winter completely under lights instead of spring/summer.
I grow them outside round the back of the house, sure, but I don't like milking them too obviously. I do what my granny did and boil them up later after removing the seeds. If I had a hidden grow I could in theory get lots, in practice they die indoors.
Another consideration is that plants in the ground have deep roots I guess, they keep producing day after day for up to a week (I select my best ones to grow again next year) while in a pot, even outdoors, the milk dries up after a day or two at most.
Both indoors and outdoors adding the amounts of fetiliser you would give to a cannabis plant seems to kill a poppy.
I've not seen any literature on indoor poppy cultivation ever, so I assumed it was just very difficult to impossible.
When do you score them? I wait 4-5 days after the petals fall off, the pods grow quickly in size then, until cut.

Simply by leaving it in low humidity for a long time, sometimes years. The older the better is more true for opium (speaking of raw opium) than most wines.
is there age opium you can buy in certain Asian markets? or it super illegal and not a chance of scoring opium unless its from a real sketchy source or your getting ripped off in america cause why sell opium when u can sell fent and make ton more money

I’m sure it’s not hard at all in some Asian countries (but in some also a huge risk because of very high penalties). I forgot where but up until today people use raw stuff because they prefer taste of it and it’s really potent anyway so they refine it only for export. I think opium became so rare not only cuz it’s not really potent or that most people would chose pure morphine or derivatives but also cuz opium users don’t escalate dose so much and therefore aren’t as good customers for greedy people. Also because of duration and mix of alkaloids most people wont increase frequency of use. For me opium is not fiendish, one good dose orally in my experience not only doesn’t produce urge to redose when it wears of but even leaves me in feeling content. Mix of alkaloids is surely reason for that as while pure morphine isn’t really fiendish either after it wears of redosing feels a lot more tempting.

I never used opium for more than a month or so and stopping it didn’t really caused Wds but I’m sure it’s a whole different story when you stay on it for months or years and are in fact stopping cocktail of many alkaloids. Even so world be a better place if opium was in place of fent. I believe in all aspects but it wouldn’t deal with overpopulation as fent does. Overdosing from smoking opium seems like really unlikely for a healthy persons with any sense in them and overdosing from oral is also not something likely to happen to someone with some basic info. Most potent raw opium I had tested was almost 25% morphine and while I wouldn’t mind doing more than 125mg of pure morphine without tolerance, taking 0.5g with about same amount of morphine feels a lot stronger, in fact too strong and amount of 0.35g is just enough. I suspect different morphine absorption from opium (it take hour or so longer to kick in) plays some role fact that it feels stronger than same amount of snorted morphine surely confirms that it owns that property to so many alkaloids working in perfect synergy. And noding on opium is more dreamy than on any single opiod I tried.

In your garage makes sense. I've been wondering how you grow poppies indoors with grow lights. I've tried starting them under grow lights, tried starting them outside or on the windowsill to be stronger, but they just wilt with indoor temperatures. I think my only hope might be to grow them over mid winter completely under lights instead of spring/summer.
I grow them outside round the back of the house, sure, but I don't like milking them too obviously. I do what my granny did and boil them up later after removing the seeds. If I had a hidden grow I could in theory get lots, in practice they die indoors.
Another consideration is that plants in the ground have deep roots I guess, they keep producing day after day for up to a week (I select my best ones to grow again next year) while in a pot, even outdoors, the milk dries up after a day or two at most.
Both indoors and outdoors adding the amounts of fetiliser you would give to a cannabis plant seems to kill a poppy.
I've not seen any literature on indoor poppy cultivation ever, so I assumed it was just very difficult to impossible.
When do you score them? I wait 4-5 days after the petals fall off, the pods grow quickly in size then, until cut.

As far as when to score them, the best is to wait until the pod reaches its terminal size, and the crown points upward.

Personally I think 4-5 days after the petals fall off is way too soon. This was taken 4 days after petals fell off:

And here is the same poppy 9 days after the petals fell off. Notice the upward crown. It had also stopped getting wider. It is now ready to score:

But yeah, the temperature must be kept low. Definitely not something you want to try in the summer unless you have sufficient air conditioning. Temperatures shouldn't exceed the low 70s, and they prefer the 60s.

t
I’m sure it’s not hard at all in some Asian countries (but in some also a huge risk because of very high penalties). I forgot where but up until today people use raw stuff because they prefer taste of it and it’s really potent anyway so they refine it only for export. I think opium became so rare not only cuz it’s not really potent or that most people would chose pure morphine or derivatives but also cuz opium users don’t escalate dose so much and therefore aren’t as good customers for greedy people. Also because of duration and mix of alkaloids most people wont increase frequency of use. For me opium is not fiendish, one good dose orally in my experience not only doesn’t produce urge to redose when it wears of but even leaves me in feeling content. Mix of alkaloids is surely reason for that as while pure morphine isn’t really fiendish either after it wears of redosing feels a lot more tempting.

I never used opium for more than a month or so and stopping it didn’t really caused Wds but I’m sure it’s a whole different story when you stay on it for months or years and are in fact stopping cocktail of many alkaloids. Even so world be a better place if opium was in place of fent. I believe in all aspects but it wouldn’t deal with overpopulation as fent does. Overdosing from smoking opium seems like really unlikely for a healthy persons with any sense in them and overdosing from oral is also not something likely to happen to someone with some basic info. Most potent raw opium I had tested was almost 25% morphine and while I wouldn’t mind doing more than 125mg of pure morphine without tolerance, taking 0.5g with about same amount of morphine feels a lot stronger, in fact too strong and amount of 0.35g is just enough. I suspect different morphine absorption from opium (it take hour or so longer to kick in) plays some role fact that it feels stronger than same amount of snorted morphine surely confirms that it owns that property to so many alkaloids working in perfect synergy. And noding on opium is more dreamy than on any single opiod I tried.
hats exactly why id love have oz of it for great end of the night pain relief and relaxation without the crazy withdrawal or increase in need of use

As far as when to score them, the best is to wait until the pod reaches its terminal size, and the crown points upward.

Personally I think 4-5 days after the petals fall off is way too soon. This was taken 4 days after petals fell off:

And here is the same poppy 9 days after the petals fell off. Notice the upward crown. It had also stopped getting wider. It is now ready to score:

But yeah, the temperature must be kept low. Definitely not something you want to try in the summer unless you have sufficient air conditioning. Temperatures shouldn't exceed the low 70s, and they prefer the 60s.
Perhaps it was the weather outside, I was waiting longer before scoring after reading jim hogshire's book, but I thought they were drying out by ten days. One plant last year was dripping constantly, I could hardly keep up with the amount coming off two huge pods, I left a pod of the same plant alone for the seeds but they didn't germinate, still got enough good seeds for several lifetimes so it won't matter, the chicks and hens don't give as much but might be stronger, I mostly grow those.

I did love that plant last year, just a plain red, no chicks, didn't look special except it was smooth across, no ridges on the pods. I was going out before dawn so the neighbours didn't see, then coming back a few times to collect the goo. It got the simple label "mega".
I can't wait for summer now!

Perhaps it was the weather outside, I was waiting longer before scoring after reading jim hogshire's book, but I thought they were drying out by ten days. One plant last year was dripping constantly, I could hardly keep up with the amount coming off two huge pods, I left a pod of the same plant alone for the seeds but they didn't germinate, still got enough good seeds for several lifetimes so it won't matter, the chicks and hens don't give as much but might be stronger, I mostly grow those.

I did love that plant last year, just a plain red, no chicks, didn't look special except it was smooth across, no ridges on the pods. I was going out before dawn so the neighbours didn't see, then coming back a few times to collect the goo. It got the simple label "mega".
I can't wait for summer now!

Yeah they may mature a bit faster outdoors. But definitely don't score until the crown is pointed up. Also, if you give the pod a light squeeze with your fingers and it has a good amount of flex, don't score. It should be firm.

But I found it best not to score at all and just harvest them at the end for tea. But it's hard to resist scoring at least a few.

I should really just make another thread for this but here's some of my flowers! I've never been the kind of person who was ever impressed by a flower (or put any thought towards them) but these flowers are a bit different:

Also, as far as deep roots go, yes it is true that they prefer large containers since they have long tap roots, but just as an experiment I did a test to see if I could grow a poppy to maturity in a tiny container, and I was surprised with the outcome:

You've started something now, here's some of mine from last year.
These are chicks and hens

I didn't take many of the different colours, each year they seem to get more lilac and red only, the pink and purple disappear over the generations

Then the size of the pods :)

The last one was a sister pod of mega, I left it alone for seeds, but they didn't germinate :(

Last edited:
I've found a good video on how to smoke Opium including some tips for anyone who is interested: https://piped.video/watch?v=5PdMSOUCEq0

Just one question: what is that metal stick he attaches the opium to? I wanna smoke via that method since it looks much more easy than using a pipe.

Edit:
forget it, he explained it.

Last edited:
I think it's the appliance of science. Typical Dutch dude. He's informed and knows his stuff. I don't think ANYONE can grow it to reach the level of addiction. At least not that far north.
But yeah, it's good. I think the papaverine is what makes it special. I think H with papaverine would work just as well... but then you end up needing H.

Can you grow them indoors?

Scroll up - images of people growing hydroponically.

As I think I mentioned, their are some related species of poppy and specific strains that produce no morphine BUT produce a stack of thebaine and oripavine - which one can quite simply convert to oxycodone or oxymorphone.

IF any Tazmanian BLer can get seeds of the 'Norman Strain', that has been specifically bred to produce only oripavine and specifically in the Tazmanian environment. Since their is no M produced, the fields aren't behind barbed-wire fences. If one can grow 37Kg of opium per hectare yielding 1.85Kg of pure oripavine.

Oripavine that according to WO2008118654A1 will yield about 1.4Kg of oxymorphone. Now it's not clear if, like H, acetylation of oxymorphone actually increases potency, but I know 3,14 diacetylation IS around x8 more potent... but I'm not sure if 3,6,14-triacetylation will be an issue.