• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

How to turn raw opium into smokeable opium + how to smoke it traditionally?

Hexenstahl

Bluelighter
I have some iranian raw opium left (1g) and I'd like to know the exact procedure to turn that into its smokeable form. I have heard somewhere that you need to prepare it with some kind of fungi, or cook and add something to it. Any opium connoisseur here who can help me out?

I'm also currently on a nostalgic trip and would like to smoke it in a traditional way, which is why I have recently bought an old 19th century chinese opium pipe at an auction that looks like the pictures you see below (a smaller 42cm version, not the 75cm type since that was too expensive for me). The seller told me it's made out of beech wood, so it's fairly robust and also explains why it's so heavy. The white circular thing is made out of some type of animal bone.
My question is how to properly use this device? How do I even heat that thing? I've heard that opium isn't really smoked, but vaporized. Is that true?

Raw opium can be smoked as is.

Refined cooked opium, known as chandu, is made by dissolving raw opium in hot water then filtering through cloth and then evaporating the water.

I strongly recommend against attempting to cook or refine opium if you only have a gram of it. You'll end up losing/wasting alot of it in the process. And again, raw opium can be smoked.

I would also recommend against using that pipe, but if you are intent on doing so I would get a bunch of fine screens and put at least 2 screens on the bottom of the bowl and cover with ash (tobacco or marijuana ash, but don't add any actual marijuana because it alters the effect). Then roll half of your 1g opium chunk into a ball and place it over the screen. Then place a screen over the opium. Using a very low flame on the edge of the bowl, try to ignite the edge of the ball. Once ignited the ball will stay lit as long as you keep puffing it. I've done this before and it works well. If the opium is legit it will stay lit. Alternatively, you could use a red hot metal poker and try to ignite it using that, then cover with a screen once its lit.

Smoking opium isn't like smoking heroin, you don't just take one or two hits. You keep on smoking it. The effect is fairly subtle at first. You have to keep smoking hit after hit, and eventually you become high. The high lasts for a while after you stopped smoking. You also have to smoke alot of it, .25g to .5g minimum depending on your tolerance.

Last edited:
Opium pipes are used just like oil burners (meth pipes, chicken bone, whatever you call it).

The opium is rolled into a "pill" and then placed inside the bowl and heat is applied to the outside by a special lamp. When it gets hot enough the opium will begin to vaporize and then you hit it.

I would Google tradional smoking methods to get the best info. I just did some googling and there is a lot of info about technique.

The basic info is on Wikipedia

Let us know how it goes. I've never tried smoking it via this method myself.

I think the only place where opium is still commonly smoked like this is Laos. I once tried to plan a backpacking expedition to Laos but it fell through.

Raw opium can be smoked as is.

Refined cooked opium, known as chandu, is made by dissolving raw opium in hot water then filtering through cloth and then evaporating the water.
Interesting. Why are there people who turn it into its smokeable form when you can smoke it as is?

You also have to smoke alot of it, .25g to .5g minimum depending on your tolerance.

Damn. Even with no tolerance? Guess I'll have to reserve this for special occasions then.

Let us know how it goes.
Yeah will do once I have bought the opium lamp. Gotta look out for a nice looking one on ebay.

About half of the morphine in raw opium is in the form of the meconate salt. That's why people eat 'yen pox' i.e. the ash left after the opium is smoked. In Marjane Satrapi's work 'Persopolis', her grandmother mentions eating it to make her eyelids droop to seem more alluring. Burroughs also mentions yen pox.

So don't simply throw the ash away - eat it for a bit more of a hit.

In H production, when the calcium hydroxide is added, it's partly to free it from the meconic acid (and obviously to form insoluble calcium morphinate). That's why the excess of Ca(OH)2 varies from region to region - they know that different harvest times affect the % of the meconate. They are amazingly good at telescoping down the synthesis so that a few plastic bowls, cheesecloth, a metal pot, pH paper and a car jack are all they use.

Last edited:
have they given GMO a thought for improving opium latex with increased precorusers from the actual plant? like using crsrpr or something of that with some genetic modification to make the pant over produce said compound.

Has CRISPR been used to modify the opium poppy? Well in studies. I would have thought that the therbaine/oripavine producing poppies would be of more import. Those precursors don't end up in the latex but throughout the plant making harvest more complex.

IF the latter has been done, Tazmanian Alkaloids will almost certainly own the patent. I haven't searched the patents because they do go to some lengths to obscure WHAT is undergoing GM. Someone else might have done it, but TA will own them or have an exclusive contract with whoever did. That's how TA rolls.

It would be interesting to see if they have patented there opium plants like some other farmers have with corn crops or whatever GMO they breed and patented

There are a number of supposed GMO poppies, one being an Izmir Galania variant supposedly modified by the chinese to mature very quickly. I grew these (they have tan seeds, not blue/black) and while they did mature fast, I was not impressed with the opium it yielded. Not especially euphoric. Nor was it especially potent by weight.

Hands down the best poppies I've grown are a Tasmanians high alkaloid variety derived from the seeds of southern british medicinal grade poppy farms. Really nice, crisp and clean high.

These are those plants:

The first time I made tea from those plants I could barely finish it due to an intense and overwhelming spiciness and burning sensation in the throat. I had never tasted poppy tea that tasted like that and half expected to become a victim of thebaine poisoning. Turned out to be the best opium I've ever consumed. I pumped the plants full of nitrogen and l-tyrosine, and the result was poppy pods that were multiple times stronger by weight than any outdoor grown pods I've ever consumed (and I've consumed alot of outdoor grown poppy pods, over 100 pounds worth).

The fast growing chinese GMO poppies sucked in comparison. Sedating but not much euphoria. The Tasmanians however had a real zip to them, quite stimulating, a bit oxycodone-like.

Interestingly, there was correlation between the "spiciest"/strongest pods and the presence of anthocyanins on the skin, with the brightest ones being the strongest:

Perhaps all that excess nitrogen l-tyrosine led to not only high alkaloid production but also production of these:

Last edited:
Interesting. Why are there people who turn it into its smokeable form when you can smoke it as is?

Damn. Even with no tolerance? Guess I'll have to reserve this for special occasions then.

Yeah will do once I have bought the opium lamp. Gotta look out for a nice looking one on ebay.

To make it more potent ofc and cuz many prefer taste of refined, less sweet, less earthy and more, well more opiumy. I smoked both raw (has to be hard as a rock and almost shiny, only best most potent stuff is worth smoking raw) and refined. And in both cases if it’s good opium you’ll need a lot less than 0.5g, if it’s any good, like average “traditional” stuff for example, 0.5g will be more than enough for two persons without tolerance for a really nice session lasting hours. Also ime best way to smoke opium is between hot knifes, but I never got proper opium pipe and that’s probably even better.

I had raw opium with insane amount of morphine, it was long ago but it was well above 20% and 0.25g orally (my preferred ROA with opium) was more than enough without tolerance and felt a lot stronger than 50mg of morphine sulphate alone, was significantly different and even longer lasting high. During my honey moons with opium, few times lasting about 1 month and with almost daily use during that time I never got higher than 0.6g or so even by the end of month. But it was always fire (20% is not bad even for refined, didn’t test refined stuff but it was really good).

There are a number of a supposed GMO poppies, one being an Izmir Galania variant supposedly modified by the china to mature very quickly. I grew these (they have tan seeds, not blue/black) and while they did mature fast, I was impressed with the opium it yielded. Not especially euphoric. Nor was it especially potent by weight.
How fast, from seed to harvest?

How fast, from seed to harvest?

Supposed to be 55 days from germination to harvest but it was a bit longer than that in my experience. That said, it did grow quite quickly, definitely quicker than any other poppy strain I've grown. But its better to wait for better pods like those produced by high alk Tasmanians. Also, Tasmanians produce more pods per plant (though the pods are smaller). Still, the yield is higher with Tasmanians in terms of dried pod weight. And high is way more euphoric as well.

I stopped growing poppies because I wound up with more opium than is good for me to have around, but if I were ever to grow again it would be exclusively high alkaloid pharma Tasmanians.

In anycase that was how i wound up with enough opium to play around with in terms of various methods of smoking. Yet, honestly, unless you have ounces of it to spare, smoking opium is a big waste. The high is better orally anyhow.

But its a cool experience to grow a plant, scrape it and collect the sap, then smoke it and get high. It was quite a trip to grow a plant that produces a resin, that when smokes, tastes exactly like tar heroin, minus the vinegar scent/taste. And if you smoke enough of it, it eventually feels like tar heroin too.

I should note my .25 - .5g minimum is for someone like me with a permanent tolerance to opioids. Granted i didnt have a tolerance at the time, but im the fairly rare sort of person who was years prior able to develop a pretty serious fentanyl habit ontop of his 380mg/day methadone maintenance dose. So even when i have zero tolerance I have a tolerance. My "bar" for feeling high is set pretty high, like muscle memory.

Last edited:
Good to know. What was average time for Tasmanians?

Took quite a while, something like 4.5 months. But it was grown indoors, and I was able to get two waves of pods. They grew in two separate cohorts of sorts. The first batch of pods were harvest after maybe 100 days or so, then a second wave came. The GMOs had two waves too but all said and done it was maybe 90 days. But the pods weren't nearly as enjoyable

Nah there is no way I'm gonna use GMO seeds. God knows how it changes your genome in the long term. Is it even worth growing poppies in a grow box? If yes, then I might try the persian white poppy seeds. They are supposed to be very potent. Until then though I'll try smoking the opium latex bought from DN dealers.
Btw, I have decided not to use the pipe I bought to smoke it. It's too precious and I don't wanna damage anything. I'll put it into my glas vitrine for decoration purposes only. How about using those:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KTYAAOSwHkdjTJEF/s-l500.jpg (looks like a methhead built it lol)

I like the last one. Could I just put my Opium in it, use a cigarette lighter and keep inhaling? It should work theoretically. With the ones made out of iron I could simply burn a tealight and hold the pipe over it.

Before I experiment with any of those I'm gonna try to put a bit of my Opium into my Smono Vaporizer just to see how it feels to smoke Opium. Maybe somewhere between 180 Celsius and 200? I'll report in a few hours.

thats actually really cool, so how does the process go with a heat lamp, you just keep it in liquid form and inhale the vapors coming off that?
that pipe looks awesome too, wonder if it has any opium residue...no of course