• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids HOW TO MAKE METHADONE DOSE MORE POTENT

REDRUMTURKZ99

Bluelighter
My current situation is I am already at 149mg daily of methadone but it just isnt enough. I don't want to go up any further because I would need 2 ekgs a year for any dose over 150mg. I have read a few different sources stateing that methadone has a higher BIOAVAILABILITY when taken sublingual "through the gums", I have also linked the source that claims this below. So in theory could I let my dose sit in my gums for a period of time for a stronger overall effect. An you don't have to tell me I know I'm a fien.also I would never i.v. this stuff not worth it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/245...ough,controlled conditions is relatively high

Im pretty sure that the reason you dont want to go up any further would still apply if you made your existing dose stronger. Like if you're at 150mg and anything above that puts you into the area where you would need to start getting two EKGs a year to be safe, making that 150 work more efficiently is going to put you into that same realm. Say if the way you take your dose now you get 125 of the 150 mg in effect, if you found some way to make your 150mg 100% bioavailable, you're now hitting the mark of needing to think about EKGs now.

Higher bioavailability doesnt mean making the same amount of drug have more effect on a mg per mg basis but the amount of the drug that'll get put into use from the total.

I could be wrong but im pretty confident this is accurate.

Id say you would need some secondary compound that would amplify the effects, whether perceived or not. Benzos, etc. Benzos are dangerous af mixed with opiates though

Im pretty sure that the reason you dont want to go up any further would still apply if you made your existing dose stronger. Like if you're at 150mg and anything above that puts you into the area where you would need to start getting two EKGs a year to be safe, making that 150 work more efficiently is going to put you into that same realm. Say if the way you take your dose now you get 125 of the 150 mg in effect, if you found some way to make your 150mg 100% bioavailable, you're now hitting the mark of needing to think about EKGs now.

Higher bioavailability doesnt mean making the same amount of drug have more effect on a mg per mg basis but the amount of the drug that'll get put into use from the total.

I could be wrong but im pretty confident this is accurate.

Id say you would need some secondary compound that would amplify the effects, whether perceived or not. Benzos, etc. Benzos are dangerous af mixed with opiates though
Everything has a different BIOAVAILABILITY depending on what route of administration is used. Meaning if you snort a .1 of cocaine an if you i.v. the same .1 of cocaine the BIOAVAILABILITY of the i.v. is stronger.

My current situation is I am already at 149mg daily of methadone but it just isnt enough. I don't want to go up any further because I would need 2 ekgs a year for any dose over 150mg. I have read a few different sources stateing that methadone has a higher BIOAVAILABILITY when taken sublingual "through the gums", I have also linked the source that claims this below. So in theory could I let my dose sit in my gums for a period of time for a stronger overall effect. An you don't have to tell me I know I'm a fien.also I would never i.v. this stuff not worth it.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/245...ough,controlled conditions is relatively high

If that indeed worked, it would wear off quicker, which might leave you in a degree of withdrawal in between doses.

I was on 380mg of methadone years ago, but it was an expensive private clinic where you could pretty much dictate your doses. I believe they did a peak and trough blood test, but I think it was more of a formality than anything.

But even at that dose I would still wake up in slight withdrawal in the morning, feeling cold, nose running, yawning, generally uncomfortable.

I tried many things to increase the strength of my dose, and nothing seemed to do a whole lot.

I even obtained a fluvoxamine prescription, which is said to increase blood levels rather significantly. Didn't do a whole lot from what I recall but this could work for you: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J069v18n04_02

if your able to split your dose and take it every eight hours this will help. The thing with tolerance is you’re always going to require more and the symptoms you’re attempting to treat will progressively get stronger and stronger due to the tolerance progressing.

You can extend the half-life of methadone by inhibition of the CYP3A4 enzyme in your liver.

This is dangerous because depending on the amount of inhibition the half-life could be increased to the point where the accumulation of methadone could become fatal.

Cimetidine (generic for heartburn commonly called Tagamet), Schisandra (an herbal supplement you can buy at Walmart or Walgreens), and White Grapefruit Juice are all inhibitors of CYP3A4.

Again, I highly recommend that you do not follow this course of action because it could result in your death from the accumulation of fatal levels of methadone.

You can extend the half-life of methadone by inhibition of the CYP3A4 enzyme in your liver.

This is dangerous because depending on the amount of inhibition the half-life could be increased to the point where the accumulation of methadone could become fatal.

Cimetidine (generic for heartburn commonly called Tagamet), Schisandra (an herbal supplement you can buy at Walmart or Walgreens), and White Grapefruit Juice are all inhibitors of CYP3A4.

Again, I highly recommend that you do not follow this course of action because it could result in your death from the accumulation of fatal levels of methadone.
Trust me I'll be fine.

What other meds are you on besides methadone? Inhibiting CYP3a4 will affect the metabolism of almost every drug that you take.
You are right I'm not going to try it until I'm done with my cycle of mavyret because mavyret uses the same cyp3a4 I believe

You are right I'm not going to try it until I'm done with my cycle of mavyret because mavyret uses the same cyp3a4 I believe
It's actually a very weak inhibitor of CYP3A4.

The only thing that could happen would be that It would increase the area under the curve of your hep C treatment meaning it would be in your body longer.

Not that I'm recommending you inhibit CYP3A4 while you're on the hep C treatment.

It's actually a very weak inhibitor of CYP3A4.

The only thing that could happen would be that It would increase the area under the curve of your hep C treatment meaning it would be in your body longer.

Not that I'm recommending you inhibit CYP3A4 while you're on the hep C treatment.
I wanted to also ask you, I have done some research that shows that the BIOAVAILABILITY of methadone is higher when you take it sublingual (through the gums) so in theory if I let my dose sit in my gums for some time will I get more of the methadone into my system than just drinking it?

I wanted to also ask you, I have done some research that shows that the BIOAVAILABILITY of methadone is higher when you take it sublingual (through the gums) so in theory if I let my dose sit in my gums for some time will I get more of the methadone into my system than just drinking it?
Well your information is Actually backwards. Methadone is much more bioavailable orally than sublingual.

Methadone is orally bioavailable from between 80-97% depending on the individual. I just had to look up multiple sources for oral bioavailability.

"[23] 34% of methadone can be absorbed sublingually from a concentrated oral solution or syrup"

Also, sublingual is under the tongue through the mucosa.

Buccal is through the gums and I can't believe that would be any better than sublingual.

Also, sublingual is under the tongue through the mucosa.

Buccal is through the gums and I can't believe that would be any better than sublingual.
Thank you for you help I really do appreciate it. Have a wonderful life.

"A real man never quits what he loves in this life he learns to moderate"

Thank you for you help I really do appreciate it. Have a wonderful life.

"A real man never quits what he loves in this life he learns to moderate"
No problem.

But just to be clear, all the literature points to ORAL BIOAVAILABILITY being the highest of any ROA with the exception of IV.

Testosterone can have a significant effect on how you feel increasing feelings of anxiety etc. Treating low test can have a significant effect on how you feel and may help with the effects of the methadone.

I successfully got off methadone and oxy over ten years ago. Before i did i got on Testosterone replacement therapy. If i hadn’t done this i don’t think i would have been able to get off.

Low T can have really significant effects and if you’re low you will likely feel much better if this is treated.

Another test i would ask for is vitamin D as many methadone patients are low on this and this can have pretty significant effects as well. It’s really easy to treat with an inexpensive vitamin.

Just looking for things methadone often causes that may be treatable to increase your standard of living.