• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

How to excell at life?

I like to contextualize how well I’m doing with how well other people in my community (ie, the community I grew up in) are doing. Usually when you make those comparisons you come off looking pretty good, unless you really fucked up somewhere along the way. I feel bad for a lot of kids raised online these days cuz their “community” is literally the entire globe, filtered through the artificial world of the internet.

My role model for what an admirable life looks like is (fortunately for me, I know many aren’t fortunate enough to have good parental figures) my father, who was respected in his community as a successful professional but kept to himself and didn’t try to impose his will on other people…he let his actions not words do the talking and I’ve always admired that

I think i would enjoy travel vlogging. It wouldn't be purely about the money so much there as being self sufficient in paying for itself.
Yeah, that does sound like fun.
It's just when i watch some of these other guys content and see how many views they are getting/money they are making seems like an easy way of making money in this day and age!
Keep in mind that you never hear about the thousands of people who tried this but never got anywhere.

It's like movie stars. The top celebrities we all know make it look easy (by definition that's what really good acting is) and of course they rake in the millions. But the vast majority of actors are struggling to get by, waiting tables and such. We never hear about them.

QUOTE="jasperkent, post: 15957498, member: 364280"]
Yeah, that does sound like fun.

Keep in mind that you never hear about the thousands of people who tried this but never got anywhere.

It's like movie stars. The top celebrities we all know make it look easy (by definition that's what really good acting is) and of course they rake in the millions. But the vast majority of actors are struggling to get by, waiting tables and such. We never hear about them.
[/QUOTE]

The thing is i feel like most are over complicating things.

Like literally a 10k investment into travelling and a go pro. And provided you actually upload the content surely within 1 year that is basically paying for itself. As in all travel expenses, food, accommodation etc will be covered.

You don't need to be hitting a million viewers etc to be making enough to get by and continue to travel.

100% truth this man. The sad part is most of us fail to apply this to ourselves. I've been reflecting alot lately on my own terrible decision making.

Totally agreed mate. They sell the persona, alongside the content. Alot of these guys the content even is quite heavily recycled because their persona is what the viewer tunes in for mostly. That said all these big charasmatic personalities i think most are purely put on for the camera. I believe the camera in a way makes it easier for anyone to act charesmatic though, as your aware of being filmed.
That is the situation I am in. I screwed up but things aren't that bad; just going no where, I should have never abused alcohol and been more serious, picked another major in college and I would have a comfortable life. I also screwed up with at least 2 chick's whom were marriage material. Could have brought them to meet my parents types but also smart, pretty and no major issues of concern.

I am the black sheep of the family( immediate, aka parents and little sister) I ended up as the last one standing.(alive)

shulgin-hug.jpg

The inner strength to be a better person every day is our greatest gift. Take action.

That is the situation I am in. I screwed up but things aren't that bad; just going no where, I should have never abused alcohol and been more serious, picked another major in college and I would have a comfortable life.
Same here.

Also, if I'd known I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Same here.

Also, if I'd known I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

That is a big one that for me aswell. I'm only in my early 30's but stimulants, benzos, alcohol all took their tole.

These days i even exercise alot lighter than i used to and try not to smoke at all cos its just no good for me to be using anything much really.

These days i even exercise alot lighter than i used to and try not to smoke at all cos its just no good for me to be using anything much really.
I don't take hard drugs as much as I used to and I rarely drink, but I'm still smoking a pack and a half of Marlboros every day.
50-year habit.

I don't take hard drugs as much as I used to and I rarely drink, but I'm still smoking a pack and a half of Marlboros every day.
50-year habit.

Not gonna lie that's savage and you should quit asap bro. Even just switch to piping a little bit of weed. Tobacco felt worse for the health than most drugs i've tried. No benefit to be had from the effect just pure poison.

Not gonna lie that's savage and you should quit asap bro. Even just switch to piping a little bit of weed. Tobacco felt worse for the health than most drugs i've tried. No benefit to be had from the effect just pure poison.
Yeah, my New Year's resolution is to cut back as much as possible. I'm severely addicted to nicotine and I know I'll never quit completely. I'm trying to substitute Grizzly pouches and nic gum for cigs more and more.

Just thinking about cutting down on smoking led me to light up just now.

*cough*

I think [successful] content creation is business, and like all business you have to work hard and it's often not fun.

If you want to travel and have YT pay for it then you have to be prepared to film all day long, which is work, and then discard as much as 80% of it, because it's not fun to watch, and then do more work editing what you're left with into clip to upload that may get enough views to do well if you're lucky and the algo shines on you.

I do think it's possible to become successful enough, if you're dedicated enough to keep working even on days or weeks when you hate hate hate hate it (and not getting paid), and if you're smart enough to adapt to what the audience wants and maybe produce content further from what you find fun because it means money.

Simple? Sure, simpler than some career paths. Easy? No, probably not easier than some career paths.

Yeah, my New Year's resolution is to cut back as much as possible. I'm severely addicted to nicotine and I know I'll never quit completely. I'm trying to substitute Grizzly pouches and nic gum for cigs more and more.

Just thinking about cutting down on smoking led me to light up just now.

*cough*
I was addicted to smokeless tobacco for 15+ years. It had a hold on me worse than cigarettes. Started young,13 and it was stronger than cigarettes which I now use since this summer. I make my own. I buy bulk cigarette tobacco and the tubes. I have a machine. Not a cheap little joint roller but a decent cigarette making machine. 200 tubes for $2 -US. And bags of tobacco around $5 per ounce(28 grams). It makes them cheaply and takes seconds to make and if done right, are perfect, almost like store bought packs at a fraction of the price.
I smoke less, because it requires more( a little) more effort

I smoke less, because it requires more( a little) more effort
For several years I rolled my own (Bugler, by hand, no filter) and it definitely was cheaper. However, it didn't take long for me to get really good & fast at rolling. I was smoking 25 to 30 cigs a day.

I smoke Marlboro Black 100s now but I cut off half the filter of each one so that I can taste them.

One positive came out of that rolling habit-- I can still roll a damn good joint pretty quickly.

In all honesty, I’d say make a YouTube on something you are passionate about and just be genuine.

You mention that you don’t want to have to act positive and happy all the time or something and while yes positivity is attractive BUT being genuine and authentic is more attractive to people imo. They feel like they connect.

It’s stronger than dangling a carrot of success. Feelings. People do things out of ambition but even moreso out of feelings.

Think of all the stupid decisions people make because of feelings. I feel hurt so I’m going to get drunk. She makes me feel like she loves me and is so beautiful so I give her all my money.

Those are examples obviously.

And secondly, being successful or rather achieving things or more importantly making progress in life is important to happiness I believe but there’s so much more. And it doesn’t have to be financial progress. Any kind of progress will do.

Also, look around you. Who’s around you or going to be around later. The people in your life is what matters. How we live, how we treat others, enjoying them while they are here and not taking their presence for granted.

The goal of life is to live good and die a happy person with few regrets of not trying something.

For several years I rolled my own (Bugler, by hand, no filter) and it definitely was cheaper. However, it didn't take long for me to get really good & fast at rolling. I was smoking 25 to 30 cigs a day.

I smoke Marlboro Black 100s now but I cut off half the filter of each one so that I can taste them.

One positive came out of that rolling habit-- I can still roll a damn good joint pretty quickly.
Pall Mall unfiltered are so good, they are more expensive because they are longer and you get more tobacco, and the taste is great