• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How to deal with constipation dealt by opioids

PurpleDANK9

Bluelighter
Hey everyone long time no see,

So the title says it all, how can I deal with constipation days when I use Codeine with Promethazine? Is there a tip that I can do to consume opiodes without getting constipation?

Have a nice day you all, stay safe !!

Besides take laxatives, drink lots of water / eat fibre, or take less codeine, that's about it.

Get an osmotic laxative like movicol and drink plenty of water.

Besides take laxatives, drink lots of water / eat fibre, or take less codeine, that's about it.
Get an osmotic laxative like movicol and drink plenty of water.

So, let me get this straight, The day I'm about to consume Codeine, I need to drink plenty water in that day?

Laxantives , hmmm I don't really know how to use it, and I don't want to poop water xD

So drinking water when I'm cosuming Codeine will be enough?

Drinking water might be enough but you won’t have diarrhoea if you’re only taking one sachet/tablet of movicol/laxido/any other osmotic laxative.

I always advise them when consuming opioids, it’s really not good to be constipated.

Do consider using the laxatives...I've gone a week or more without taking a dump before whilst being on opiates, and when it finally does happen, the amount of asshole tearing, blood and strenuous grunting isn't worth it.

Drinking water might be enough but you won’t have diarrhoea if you’re only taking one sachet/tablet of movicol/laxido/any other osmotic laxative.

I always advise them when consuming opioids, it’s really not good to be constipated.

I know that its not good, I can't be able to be constipated because I can flare up hemorrhoids ='(

Do consider using the laxatives...I've gone a week or more without taking a dump before whilst being on opiates, and when it finally does happen, the amount of asshole tearing, blood and strenuous grunting isn't worth it.

That is exactly what I don't want to happen... Ok I will buy some of that when I use Codeine. So , my next question is, when to use it.

Imagine me using codeine all day, when do I take it? Before, in between, or after?

I know that its not good, I can't be able to be constipated because I can flare up hemorrhoids ='(
Yeah well if you have them then you definitely need to be taking an osmotic laxative. Trust me on this.

Yeah well if you have them then you definitely need to be taking an osmotic laxative. Trust me on this.

Yes, I will trust your word. Because, I don't consume to often, because I like to stay in a point that I can stop the rotine of drug using.

But last time, it did flare my hemorrhoids, and that is a nono xD

Thanks for all your answers. =D

Eating more often helps to mini weetabix or shreddies cereal always have my going after a couple bowls I also purposely smoke a cig before going toilet as cigs have natural laxative effects I also don't smoke my gear if I know I can go toilet I will get my was on the toilet and start tooting away the smoke seems to cause a rush of bowel movements this also helps I have had no toilet problems what do ever for the last 2 years at least I got at least once a day when I first did codeine the constipation effect was monstrous but it quickly became less severe as tolerance developed.

I honestly don't know what people are complaining about when it comes to opiates all they do is make your stools a little bit thicker etc without going to much into unnecessary details I would raha rather have constipation then diareaha maybe more than the average person to as I have Crohn 's

Eating more often helps to mini weetabix or shreddies cereal always have my going after a couple bowls I also purposely smoke a cig before going toilet as cigs have natural laxative effects I also don't smoke my gear if I know I can go toilet I will get my was on the toilet and start tooting away the smoke seems to cause a rush of bowel movements this also helps I have had no toilet problems what do ever for the last 2 years at least I got at least once a day when I first did codeine the constipation effect was monstrous but it quickly became less severe as tolerance developed.

I honestly don't know what people are complaining about when it comes to opiates all they do is make your stools a little bit thicker etc without going to much into unnecessary details I would raha rather have constipation then diareaha maybe more than the average person to as I have Crohn 's

It's just because i got internal hemorrhoids, and I don't want to flare them up. I do prefer constipation then diarreah

Prunes, soluble fiber and good’ol water are your friends. Docusate sodium, PEG 3350, and Milk of magnesia are helpful if you’re trying to avoid explosive shits. Senna or biscodyl can help in the short term, if you don’t mind explosive, cramping shits but neither should be used long term.

Both codeine and promethazine slow the bowel which causes the large intestine to absorb more water from fecal matter. Poop becomes harder and more compact the longer you’ve gone without using the toilet.

As far as timing, docusate sodium, and peg 3350 are best to take on an empty stomach with plenty of water any time of the day. Prunes, milk of magnesia or stimulant laxatives should be taken before bed with a glass of water. Taking any laxative product at the same time as codeine/promethazine may result in uncomfortable bloating, or may slightly alter effects.

You’re likely going to have to play around with multiple products to find what works for you.

The body adjusts naturally so in time for most. With the diminished euphoria--so comes immunity to the negative aspects of opiate use. However the items listed by above users do help if the constipation doesn't relieve itself.

My digestive system might be unique--but I've only had major constipation issues when stopping use. So an additional benefit of opiate withdrawal (already such a wonderful time) is severe constipation lol! Something to also consider which few people do--constipation issues can occur with quitting too.

It's just because i got internal hemorrhoids, and I don't want to flare them up. I do prefer constipation then diarreah
I have hemorrhoids to they are always coming down and up one time I remember they must have swelled up or something because they looked and felt like giant grapes but after having horrible horrible crohns disease inducted gastro issues such as diareaha I always prefer my stools solid now

Tip: flush the chain as soon as it comes out then again when more comes out instead of flushing it all at once saves blocking the toilet and having to unblock it like my poor grandma has to because I don't know how welcome

I’ve been a PN patient for 14 years and I suffered from severe constipation for years due to the oxy I’m prescribed to take daily. I’ve tried everything, Senna, stool softeners, fiber, etc. The severe constipation made life almost intolerable because I could only go if I took sennakot and was becoming immune to it the longer I was on it, so I’d have to keep taking more and more.
Then Mirilax went OTC - it was life changing for me. I started taking 2 doses of Mirilax daily until I was able to go without the aid of senna, then went down to 1 dose daily of Mirilax. Now I go normally everyday with no problems at all!

I stopped the Sennekot, but too late unfortunately, because years of using it has caused the lining of my colon to darken. So going forward I’ll have to get colonoscopies twice as often as a normal person since they can’t see polyps well due to the darkening caused by senna use. It’s puts me at higher risk of colon cancer.

A warning - be careful with fiber that bulks your stool! For every mg of fiber you take you have to drink a certain amount of water or it can cause your constipation to worsen.

I’ve been a PN patient for 14 years and I suffered from severe constipation for years due to the oxy I’m prescribed to take daily. I’ve tried everything, Senna, stool softeners, fiber, etc. The severe constipation made life almost intolerable because I could only go if I took sennakot and was becoming immune to it the longer I was on it, so I’d have to keep taking more and more.
Then Mirilax went OTC - it was life changing for me. I started taking 2 doses of Mirilax daily until I was able to go without the aid of senna, then went down to 1 dose daily of Mirilax. Now I go normally everyday with no problems at all!

I stopped the Sennekot, but too late unfortunately, because years of using it has caused the lining of my colon to darken. So going forward I’ll have to get colonoscopies twice as often as a normal person since they can’t see polyps well due to the darkening caused by senna use. It’s puts me at higher risk of colon cancer.

A warning - be careful with fiber that bulks your stool! For every mg of fiber you take you have to drink a certain amount of water or it can cause your constipation to worsen.
Yes exactly, an osmotic laxative is what should be prescribed for people on opioids. Movicol is the same thing as miralax. They won’t cause dependence, they simply bring water to the bowel which helps things move along.

When I take opiates this is what I do. I will get nice and high and then I will stop dosing and not take anymore once I’m good and high. Then I will wait about 12 hours usually at night when I sleep. then once I wake up the next morning it’s usually a long enough period of time that the opiates have worn off and I am able to take a shit. Once I shit then I get high again. If you do it this way instead of just staying high all night then you will avoid most constipation. I always wait to take a shit before I get high again. It’s hard to do but you just need self control. I’ve definitely stayed high for days on end especially with Heroin and when you finally take a shit it’s extremely difficult and painful.

when you finally take a shit it’s extremely difficult and painful.
Which is why I say, it’s good to have an osmotic laxative like movicol so that you can take a sachet or two and avoid constipation and the risk of haemorrhoids. It should be part of harm reduction advice for anyone who’s taking opiates/opioids.

Yes exactly, an osmotic laxative is what should be prescribed for people on opioids. Movicol is the same thing as miralax. They won’t cause dependence, they simply bring water to the bowel which helps things move along.

Thanks for mentioning that, I forgot to in my post. For anyone thinking of trying Mirilax I highly encourage you to do so, just be sure to drink plenty of liquids with it, the more the better.

Another very important bit of info on taking Mirilax - I can’t stress enough how important it is to make sure the powder has 100% completely dissolved in the liquid of your choice before drinking it. If it’s taken before it’s completely dissolved it will cause some seriously painful cramping in your abdominal area. I learned this the hard way obviously 🙄...
I always mix it with water or juice. I’ll fill 1/2 my cup and then nuke it until it’s luke warm, that allows Mirilax to quickly and completely dissolve. Then I add ice before I drink it or fill the remainder of the glass with cold juice, I can’t stand drinking warm beverages.