• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos how severe will this withdrawal be?

awrt

Bluelighter
Hi guys,

So over the past 2 years I have been taking benzos after my doctor initially prescribed me some valium which got me addicted. I usually take a small dose of diazepam once a week - around 10mg - usually on weekends to chill out. Very occasionally (about once a month) I will take another dose during the week on a Wednesday. Sometimes I have also had a week off taking anything - however this year I have been taking valium pretty consistently. In the past I have also taken diclazepam and etizolam - also around once a week (instead of valium).

Last weekend I had a big night with friends - ended up taking some MDMA & coke. During the come down I took 4mg xanax and 5mg valium. Then today (Monday) I took another 5mg of valium.

I am worried about my benzo use at the moment - particularly how severe this withdrawal will be. I really want to kick this habit but I am struggling. Is there any chance I will have a seizure? I hope my doses have been small enough.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you ever explored our Sober Living or The Dark Side recovery support forums? If you'd like we can move this there, although you should get some helpful support here in OD as well. Just let us know if you'd like your thread moved.

^ thanks. yeah I have read a lot of your Sober Living forums. At the moment I kind of just need some info about whether or not I am likely to experience any severe withdrawal symptoms. Will let you know :)

You need to provide more specific info on how much you've been using over the year. Such as daily dosage and per dose

As I said above over the past year I usually take on average 10mg valium per week - usually in one dose on the weekend. There have been weeks where I have taken another 10mg or 5mg dose during the week - however I only really do this once a month or so.

Then on some very rare occasions maybe 3-4 times this year I have taken 30-40mg in a dose. This was the first weekend in a long time that I had taken xanax as well.

The amount of you have been using, the length of time and the emotional attachment point to a slow taper. The nice thing is the drug and metabolites stay in your blood for a while. Valium is the drug that most people are tapered off benzodiazepines with. If you have a nice doctor, you could ask him to allow to taper down your medication. They actually make 2 mg Vallium/diazepam pills, to lower your dose. The slower the easier on you.

Thanks for your help. If i stopped cold turkey would there be much risk? I do have a supply of valium that i could taper myself with

I don't think u will have any sort of physical dependency from dosing Valium once a week....only 10 mgs at that, it has a long half life, but c'mon. Ur fine

Awesome thanks. I dont think i am dependant but just wanted to check.

^
I have to agree.

There should not (will not ;) ) be any issues at all.

IF any kind of withdrawal symptoms will occur they should (more like they _could_)"manifest"
as something such as: excitability, anxiety, exaggerated/irrational worries and poor sleep quality. All that is very unlikely!
Regarding your fear of seizures: This is, luckily, even far more unlikely!

So don't make yourself crazy. ;)

Just in case you could make a sensible plan to wean yourself off safely.

I got no time right now, otherwise I would give you an example of a plan to wean you off.
Maybe later in the day when I got time:)

^
I have to agree.

There should not (will not ;) ) be any issues at all.

IF any kind of withdrawal symptoms will occur they should (more like they _could_)"manifest"
as something such as: excitability, anxiety, exaggerated/irrational worries and poor sleep quality. All that is very unlikely!
Regarding your fear of seizures: This is, luckily, even far more unlikely!

So don't make yourself crazy. ;)

Just in case you could make a sensible plan to wean yourself off safely.

I got no time right now, otherwise I would give you an example of a plan to wean you off.
Maybe later in the day when I got time:)
Yeah one time a week should not give and w/d symptoms and definitely no seizures. (very, very unlikely to have seizures)

Awesome thanks. I dont think i am dependant but just wanted to check.

yeah if you aren;t using daily you wouldn't be dependent but always best to check :)
cold turkey if someone is heavily dependent on benzos can be fatal.

I see other people have posted saying similar things regarding your dosages and frequency an such so I'll just mention that benzos and booze are the only 2 truly lethal withdrawels so always keep that in mind. May be worth consulting a doctor to formulate a pan especially if your usage increases.

There shouldn't be much w/d from the amounts you are taking but word of warning....get out while you can. Benzos are sneaky as hell more so than any other drug in my opinion. I got hooked on them after watching my g/f get hooked and thinking to myself "how could anyone get addicted to something that doesn't cause much euphoria?"...well now I know. The answer to my question.....anxiety relief.

Actually Speed King is correct. You stated your use was 10 mg once a week and sometimes on Wednesday until this year. And then said you've been using more consistently over the past year. I've been through benzo WD and opiate WD and xanax was the most harrowing week of my life. I did rise again in 3 days kind of like Jesus (lol). But after 24 hours I had a weird internal vibration feeling and started twitching. It was so scary.

You also said you were struggling but not dependent. Obviously if you're struggling letting go there is emotional attachment. And you don't want to tell your dr it seems like you want that script. That's attachment.

I will I'll tell you once you WD, it gets worse every time you use. And faster. Maybe you're not to that point but you're giving mixed info.

Im not picking on you but this is harm reduction. I'd hate to see you experience it. I get chills thinking about it.

Last edited:
I just read your post again. You also said the script got you addicted. Very confusing.

I will I'll tell you once you WD, it gets worse every time you use. And faster. Maybe you're not to that point but you're giving mixed info.

this is a phenomena known as 'kindling' and you are very correct, its quite the ordeal.
that's some good info there Oxygal (ツ

Thanks. I hope I didn't come off like a bitch. There are red flags tho.